Topic: Problem with ad's

A couple of weeks ago I brought a new mobile phone, just an upgrade of my old Nokia Lumia. The problem is that now ads cover the top of the page. It never happened with the old phone neither does it happen with the desktop, laptop or tablet. It's a bit annoying as I do most of my browsing on Chordie using my mobile phone. It now means I can't post a new topic from my phone as the ads cover the title bar and also I miss half of the first topic because of the same reason. Any suggestions please.

Thick as two short planks

Re: Problem with ad's

Amy posted this very informative article in another forum, that might just be helpful to you:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28070

Enjoy your new "toy" and may all your problems be small ones;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

If your new phone is an iPhone then you might just have to live with it.
It been an on going problem with Apple iphone for a while. Admin knows the problem but it is still with us.
You can get rid of the ad by clicking on the the ad in the top right hand corner on a little icon.
This gives you option of removing the ad if it covers the page. Unfortunately this only works on the page you are viewing. It will be back on the next page you move to.
If your phone is not an apple then maybe something on Amy's sticky will work for you.
But don't hold your breath.
ark

Doug, thanks for the link, I'll check it out after I've had a word with arkady.
Ark, the phone isn't an i phone, I have clicked on the right hand corner of the ad. The ad just disappears but just leaves a blank space with 3 options. Ad choices. Ad  covers the page, then half a message saying , eeing this page. Click on any of those and I get a message saying thanks for the feedback, undo. Click undo and the ad reappears.
Thanks for the input, I wonder if any other chordieans have the same problem

My typical reaction to problems with computers, software platforms, and mobile applications:

http://timothypower.me/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/150522_443203159049195_1788393102_n.jpg

Tenement Funster wrote:

My typical reaction to problems with computers, software platforms, and mobile applications:

http://timothypower.me/blog/wp-content/ … 3102_n.jpg

I have that look all the time!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

keepitreal wrote:

I'll check it out after I've had a word with arkady.
Ark, the phone isn't an i phone, I have clicked on the right hand corner of the ad. The ad just disappears but just leaves a blank space with 3 options. Ad choices. Ad  covers the page, then half a message saying , eeing this page. Click on any of those and I get a message saying thanks for the feedback, undo. Click undo and the ad reappears.

Another variation on it then.
At least when I click on Ad covers the page the Ad goes and thanks me for the feedback. Only to return as soon as I move to another page on Chordie.
As yours is not an iPhone then the problem is more wide spread than I thought.
If you get round the Ad problem let us all know.
Another vagary I found this seem only to occur on the forums pages.
ark

Clicking on the ad doesn't work with Android, I can confirm that.  Please do check out some of the Suggestions I put out there which Doug has linked to Keepitreal, you should be able to find one that works for you (I suggest firefox and desktop mode)!

Ark, I didn't realize that you could get the ads to move out of the way on iOS, since it doesn't work on Android that way.  That's good news!  As I understand it, even if "view in desktop mode" did work on Safari, it would only work on the one page you are on - just like removing the ad - as soon as you go to a new page you'd be back in mobile view.  Safari is finicky that way.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have the same problem with my android tablet,seems you just have too live with it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Haven't sorted the problem yet, but but when it comes to internet, I really am as thick as two short planks, I just don't understand all that jargon. The easiest way round the problem for me is just to tether the tablet to the phone,

11 (edited by mekidsmom 2015-09-29 10:44:37)

Sorry guys!  I guess my details weren't detailed enough, or were too detailed! Let me try again.  When using an Android device, and you have ads covering the page, the best thing to do is use the Mobile Firefox Browser.  Here's some detailed directions with photos on how to download the app and request the desktop site to view Chordie as you would on your computer!  (edited to change non-working img to links for viewing

Android Only (I don't believe Firefox is available for iOS) -

Step 1: Download and install "Firefox Browser" for Mobile devices from the Google Play Store
(or come to the forums on your mobile device and click on this link to download it if you're not sure how to search the Google Play Store - when you click the link if you get an option to open in the browser or open in the store, choose to open in the store:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4zaa7 … sp=sharing

Step 2: Open your new Firefox App once it's installed (The first time it opens it gives you an option to Sign in, just click the "start browsing" under that big orange button.  No need to sign in.  This just allows you to sync your favorites between your phone/tablet/computer/etc ... all the devices you use Firefox on, which you probably don't need to do if you need to read these directions.  smile )

Step 3: Turn Device to Landscape mode (physically turn your device so the short ends are on the left and right and the long sides are at the top and bottom). Navigate to a page on Chordie that usually has ads covering the page.  If the ads are there and covering the page still, continue to Step 4.  If the ads are not in the way, CHEER!  They aren't in the way on my phone.

Step 4: Tap the Menu button (either below the screen on some devices or at the top-right corner of the browser - in my example, it is those three dots in the upper right hand corner).  Select the "Request Desktop Site" checkbox (you may need to tap "More" first if you don't see "Request Desktop Site" - this is likely if you end up with an older version of Firefox than I have just downloaded which is possible if you're using an older device that doesn't support the newest version of Firefox).

Step 5: The website reloads and appears as it would on your desktop. If the problem shows up again after navigating to a new page, repeat Step 4

Did that help?  big_smile

Grrr... Gotta go pick apples. I will fix the pictures soon! Sorry!!!!

OK, apparently google drive doesn't want me to be able to embed photos here - so you'll have to click the links to "see what I'm talking about" - they're fixed now.  Let me know if this info helps or not!!