1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-11-04 02:30:44)

Topic: Bringing Back An "Oldie Subject"

That was the thread in which we discussed songs and music which has the power to evoke your deep emotions, such as chill bumps and yes, even tears which we guys try our best to disguise with throat-clearing and the "sniffs".

Excuses most commonly heard begin with "Well, I got me this cold you see.... what? The song's making me cry a little?....... Naw, Man!!! Where'd you ever get that idea???  Pass me that hankie, wouldja, Bubba?"

To get to the point, a few weeks ago I noticed my copy of "Travelling Wilburys Vol. I" was missing, so I ordered another one from Amazon.

I had forgotten how much I liked the whole album and if you haven't heard it, you're missing some legendary music.

There are 3 tunes which do evoke tears from me and they are as follows:

1. "Not Alone Anymore", which features the late Roy Orbison on lead vocals. Now, tenors do touch my emotions, but this one was special. Not only did Roy die not long after this album's release, but if you know anything of his private life and his love for his wife Claudette who died tragically in a motorcycle accident, followed by his kids who died in a house fire, it's clear why that voice means so much to so many people.

2. "Headed For The Light", George Harrison is the lead singer on this one and if one listens to the words, it's clear why, at the end of his life, he found such peace and shared that with his friends and fellow musicians. He sounds so happy with those words of his and that nothing will stop him from being "headed for the light". I for one can't help but share his feelings as I try to achieve that same inner peace.

3. Finally, the group as a whole takes turns on lead vocals with the song "End Of The Line". As one hears each of the Wilburys' philosophy about the end of it all and how each hopes they'll leave the world a better place than when they found it, I just couldn't help but think of my own life and if I'll be as "satisfied" as Messrs. Dylan, Harrison, Lynne, Orbison and Petty describe with their words and music when it's my time.
===========================

Those are just the three tunes on the album which stir my emotions. The rest of the music is fantastically written and produced with plenty of "toe-tapping" going on as well. It's good to hear Bob Dylan's sense of humor for a change.

Not spamming you and neither am I affiliated with any record company. Just passing along my feelings. I'd be interested in yours, if you want to share them.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Bringing Back An "Oldie Subject"

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

3. Finally, the group as a whole takes turns on lead vocals with the song "End Of The Line". As one hears each of the Wilburys' philosophy about the end of it all and how each hopes they'll leave the world a better place than when they found it, I just couldn't help but think of my own life and if I'll be as "satisfied" as Messrs. Dylan, Harrison, Lynne, Orbison and Petty describe with their words and music.

If you haven't seen it, or even if you have, watch this video. It was made about 6 months after the album was released as a tribute to Roy Orbison who had died suddenly. Watch the video closely at 1:40 and 2:00. They set up a rocking chair and had his guitar sitting in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf_dQk9iaSY

Well here's another one that'll eat up 24 minutes of your time, but well worth every minute....... for all you Wilburys fans: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZiWlsw1Iw

Enjoy!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

These videos are great,Ihave seen them before but forgot about them Elvis said that the only person he would not follow on stage was Roy Orbison. His voice was fantastic.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-11-04 02:27:45)

Well, I saw the rocking chair/guitar scene referred to by our Uncle Joe and then I watched the 24 minute film Doug told us about and damn if it didn't happen again!

As a disclaimer, I have to tell you all I'm not a "wimp" nor a "Milquetoast", okay? Certain things, such as music just hit me exactly the right way and there I go - raining again.

Watching the film I kept thinking of the Grim Reaper and how, during the video I kept saying to him, "How dare you take Roy and George from us??? I mean, how DARE you, you hooded, skeletal piece of garbage (for want of the more appropiate word)?"

Then I got to thinking about my own recent days with that SOB (the Reaper, I mean) hovering in the background and I thought of something I once told one of my patients: "You may not have been dancing with the Grim Reaper, but you sure were at the same party together."

God save The Wilburys! Volume 3 is on order.

Thanks, you two for the responses and the wonderful 24 minutes of being a "fly on the wall".

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Great stuff !

They are magnificent musicians each in their own right, but something special happens when they put their ego's aside and play and sing together for the love of their purpose.  Ya don't see that too often today.

Modern tech is fantastic, but the generations of today are getting robbed  of the opportunity to see great musicians blossom together.
Think about the old tours when musicians would get on a bus together, stay in motels, and travel across America to bring their talents to American stages in small venues - how about the tour that had, Dylan, Cash, Elvis, J.L. Lewis on it ?  Or  Ray Hubbard, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, and Rodney Crowell ?   I am 100 % positive Badeye can tell of tours of Blues musicians as well that  toured together.   

There's a place, I think it's  Pawling NY  ( near woodstock) that there is now  a similar venue - its in a barn and musicians get together and perform for a small audience. Love to go there some night!

and as for the grim  reaper - F*** him !   As I said in my last song ( heaven's Door- Survivor),  - " I'm looking forward to getting old"   

Kenny Chesney had a great song  - ---> everybody wants to go to heaven, have a mansion above the clouds, everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to go  now ! smile

Thanks Bill for reminding us all of how special music can be and how it touches us all in different ways. 
Thanks Doug as well, that was 24 minutes of heart warming !!
Keep the good stuff coming !!
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

It's not a bus, but I went to a bar in Chicago, The Underground Wonderground, where musicians went to hang out together after their other shows. It was an amazing night of music.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I had to bring out my Vol. 1 Cd and play it again. Forgot how good that CD is . Thanks for the reminder Bill.

Joe

I'm glad there's a Volume 3, but this one has a special place in my heart. Hoping against hope there's a Volume 2, but not holding my breath.

I know there's a Special Edition floating around, but at a higher price and just 2-3 more songs, but I think I will stay with what I have,

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

After listening to End of the Line a few times, I decided I needed to learn it.

Thanks for the inspiration Bill. smile

There is no Volume 2. That was a bit of a practical joke on their part.

I haven't heard Volume 3. Please tell us what you think of it once you get the chance to listen.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yeah, I knew about the non-existent "Vol. II", Zurf, but I was still hoping that Jeff Lynne might have something in the vaults he may have kept from the sessions. smile

However, "The Travelling Wilburys" was a fictitious group as we all know, so there wouldn't actually BE anything, right?

I'll let you know about Vol. III as soon as it arrives and I play it a dozen times! smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

What can you say about an artist such as Mr Orbison. If songs were paintings he would have been Leonardo da Vinci. A man who lost everything dear to him but still stood out like a beacon in the night. Only he could stand motionless on a stage and captive an audience with just a few simple songs and that totally unique voice. Over the years I have seen many tribute acts doing a good impersonation of such as Elvis, Dylan, Young etc, but never one that comes close to matching the vocal range of Mr Orbison.
Roy may be gone but I'm sure his music will be around for many years to come.

Thick as two short planks