1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-13 14:06:33)

Topic: "Your Song Reminds Me Of".. Or "You Sound Like...."

When folks say that to you players, meaning they hear in what you write/sing someone like Dylan, McCartney, Diana Krall (I'll get to HER in a moment), does that offend y'all?

I thought about posting this question, because of the "ruffled feathers factor", but then I realized we all have our big girl/big boy pants on and can take it.

I guess it's tough to find an original "voice" these days, isn't it? I believe the last available one was taken by Mr. Tom Waits (with no offense intended to Mr. Waits and/or his fans) and , in my opinion, Ms. Diana Krall (shut up, my beating heart!)

And what of the songs themselves, the music? Is it okay for me to tell you I hear strains of "Oh Let The Saints....." (farfetched example) in your tune?

All very touch stuff, isn't it? Especially written by a guy who can't hold a candle to any of the rest of you, but it isn't meant to annoy. Just a straight-out question.

And Jandle. You sound like Diana Krall, which is a COMPLIMENT of the hugest porportions.

There. I said it.

All the best

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: "Your Song Reminds Me Of".. Or "You Sound Like...."

I  think  being compared  to  a  successful artist  is  a  great  compliment  in most  cases and  it  often  shows  where   your  influences  have  come  from and   despite  what  some  might  say  we  all  have  influences   ,sometimes  these  are  submerged  either  on purpose  or  un intentionally  but  they  are there all  the  same ,I  would  say  my  influences  come  from a lot  of  the  60s uk  blues bands  ,Lou Reed , Pink Floyd  and  Jimmy   Hendrix , but  as  I  have  a  strong  back ground  in uk  folk  music  then sometimes influences  from  artists  like  Steel eye  span  ,Fairport convention and  Mike  Harding  often show  up in my acoustic   stuff.

Thank you, Graham, I agree. I've always thought (and so has Dondra) that you have the "Kristofferson Look". Have you ever performed any tunes written by Kris?

My all time favorite is "Pilgrim: Ch. 33"".

But back to the subject, I wonder how Tom Petty would feel if you told him his music sounded like Roger (Jim) McGuinn of The Byrds at times?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Me and  Bobby  Magee  when I  used  to  play  with  Cindy Scholl  in Greece

I was told I sometimes sound like Jewel.  I think she's pretty amazing, so I take it as a compliment.  What's funny is I listened to an interview once, and she thought she sounded like "a frog".  Ha ha!  I never thought that about myself! Glad I don't sound too much like her, I guess.  ha ha

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I've been told that I have a face for radio, and a voice for magazines. Oh well ...

It's better than hearing, "Well that was....different."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Oh, God yes! You nailed it, Zurf! smile

I 100% agree!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I have been told that I sound like Don Williams. I only wish I did. I was happy to hear it. A friend of mine did a CD and I told him one song sounded like Tom Petty  and another his guitar work sounded like Carlos Santana. He was also happy to be connected with them. I always thought if you were compared to someone known then those people enjoy what you do. No matter what I just keep plugging along.

Joe

That you sound like Don Williams is a great compliment indeed, Joe. I just had to pass up a $40.00 a seat ticket to see him nearby, and my wife and I love his music. So are you on SoundCloud, so I can decide for myself? Hmmmmmm? (he asks with an evil grin). wink

Kidding smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass