Re: Digitech Trio

TIGLJK wrote:

OMG - Got my Trio today....   it took me a while to figure it out ... at least to get started......  but holy crap is this thing fun.

I can't wait to actually figure it out for real - as in knowing what I'm doing ! This is definitely $$$ well spent. 
Although my wife might disagree sad

Thank you  Russell !!   smile   smile    smile

your very welcome and happy picking smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

A few of you have had your DT Trio for a while now. How are you still liking them? Any buyer's remorse? Are you satisfied with the sound quality and versatility of the  gadget? I've saved for one, they're back in stock locally, but I'm never keen to buy something that will get tiresome in a hurry.

I know it's hard to be honest once you've parted with your hard-earned dough, but I'd appreciate a sober second look.

Thanks!

I've  found  that  it  can be  easy  to  make  mistakes  with  it  and  for  that  reason I  wont  use it  live  unless I  pre  record  the tracks .However  it  is  a  great  practice  tool and I  use  it  daily. I think  the  effects are  a  bit  basic and  I  also prefer  to  use it  through  a  second  amp or  through  the auxiliary channel of  my  line 6  spider 4

I still have one of these on my wish list,maybe I can get myself one for xmas.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

55 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-10-30 12:44:06)

I have no complaints it dose what I want it to do, one of the cool features is once you record a progression you can switch to a different genre with the dial knob and get a whole new pattern and feeling. I usually start with the rock setting at the top of the selecting and as the playback is going I switch it to blues,jazz or whatever some very interesting ideas develop, my setup is running the Trio thru two 12"speakers and a 100 watt pa head then I use both of my amps (Marshal and a Epiphone) with 10" speakers for the guitar in stereo it sounds really nice when I kick on the Electro Harmonix C9 sort of like surround sound very cool. Yes I love it and like any effect you have to keep working with it to dial in what you like.
this will give you an idea what you can do with it I composed the chord structure and the melody just happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCVflLLfrIw

It's been great for me...only remorse I have is not enough time to play with it

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks everyone.

It sounds like every owner / user really likes it, and that's what I really wanted to know.

Russell: that's an impressive piece of work you've put together. Nicely done, once again.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Russell: that's an impressive piece of work you've put together. Nicely done, once again.

Thanks TF I think the Trio will inspire you to create new ideas and improve your playing too smile

I finally saved the $$$ and bought the DT Trio.

The guy at the music store gave me some coaching, and I spent Sunday and Monday evening working with it. It was fairly simple to learn (using the manual) but I have to say I wasn't altogether happy with it. When running a clean tone through it, it worked pretty well, although I found the drums and bass to be quite artificial sounding. The main problem came when I started applying various effects. No matter where I put it in the signal path (and trust me ... I tried every possible sequence, including the Effects Loop on my amp) the effects also modified the drums and bass coming out of the Trio. I called the tech at the store, discussed this issue, and he said that was one of the drawbacks with it. I use effects a lot, so this won't do what I want it to.

So I took it back yesterday ...

Tenement Funster wrote:

I finally saved the $$$ and bought the DT Trio.

The guy at the music store gave me some coaching, and I spent Sunday and Monday evening working with it. It was fairly simple to learn (using the manual) but I have to say I wasn't altogether happy with it. When running a clean tone through it, it worked pretty well, although I found the drums and bass to be quite artificial sounding. The main problem came when I started applying various effects. No matter where I put it in the signal path (and trust me ... I tried every possible sequence, including the Effects Loop on my amp) the effects also modified the drums and bass coming out of the Trio. I called the tech at the store, discussed this issue, and he said that was one of the drawbacks with it. I use effects a lot, so this won't do what I want it to.

So I took it back yesterday ...

TF I do not have issues with the effects modifying the Trio I wish you would have looked at my drawing of the routing before shipping it back when first recording a pattern of chords you have to keep it simple with no effects once it is recorded you can add whatever you like but to get a really nice bass and drum pattern the guitar must be dry using only major and minor chord patterns you can add the delay, distortion, chorus and minor 7ths or whatever chord later I wish you would have consulted with me I would have shown you some work arounds and I think you would not have returned it IMO smile

Thanks, Russell ...

It did work reasonably well with a dry, clean signal, although I wasn't content with the tonal quality. I'm probably expecting too much from it. Your solution to dealing with effects is also what he recommended, being a looper, recording gear, or software of some kind. I don't have any of that, and don't plan on buying any of those things.

And as you also mention, it's best used with basic chord patterns. I like & play mostly Prog Rock, so not to be boastful, but the TRIO just doesn't compliment this genre very well. For most blues, country, rock & roll, or folk I think it's ideal. I didn't have far to go for the return, as the music store where I got it is literally two streets over from where I live.

Thanks for the advice, Russell ... much appreciated. wink