Topic: Last May's NGD

I do not think I posted a picture of this Vintage 12er that I bought in May when I was last in the UK. I happened to accidentally walk into a music shop when I was with my daughter in Leyland Lancs and found this used baby, with a hard case, for £149:00... How could I refuse it??

Since then my brother has taken it to his local luthier, who has set her up for me and made a fantastic job of it. The action is incredibly low and it is so easy to play. I am dead chuffed!!

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11239689_1027775330587231_1786657305186279944_n.jpg?oh=e2d52c79fd365d4b8164f0bf64329532&oe=56A338FC

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Last May's NGD

Great   guitar  Roger I  think  Vintage  are  so  under rated  When I  bought  my   VS 535 I  compared  it  to  the  epiphone  335 dot  and the Gibson es  335  and  despite  being  the  cheapest  of the 3  the  vintage  played  and  sounded  best .

Happy ngd Roger

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Wonderful.  It's a beauty.  Knowing what you can do with a twelver, I'm glad you're sprinkling them about the continents awaiting your visits.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Beauty - Roger should have a 12 string wherever he goes. If you and Paul both make it to a chordiestock, I'll have to purchase a 2nd!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Its always so rewarding having a 12er handy for when the mood strikes. The Vintage is a beautiful guitar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Happy NGD day.  Hope you have more to come.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-10-02 08:56:29)

That's a pretty guitar, Roger ... congratulations. As Bluejeep says, it's always great to have a 12-string at hand. There's a lot of music that just sounds better on a 12.  "The Sound of Silence" and "Scarborough Fair" by Simon & Garfunkel come to mind, and there are many others.

Nice! I've played a couple of Vintage guitars & liked them. Bargain, too!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Roger

Very nice guitar.   

But for me - the novice -    can you tell me what the difference is in how to play this vs. a 6 string ?

I imagine the sound is quite different - just wondering - do you fret and strum the same ?

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

It is played exactly the same Jim, but you have double strings. The e and B are tuned the same but the G, D, A and E have the second string an octave higher. This tends to give it a fuller sound than a normal 6 string guitar.

This picture I found on the Internet shows it:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JYo3WEISrGM/maxresdefault.jpg

Next time you are in a guitar store, pick one up and try it.

Roger

OK ROGER -

your influence is spreading again.

I just ordered a fender 12 string acoustic.  I only got the low level one - just to see what is like and to see if I can actually play one. ( Heck - I don't even play 6 too good: )   but I just have to give a try ! ) Fender cd 100 12

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Wonderful, be sure to post photos and let us know how you get on with her when she arrives.

Roger

I was about 3 years into the guitar when I picked up a 12'er. It definitely required an adjustment. The neck was wider and I really had to work to get all the strings to ring. But after a couple weeks I had it down fairly well. Even bouncing back and forth between the 6 and the 12 got easier after a few months. I played it almost exclusively for the next couple years. I left it home when I hit the road for tour season. Didn't want to take a chance on damaging it. Still have it and play it fairly often. I took it to NY in August and Roger serenaded us with it. smile

Roger

Can't thank you enough- omg - do I ever love this guitar....sounds like I have a friend playing with me.  It made my song " My Child" sound 10 times better.

THANKS for the Advice on 12 strings!!
here is a pic of me and the new baby ! hope this link works

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r566/JK072652/5bf64558-01b7-45e4-87c6-aa1a26623186_zps5zoycc2b.jpg

Jim's in love!!! (and I cannot blame him) smile

Great looking guitar, I was expecting to have to wait a while longer to see her and get your opinion. I am sure you will have many wonderful hours together.

Roger

H.N.G.D. or perhaps H.N.T.S.G.D. lol

Nice guitar, TIG!

I was waffling between your Fender and the Takamine when I got my 12'er a few years ago, but ended up with the Tak simply because it was in stock. Looks like you're happily ready to "bring the house down".

Have fun with it!