Topic: Spammers

Looks like the hordes of spammers are crawling out of their holes since the change over.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 60#p169660

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28698

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28696

Please don't ban me Doug. I'm just the humble messenger. wink  smile

Re: Spammers

Thanks!  The REPORT function should be working now!  REPORT them so we can bring down the BAN HAMMER!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Sorry Amy. I don't see it/

I don't see it either we are still missing somethings.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

There are just some things only the Mods can see. Thats why we get the big bucks. Just now able to log in, myself. I,too, was banned then could not get my username or password to work. But by the grace of 2 strong typing fingers and several messages to Per, I is back.

Nela

6 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-02-07 02:57:25)

Hey guys, make sure to refresh the browser.  You might need to log out and then back in to see changes made earlier today.

Take a look at this photo.  I've circled the location of the report and quote functions for you!  smile 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tni2lb562aw85 … t.JPG?dl=0

here's the image if it will work (if not, it's my fault, not the forums... it's late):
https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAA8vQlcqM1hx2cpQQdEmL24ftJIzYV-NEUTWky-w-gXYw/12/498653256/jpeg/32x32/1/_/1/2/report.JPG/EMT1hoYEGCwgAigC/G5ld6l-eUAGkaVl1wrYZoH4KTJJ-VAEI0NbxqjMZ6EM?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

edit to add: Jim helped me with his NON-moderator account.  This is what he sees, not me.  You should see the same thing.  smile

Nope. Nothing there.

But HOLY CRAP!!

Look at "Other Stringed Instruments"  There's about 10 new spam messages in there. All made within the last hour.

Thanks Joe!!  I guess in pennance I got to try and clean up the spam garbage (but I do see I had a little help there at the end, thanx).  They really leaped on us this evening!!!  Spent the better part of 45 minutes reporting and Banning...... couldn't we get some kind of "bulk ban" feature?  Oh heck!..... I accidently found that the other day.

Taking it slow and careful for awhile during the break in period.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

4 pages of spam this morning! All seem to be in the "Other String Instruments" section.

Way too many to try to report individually.

unclejoesband wrote:

Nope. Nothing there.

I see you posted in the other thread (bug reporting) - but since I already have a photo for reference in this one, we'll carry on here.  smile

Peculiar... Let's try some troubleshooting ASSUMING you are using a computer.  If not, don't waste your time reading this... if you're on a mobile device, just reply that you are, because that may be completely different directions.

1. log out, close down entire browser and all open tabs, open browser back up and log in.  Come back here, look or the report/quote.  No dice?  go to #2

2. close all browser tabs and windows except ONE - log out of chordie.  Clear browser cache.  (need instructions? go here and click the browser you are using up at the top for detailed directions with photos: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache )  After clearing cache, close the browser completely, open it back up, come back and log in, find the report/quote buttons in the forum thread.  STILL no dice? Go to #3

3. Browser:  It's possible (and maybe even likely - especially if you're using an older computer and operating system) that you're using an outdated version of Chrome, Firefox, IE, or Safari.  No, you don't HAVE to have Windows 10 or X, but your browser may not display websites correctly if they're old.  So, verify your browser is up to date.  Here's some instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Browser  - as always, it's best to close out everything else except the page you're working on when making browser changes, so log out of chordie, close everything else out before you update, after updating make sure to close the last open browser window, open back up, log back in, check for links.

4. STILL NO DICE?  GAHHHH!  Now that's just weird. Did you put your reading glasses on?  Zoom the page in?  Are you SURE?  LOL!  smile  Um... send me an email.  I might need to give you some specific tasks to do to try to figure out what's going on.

unclejoesband wrote:

4 pages of spam this morning! All seem to be in the "Other String Instruments" section.

Way too many to try to report individually.

Yeah, we don't need every single one reported.  When you do send a report up, you can just mention in it that there's pages of spam.  That's sufficient. 

WAIT... did you find the report button???

I thought I had my cache set to dump every time I closed Firefox. I went in and checked and it turns out I did not.

Yes. I can now see the 2 buttons.

So what the heck is going on? There has been a continuous barrage of spam all morning.

I know we've been through this in the past but might it be time to consider a 24 hour waiting period before a new member can make a post?

Or possibly have every post from a new member that has an embedded link to go straight to moderation? I don't know if chordie has that capability but it worked very well on my homesteading forum. Nobody but the mods could see it and we could dump it before it had a chance to show up to the general membership.

unclejoesband wrote:

I thought I had my cache set to dump every time I closed Firefox. I went in and checked and it turns out I did not.

So what the heck is going on? There has been a continuous barrage of spam all morning.

I know we've been through this in the past but might it be time to consider a 24 hour waiting period before a new member can make a post?

Or possibly have every post from a new member that has an embedded link to go straight to moderation? I don't know if chordie has that capability but it worked very well on my homesteading forum. Nobody but the mods could see it and we could dump it before it had a chance to show up to the general membership.

I'm glad to hear that it was just a cache issue, and it's sorted out now. 

Per is working on the spam issue.  So far it seems to be contained to a less frequented section of the forums, so that's good news.  I know it's tricky when you know how to moderate and feel like you're not seeing moderation happening.  The bottom line is, different forums software is programmable in different ways, and at the moment, it's just not that easy to "flip a switch".  There's coding that's still necessary on the back end, and a lot of this couldn't have been tested until the forums were live.

unclejoesband wrote:

I had to to the same thing UJB.  I'm slowly catching on to the new and improved Chordie. I can only access Chordie through Firefox,  internet explorer won't let me, says I have to upgrade to windows 9, when I tried it said something was missing and I would have to do this ,that, and a bunch of other things, so I gave up. Guess its time to call in the grand-children to help the old man get it sorted out,  I'm only good with nuts, bolts, hammers and bigger hammers. The new Chordie is great!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Yeah, if using Internet Explorer, you'll need to have at LEAST IE 9.  Sounds like you're using an older computer if there's stuff missing in order to do the upgrade.  At least Firefox is working for you though!  Are you finding the new Chordie easier to use than before?  smile

WOW! Someone was busy today.

I logged in this morning and the spam machine was still spitting them out. Tonight? Nice and clean. Looks so much better.

Many thanks to those that made it happen.

I never use ID except when the computer is fresh, to down load Chrome and Fire Fox. lolol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

OH where is the EDIT POST BUTTON NOW?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

It should be here, if not try holding the 'shift' and pressing 'refresh' a couple of times:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1677/24283069364_a07bf389c8_b.jpg

"Do, or do not; there is no try"