Re: windows 10?

I think I'm going back to W7. 10 is just too messed up to deal with all the fixes it still needs.

For example, e-mailing: I can be typing merrily along, but when I look at the screen, the letters either aren't there or they appear "late".

Is this happening to you?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Russell_Harding wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:

russ, i wonder if you just got a bad copy or something? mine seems to be working well so far...touch wood. i had a little problem with my printer but after a few hours of poking and prodding (metaphorically speaking) it cleared itself.  i also had to re-download my recording program and it wont even look at audacity! to be fair though it's never worked right on my PC anyway...but good luck

Phill I still have the opportunity to re install but I am leary I just dont want any damage to my laptop it did crash on win 10 once

I think I am going too wait,seems like there are to many problems at this point.I still have a lot of time left.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am having no issues with Win10 (I hope I am not tempting fate saying that). Everything is the same as it was apart from closing down is so much simpler.

Roger

P.S. I upgraded from 8.1.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I believe I'll hang on to 7 until I see all these little bugs worked out.

My PC with Windows 7 back boots in less than a minute!! that is from the time I hit the on to ready to surf and I know I aint going back to 10

"Growing old is not for sissies"

56 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-09 02:40:02)

Since I posted what I did and tried to go back to 7, I got the following screen:

"We're sorry, but you can't go back. Files needed for the transfer have been deleted."  (approximate quote).

I know what they mean. The "windows.old" files went missing probably due to something I did.

I can still reload 7 from the disks, I think. Can't I?

Thanks

Bill

PS: Heh-heh. Sounds ominous, doesn't it? "You can't go back." smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Thanks

Bill

Hey Bill, You have the original disks and you are installing back on the same hardware you originally put 7 on, so you should be "golden".

The product Key should match the one registered with Microsoft, so it should still come up as a "Genuine Windows" version and still be registered (although you might have to drop a dime on the support guys to verify that, IF it does not do so automatically).  Likely you will have a TON of updates to install afterwards, and you will need to allow the installation to reformat and partition the drive back to NTFS.  If you have a recent backup of your 7 system files and the (default) user directories on other media (portable drive or DVD or such), all of your programs, files and preferences should be fairly easy to restore from backup.  That should save you a bunch of work gathering/installing software and many updates.  If in doubt, there are tutorials and info on reverting on the Microsoft Support webpages.... and naturally some videos on YT I'm sure!!

Keep us posted on how it goes for you.
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Since I posted what I did and tried to go back to 7, I got the following screen:

"We're sorry, but you can't go back. Files needed for the transfer have been deleted."  (approximate quote).

I know what they mean. The "windows.old" files went missing probably due to something I did.

Thanks

Bill

Bill There is a folder in your program files called "old windows" if the contents are not deleted you can go back.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

They are selling new computers now with the win. 10 already installed,I saw this today on a home shopping tv channel they are offering a great deal on an H.P. laptop a lot of really neat things going on in the new 10 they demonstrated.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

60 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-09 18:56:59)

Does anyone know the procedure to do a clean install of 10. I think I have reached my level of understanding and have messed up some things such as Windows Update which isn't running, but says "Stopping". My screen is hanging up and my e-mail is for doo-doo. As I stated before, either the letters don't appear or they pop up "late".

I have been to links which talk about performing a clean install, but there are no instructions.

At present I am running an "upgrade" of W10. I don't know what it will do - probably mess things up even further. I cannot go back to 7 because the Windows dot old files are missing.

I have reached my level of understanding and wish I had never upgraded to 10 in the first place.

So..... anyone know how to do a clean install? If anyone has the knowledge, I'll PayPal you the money to do a remote control fix for me.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Good Afternoon Bill,  Clean install just means that the hard drive is giong to be, or has been reformatted so there are no files from the prior installation on it.

Generally you would just shut off your PC with the windows CD in the drive.  Switch it on and hit the "boot options" key when the first screen appears (commonly F12 or F2, depending on your brand), and choose CD drive as the first boot device option.  That should allow the CD to boot the machine and open the installation file.  Then choose reformat the drive C: and let the installation run through the process.  At the end of the installation, it should ask you to remove the disk and restart the computer (it will boot from the hard disk when there is no optical disk in the CD drive) and then you can restore your personal files and preferences from your backup.  You do have one made recently don't you? (fingers crossed);)

That should put you with a clean installation with your stuff back where it was before and with the possibility of reactivating your windows + a few updates...... ready to run!

Drop me a mail if you have additional questions, I check mine often.

Doug

Thanks, Doug........ Finally some directions, and I can understand them. smile

What I did in the meantime is run the upgrade and it apparently kept the files, because it remembered my password to here and to yahoo. I'm going to give this a try, and yes, I do have both 32 and 64 bit discs if and when I need them.

I really appreciate you coming to my rescue, Doug! Sometimes when this happens, I just sit here hoping something will occur to me. This time I didn't have to sit here long until I thought, "Contact my Chordie friends!" smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

63 (edited by Doug_Smith 2015-08-25 05:26:25)

Ran across this interesting perspective today and thought I'd share.   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct … frBSFjWAPQ

Darn I didn't think the link would be that Huge!!!  But an interesting read anyway.

Edited to add: (the link got bunches smaller once posted.... but it does work!)

I met with a business owner today, who runs a software engineering firm. One of her "super geeks" (her term) sent some time going through the coding for Windows 10. He concludes that it's so full glitches, that Microsoft will be very busy for months to come sending out patches to try and get it working.