Topic: Little League

Anyone follow Little League Baseball? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_League_Baseball

I grew up in the town where it all started in 1939 so I've always followed it. As kids we used to walk about 3 miles to the stadium because it was faster than driving. The town population swells from 30,000 to around 80,000 during Little League week. If you don't have a hotel room booked a year in advance, you probably won't get one. Most of my family is still in the area so I don't need to worry about where to stay. smile

This year there is a local team (Red Land) that ran through the gauntlet of playoffs to be one of the final 16; 8 from the U.S. and 8 international. I'll be watching this one closely and will be fighting the horrible traffic nightmare to watch the "Red Land" games at the stadium.

Here is the schedule and the teams that will be competing this year. http://www.llbws.org/gameinfo/schedule.htm

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-19 03:40:06)

Re: Little League

Nice picture. UJB. smile

Yesterday I read about the third base coach who lost his team's chance at the LL World Series, by making bodily contact as his player rounded third base and headed for home after a denied time out for the other team. How far had these boys come?
. Was it Semi-Finals?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-08-19 11:40:02)

UJB

I love watching the LLWS - pure competition - with innocence ( except maybe for a few adults)   - but great sportsmanship. The thousands of volunteers that make it happen are incredible.

I have been to Williamsport many times as two of my best friends lived in Hughesville and Loyalsock , both which are right next door.

I hope Red Land does well, but I am actually pulling for the South Carolina team.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I used to go to the concerts on closing day.  Just missed out on playing one of the concerts in a backup orchestra.  I had dropped out of that orchestra to take on some paying jobs, and then they got selected to play behind Chuck Mangione at a closing day concert.  What a drag!!  I did go to the concert and some of my friends were on stage with him.  They said he's every bit as nice and friendly as he seems.  His bus had broken down on the way to the concert, and he had had a late night concert the night before, so when he showed up for the concert he hadn't slept in 36 hours, but he still put on a great show and still took time out to sit on the stage and sign autographs and answer questions from fans afterwards.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love too watch the little league,there is no big dollars involved only some dumb parents sometimes.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Pa. win's their first game 18-0.

From what I've seen so far, I'm thinking it's going to be Pa. and Ca. for the U.S championship next Saturday.

Sports for sport's sake are always enjoyable. The thrill of the competition without the "big money" factor is what drives these young folks. I don't follow LL Ball, but while I was coaching U18 boys soccer, I often had to shake myself out of "fan mode" to get back to coaching. Watching these young men grow in their skills and success was a privilege I'll never forget.

Pa wins a real nail-biter tonight, 9-8, with a walk off double to win in the bottom of the 6th. Next game on Wed.

And Pa. is on to the U.S. championship on Saturday. smile

The final 4:

Texas vs. Pa

Mexico vs. Japan

Today is a day off for everyone.

What a duel last night between Texas and California.

Every player must play-  so cool.  Makes it a true team sport.
Grit,guts, tears and joy....... all located right behind sportsmanship !

I love watching the boys play - going to be a great final four.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Pa wins the US championship 3-2 in another nail-biter. Over 44,000 people in attendance.

Today it's Japan for the whole thing. They are expecting 50,000 for this one. That's nearly double the population of the town where the games are hosted.

The game will be aired on most ABC affiliates.

Quite a slug fest but in the end Japan came out on top 18-11. sad

Too bad for Red Line, but being national champions is surely an accomplish worthy of pride.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude