Topic: Mandolin

I was looking at a sale yesterday and there was a great deal on a beautiful Mandolin.

The only problem is that I do not know how to play one.
Does anyone here on the Chordie forum play one ?   How hard is it ? Is it similar to guitar ?

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Mandolin

It's tuned the same as fiddle DGAE. You could probably learn. If it interests you and you can afford it, buy one.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Actually, it looks like there's a few regulars here that DO play Mandolin. This thread is interesting:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23903

I know there's a few folks that play "other" instruments that don't visit all the forums regularly, but they do seem to pop in from time to time in the "Other String Instruments" section and in the songwriting section from time to time.  smile  That said, I'm going to move this thread from the Chat Corner over to the Other Strings section for you.  Hopefully it'll get you a bit more response from the peeps that do play the mandolin!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

4 (edited by Grah1 2016-02-16 19:23:06)

I play a bit of mandolin ,just a few simple chords ,I would suggest you get it set up as low as possible with extra light strings makes a big difference to your fingers.the chords are different to guitar but not bad to master the simple ones

https://m.soundcloud.com/graham-windle/copperheadroad
This was recorded very simply just basic chords

Never played a mandolin but I do play a bouzouki. As with guitar theirs loads of different tunings, but to keep things simple I tune to D, G, B, E. Great fun to play, easy to use and a great sound.
I say go for it TIG, it'll keep you amused fot years.

Thick as two short planks

Zurf wrote:

It's tuned the same as fiddle DGAE. You could probably learn. If it interests you and you can afford it, buy one.

Actually, a mandolin is tuned GDAE, the same as a fiddle.

davidhopkins1 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I can't believe I didn't not notice that.

Thanks David

unclejoesband wrote:
davidhopkins1 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Thanks David

You know, folks with "B chord amnesty" get to tune their fiddle anyway they like.......
smile  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:
davidhopkins1 wrote:

Thanks David

You know, folks with "B chord amnesty" get to tune their fiddle anyway they like.......
smile  wink

I always remember it as being tuned like a guitar, only upside down.

E A D G...

G D A E..

Not that it helps any.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

OK. Laugh all you want but when I bought a mandolin I came up with a phrase that helped me remember the strings.

G- Good
D- Dogs
A- Are
E-Everywhere

With 7 of them in the house, that made it easy to make the association.

unclejoesband wrote:

OK. Laugh all you want but when I bought a mandolin I came up with a phrase that helped me remember the strings.

G- Good
D- Dogs
A- Are
E-Everywhere

when I first started playin the mando, I remembered the tunning from my fiddle playin days,The guy that taught me how to play fiddle said just think of an aussie that don`t no how to spell so good...aussies are always sayin g-dae mate! obiously both my instructor and I are both hillbilly as can be but I never forgot it!

brynray wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:

G- Good
D- Dogs
A- Are
E-Everywhere

when I first started playin the mando, I remembered the tunning from my fiddle playin days,The guy that taught me how to play fiddle said just think of an aussie that don`t no how to spell so good...aussies are always sayin g-dae mate! obiously both my instructor and I are both hillbilly as can be but I never forgot it!

the world is but a stage and we mere actors upon it~billy shakesphere

So, just finished up with another Wintergrass.  My oldest child showed up to help tending bar in the green rooms, and otherwise helping out with the liquor distribution.   She also decided she wanted to play mandolin, so she went and bought a student model.  Nice little mando.  She showed up in my office with it, very proud.   She had nothing else, though, and no idea she even needed it. 

Off we go shopping.  Case, strings, picks, tuner...  I'm $100 into the thing and I don't even play it!  big_smile

Anyway, she now knows all three chords.   It's pretty amazing all the lessons a pretty girl can get just walking the halls.

jerome.oneil wrote:

So, just finished up with another Wintergrass.  My oldest child showed up to help tending bar in the green rooms, and otherwise helping out with the liquor distribution.   She also decided she wanted to play mandolin, so she went and bought a student model.  Nice little mando.  She showed up in my office with it, very proud.   She had nothing else, though, and no idea she even needed it. 

Off we go shopping.  Case, strings, picks, tuner...  I'm $100 into the thing and I don't even play it!  big_smile

Anyway, she now knows all three chords.   It's pretty amazing all the lessons a pretty girl can get just walking the halls.

See you learn stuff on Chordie Too !!  If I'd known there were only Three Chords to have to learn, I might have made a different choice of instrument all those years ago!
I did fool around with a friend's old "F" Mando way back in High School, but was intimidated by the petite thing and trying to get my big 'ol fingers down between those narrow frets.  Haven't looked back..... yet.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

See you learn stuff on Chordie Too !!  If I'd known there were only Three Chords to have to learn, I might have made a different choice of instrument all those years ago!

Only three chords for guitar, too.  The I, the IV, and the V!

I did fool around with a friend's old "F" Mando way back in High School, but was intimidated by the petite thing and trying to get my big 'ol fingers down between those narrow frets.  Haven't looked back..... yet.

I hear that "big hands" thing a lot when it comes to mando.  Every time I do, I point the person to Mike Marshall.  Dude has hams with sausages hanging off them for hands.  He absolutely swallows the neck.

Here's Chris Thiele and Mike ripping it up a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ypsqqKU2a8

Check out them meathooks!

Greetings, I am a lapslide guitar player and I have recently purchased an Octave Mandolin which I would also like to set up to play slide on. Anyone able to suggest an easy way to elevate strings? How do you tune to open D. Thank you kindly...     

I have  an  Irish  resonator  bouzouki    which   is  tuned  as  a  mandolin but  an octave  down  I'd  be  interested  to   know    about  this  too .     

just  checked  on google   and  open G  would  be  GD GD so  open D  would  be  AD AD