Topic: tech advice needed

I need some help with a computer problem- my wife attempted to install "chrome" on her computer, her internet explorer browser is no longer there, windows defender has been turned off, and there is a lot of stuff happening on her computer now. What can she do to get her system back to where it was? I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Re: tech advice needed

If you're on Win10 try RECOVERY from the "settings" tab it gives you the option of dumping files you don't want while reinstating windows and the ones you do want.  i'm no expert.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by dino48 2015-11-13 01:54:09)

If it is on a new computer the tech support will help you. Use the edge like you did the explorire

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

If Windows is still present (as in the start screen), I would try "system restore"....... if you accidently tried to install the Chrome Operating Systen instead of the Chrome Browser, you won't see the Windows Splash Screen on Startup.  You will have some uninstallation of the Chrome OS and re-installation of your Windows OS.

You do have a recent backup of all your files and settings on other media than your internal hard drive......... don'cha???

In Windows 10, do what Phill said.

Keep us posted on your solution in case someone else finds themselves in the same situation.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

As others have said, the simple answer is trying to do a recovery or restore.  This sounds pretty fishy to me though, like maybe she installed some malware instead of the real chrome browser.  If she opens Chrome and sees a peculiar page that appears to be imitating google search,  that's a solid clue of malware.  Or, like Doug said... maybe the Chrome OS instead of the browser.  If a restore/recovery doesn't do the trick, do come back and let us know some more details about her system so we can try to help more.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Cynthia says thank you all for the advice. All is back to normal, she did a restore and Cynthia is back to "happy"! I don't know diddley about computers, Chordie and facebook is all I do, if she encounters any more problems I know the best place to ask for help, my thanks to all of you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Cynthia says thank you all for the advice. All is back to normal, she did a restore and Cynthia is back to "happy"! I don't know diddley about computers, Chordie and facebook is all I do, if she encounters any more problems I know the best place to ask for help, my thanks to all of you.

Life is good!!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare