Topic: The Minor Keys

I have never taken a count, but when y'all post the lyrics and chords, I notice that many of you choose to play in the minor keys.

Is there a particular reason for that (easier to sing, etc.?) or is just that the subject matter may be sad or at least introspective?

Thanks and I love your music, whether in the minor or the major keys.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: The Minor Keys

Bill, for me it's the sound and feeling. There's something about going from a C chord to an Am chord. Or a G to a Em that just sounds right on a lotta songs. Or a D to a Bm and so on. Kinda like why a 5 chord sounds better when played as a 7th chord.

nela

I agree with NELA on that one Bill. It seems to add feeling to a song.

It spices up a three chord song.

Rick

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

I also like to use minor to major as in Em7 D C G (second position) and resolve to D

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well, I had to look it up, Russell smile : http://music.stackexchange.com/question … -resolved.

But thanks for giving me the opportunity to do that and study it being used by you and others, so that I can have something snazzy to offer up at the recitals I like to attend at the local college.

I'm serious, my friend. I had only a slight idea what the word meant and you're going to keel over in laughter when I tell you what I thought!

"I also like to use minor to major as in Em7 D C G (second position) and resolve to D"

Bill: Hmmm wonder what Russell means by that?

Bill's Brain: You moron! It means he plays those four chords in the Lotus position and then the whole rest of the song is in D!!"

So you see? Bill doesn't have much of a brain left, my friend. Maybe you can explain to me what the second position really is?

Thanks,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

When I heard "second position" I thought of Ballet!  Bill, don't worry... it's not rubbing off I'm that weird too! big_smile
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/s12/mann_t/images/positions.jpg

But I had to look it up... and while I could be completely wrong, I think Russell meant something more like this (and since I honestly don't know my scales, I don't totally get it... but I kind of do, in a way):
http://www.blguitar.com/lesson/intermediate/images/pent_box1and2.gif

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-09 14:34:26)

Yeah, Amy, I agree: We're either gonna have to go to Mr. Harding's website (been there) or get him to come back here and explain that 2nd position a little more explicitly.

I would also like to point out that no place in this thread did I make reference to the Kama Sutra in discussing the above ummm..... position.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I will do you one better I am going to video tape something I am making up on the fly using these chords and post it to you tube, I will use my TRIO device for bass and drums and add some other goodies. smile

Thank you Russell...I'm looking forward to learning something new.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

So am I. Thanks, Russell. Can't wait to hear it and I bet it'll be interesting!

B

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Ok so I had some free time this morning before the Packer Bear game and composed a progression of the chords listed above I also listed the progression in my notes on Youtube I have titled the song "Colors In The WInd"  and I hope you enjoy this smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCVflLL … e=youtu.be

12 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-13 21:13:56)

Russell,

Since I am the one who began the thread with my question, allow me to be the first to thank you "Vom ganzen Herzen" ("With my whole heart") for your time, effort and talents in showing me/us the very definitive changes from minor to major keys.

I wrote a comment on YouTube as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Colors In The Wind"! It is a beautiful tune, and I'm going to "kidnap" it and say you did it for me, since I started the thread about the minor keys. J/K wink

You ROCK, Sir!

Your friend,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Russell,

Since I am the one who began the thread with my question, allow me to be the first to thank you "Vom ganzen Herzen" ("With my whole heart") for your time, effort and talents in showing me/us the very definitive changes from minor to major keys.

I wrote a comment on YouTube as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Colors In The Wind"! It is a beautiful tune, and I'm going to "kidnap" it and say you did it for me, since I started the thread about the minor keys. J/K wink

You ROCK, Sir!

Your friend,

Bill

Bill Thanks and your welcome to "kidnap" it I forgot to mention this was videotaped with my Sony HDR MVI Movie cam it dont zoom or take pictures but has some big Mic's glad you gave a peek smile

Russell,

Whenever one of my Chordie friends lets me know there's something on the Cloud or YT, I try to get to either one as well as make a comment here, just in case. I don't always make it as fast as I like, but that's why I go back and forth.

My reasoning is: You took "X" amount of time getting set up, talking to us and then playing. It's only fitting that I spend the same amount of time listening and watching.

You didn't have to do that for me/us, but you kindly took the trouble, and I know to appreciate that.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Thank you it was my pleasure smile

going back to major/minor chords for a sec, one of my favorite bands namely YES, seem to end a song or two by going from a minor chord to a major chord which has a stunning effect.

there's also an old yardbirds song called "she's not there" where the song is in a minor key then changes to a major for the chorus then back.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill, and Bill (and all else)

I basically live in " Minor land"  when I am playing and singing anything emotional......

Those chords just reach into me and shake my soul.....

One of the first songs I ever posted on here was called " Minor man"  a song about a cheating husband. I used all minor chords (except for one e7)  to support the theme.

this was the first verse and chorus......

Intro
[Am] [Dm] [E7] [ Am]
[Am] [Dm] [Am,e7] [Am]

Verse 1
[Am]What began as a minor

[Dm] incident, has [E7] now  become the
[Am] main event

[Am] What seemed like minor [Dm] circumstances,                                             
  with [E7]inviting smiles , and
[Am]enchanted glances

Chorus
[Dm]You've got minor faith in
[Am]anything I say, I've [E7] blown your trust, and there's
[Am] hell to pay

[Dm]To say I'm sorry
[Am] just won't do, You've got [E7] minor faith in my
[Am]love for you
[E7]minor faith in my [Am]love for you

My wife often kindly asks me to sing with a minor voice, and sometimes with no voice at all ,  as well smile 

when Amy(Mekidsmom)  suggested trying Gerswhin's Summertime -  wow - I play it all the time - I love it. I use em,Am, B7,C7G a7

it has become my go to song.

I also love the friday fix by badeye.... and from that I almost always find abunch of blues songs that I never heard of... and discover more use of the minor chords.

Lastly, YES was one of my fav's in college. Listen to their albums many a night in the dorm.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke