Re: Songbooks Issues? Please Post in THIS thread for help!

I just registered today and accepted in my email as instructed. My Songbook is not working. I am registered and logged in, my username shows up in the top right of the screen. My browser is Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7. I cleared my cache. When I try to ADD a song using the dropdown by the ADD a song option, the dropdown box is completely blank and when I click just ADD a blank page opens. Other dropdowns, the Transpose Chords and Tuning dropdowns, are populated with options. Thanks for any assistance. 
- Susan

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. It sounds like you are on your Songbook page and trying to add.

Try a different route.

Go directly to the page of the song you want to add. The page should look like this:

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.x … _woman.txt

On the right side you will see the chord chart. Below that is a box that says songbook. Did you give your songbook a name? If not it will just say "My Songbook". If you did name it and don't see your name, click on the arrow for the drop down menu. You should see it there.

Either way, there is a blue button that says Add. If you hit that button while you are on the song page, it will copy that song to whichever songbook is displayed, ie "My Songbook" or "SusanCarolMetcalf's Songbook" or whatever name you chose.

Try it this way and let us know if you're still having trouble.

UJ

Thanks rainer_dahlmann and drrichpcmd!  I'm looking over the info now and will get back to you soon!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Can't remember activating my account but as I can log in and see my name at the top of the screen and post to this forum I guess I did! Sorry for having a terrible memory. I have sent you details of my browser. Hope it provides some clues.

Ok so amodecassa, rainer_dahlman, and drrichpcmd:  Each of you has something off with your Java!  Either your Java isn't installed, or isn't up to date.  Susan you may want to check into this as a possible issue as well, because it sounds like you may be experiencing the same issue as these fellas.

rainer_dahlman, yours is installed but not up to date.  You'll need to update your version of Java.  You can easily get there by going back to the main page of https://www.whatismybrowser.com/ and look for the line "Is Java Installed" - you should see that it shows an option where it says " Out of date - click to update"  - So yeah, click on that to update your Java!

amodecassa and drrichpcmd, it looks like Java isn't installed at all on your devices (although, it is enabled... so you should be ready to go if you just install it!)

Any one of you can simply go here: http://www.java.com and move to the page to download the free java engine.

What the heck is java and why do you need it?  http://java.com/en/download/faq/whatis_java.xml

Basically, you're going to come across webpages that won't work correctly if Java isn't installed, enabled, and up to date.  Chordie utilizes java to handle a LOT of the things that makes it work, like the stuff you guys aren't seeing as working properly! 

After you've downloaded/updated Java, it's always a good idea to double check on the Java website that everything is working correctly (as well as delete any old versions of Java, all available directly from links on their site).  Then, I suggest doing a quick cache clear, because it never hurts to do so, before you log back into Chordie.

See if you can get into the songbook page to see the drop down box we were talking about, you should be able to create a new songbook if you wish (although, it isn't necessary as the default songbook is still empty I'm sure): http://www.chordie.com/songbook.php
Go on into an individual song, and see if you can now add it to your songbook.  Here's a good ole song to use: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 62073.html

Let us know if this works for you!!!

Mekidsmom you are a genius! Can't believe it was such a simple solution but you found the problem and everything is working now as it should. It's not that long since I updated Java and did the Java web site test so I don't know why Java was playing up but  it's all hunky dory now. Thanks again!

amodecassa wrote:

Mekidsmom you are a genius! Can't believe it was such a simple solution but you found the problem and everything is working now as it should. It's not that long since I updated Java and did the Java web site test so I don't know why Java was playing up but  it's all hunky dory now. Thanks again!

YAY!  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3191.gif  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6943.gif
YIPPIE!  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6498.gif

I'm glad I could help, and you are most welcome!

I've installed  the latest version of Java, cleared my cookies, restarted my PC, and still can't access my song books. the confirm message just boots me out every time I try to log in. please help.

garyorgan wrote:

I've installed  the latest version of Java, cleared my cookies, restarted my PC, and still can't access my song books. the confirm message just boots me out every time I try to log in. please help.

Hey Gary, sorry to hear your having issues still.  I'll be happy to take a look at things for you!  You said you can't access your songbooks, and get booted out when trying to log in.  That sounds like you possibly don't have the browser configured to accept cookies.  But, rather than me ask you a bunch of questions and have you answer and go back and forth, let's make this easier!  smile

I'll ask you to go ahead and follow the same directions I had given to the others so I can take a look at what you're working with, I'll give you a few suggestions to try, and I'll look at what I can from your account, and then forward all the info onto our admin if we can't figure it out from there. 

Go to this website: Click here to send me your browser info about being unable to add songs to your songbook
In the NAME field please enter your registered CHORDIE username (ie: mine is mekidsmom) and enter your email address in the appropriate field. 
THEN, come back in here and post a reply letting me know your answers to the Question and that you've completed the task. 

For more details - explanation of what/why, see my original descriptive post here: http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 04#p170704

Also, when you come back here to post that you've completed that step, can you please make a post here describing a little more detail for me of the process you're taking to log in, and what you're seeing, where you're getting "booted out"? Obviously you're logged in as far as the forums are concerned because you're able to post.  So what page are you going to and what action are you trying that actually causes you to be booted?  I'm presuming it's when moving to a song page or song book page.  I look forward to getting that info and hearing back from you!  smile

My songbook is now working, thank you for fixing it.

36 (edited by donaldwilliam 2016-02-26 09:08:57)

Hello,  my songbook is missing too. I am logged in but when I try to access My Songbook, I am prompted to log in again... an endless loop.  I have updated Java, still no luck.

Hey donaldwilliam!  That sounds more like a possible issue regarding cookies, and we're not talking about the delicious chocolate chips either!  Please close all extra browser tabs and windows, then clear your cookies (here's some info on how to do that: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cookies ), close the browser, and visit again.  You'll no doubt need to sign back in, and give it a try again. 

If you're still having issues after that, please use the link I've provided above that starts out "click here to send me your browser info" - and follow the directions given about entering your chordie username and email address, and post back in this thread about the fact that you cleared your cookies, still didn't work, you sent the email, blah blah... and I'll get back to ya!  smile

drrichpcmd wrote:

My songbook is now working, thank you for fixing it.

YAY!  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3191.gif  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6943.gif
YIPPIE!  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6498.gif

You're welcome for the help, but seriously, YOU are the one that fixed it!  big_smile

Hi Mekidsmom,

im sorry for my late reply but i was travelling for a few days. I followed your description to update java. It works. So easy. In the face of this simple solution I am a little bit ashamed that i have taken a part of your time. Thanks a lot - I will enjoy it mindful of your help!
Rainer

rainer_dahlmann wrote:

Hi Mekidsmom,

im sorry for my late reply but i was travelling for a few days. I followed your description to update java. It works. So easy. In the face of this simple solution I am a little bit ashamed that i have taken a part of your time. Thanks a lot - I will enjoy it mindful of your help!
Rainer

smile  I'm glad I could help.  Don't be ashamed!  It happens sometimes.  Just the other day I was troubleshooting something myself and totally forgot to double check with a different browser to see if it was browser related or site related.  AND it WAS the browser!  A big ole "duh" to me no that one! smile  Ha ha!  I'm just glad it's working for you again!

I can't get to my songbook also. It logs me out and when I log back in it kicks me out. I did read the request to look into your Java program and did update and still doesn't work. Not happy with new site. Really upset I'll have to start over somewhere else.

Hello...My songbook is missing. I'm logged in ok, I click on my songbook and it tells me to log in or register. I login again and it just loops me back to the forums! Help!

Bruski33 and Mike Gray - Sounds like you're both having cookie issues.  Please scroll up a few posts to mine where I explain about clearing cookies.  Or, you can click here and it will take you directly to the post you need to see:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 68#p170968 

If after doing that you're still having issues, then you'll want to send me some details of what you're working with to give me a better idea of tracking down what the issue may be, this post gives you details on how to send the info I'll need to look at:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 15#p170815

smile  I'm happy to try to help!  smile

I did the java update, but did not work.  I found the www/chordie.com/songbook.php link last night but cannot find it tonight nor will I be redirected to my songbook when typing it in as it did last night.  Chordie member since 2006.  Great site and I recommend it to other players.  Prior to the new web look, I was able to edit songs as well.   The forum is good, but I only recently began accessing it.  I thought I had this thing figured out.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with it MikeA205.  As you started a new thread, and your issue MIGHT be slightly different, I'll go ahead and reply to you over there!  smile  Hopefully we can get this thing figured out together!

46 (edited by Caesura Dal Segno 2016-04-07 05:09:29)

Greetings Fellow Chordians -
New look and feel is great - Page loading is great - Navigation is great . . . mostly.  THANKS to all developers and contributors!

Here's the thing:  After trying common fixes and potential fixes found in the Forums for over a month now, I continue to have difficulty logging in to My Songbook, and it appears, anything but the Forums.  Occasionally, clearing cooking and launching a fresh browser has worked, but I can't figure out why I would have to clear cookies every time to get to "My Songbook," nor have I discovered any pattern to when clearing cookies works or doesn't work.  I decided it was time to reach out to the community.  Thanks for any solid help you may be able to provide.

On the My Songbook tab, following the instruction, "To use the songbook you need to log in. It is free to register," when I log in, I am asked to "Confirm" the action.  Clicking the "Confirm" takes me to the Forums.  All good on the Forums tab.  I can see my username at the top right and can navigate freely throughout the Forums . . . still, I am trying to get to My Songbook . . . right?

What have I tried? 
1. Clear cookies, history and SSL state; close browser, launch new browser, attempt to log in fresh
2. Confirmed cookies enabled > Does that matter?
3. Java is current and enabled
4. Adobe Flash 21.0
5. Java Deployment Toolkit (32-bit) is installed and enabled
6. Java Plug-In SSV Helper and ...2 SSV Helper are installed and enabled
7. Same results in I.E. 11.0.9600.18231 and Firefox 45.0.1 on Windows 8.1 64-bit
8. *Additional details below, as shown on www.whatismybrowser.com

> Selecting any tab other than Forums (e.g. Home, Songs, Artists), my username is gone but I can navigate around within those tabs
> > MAIN ISSUE > > After logging in from the Home page, when I select My Songbook, I am prompted to Login again, as follows:
     "My Songbook
     The songbook is your personal collection of guitar chords and guitar tabs.
      After you have added the songs to the songbook, you can edit the songs to correct errors. You can also print the songs as a high quality booklet.
      To use the songbook you need to log in. It is free to register."
> If I just click the "log in" hyperlink from there (http://chordie.com/forum/login.php), it takes me to the Forums tab and shows my username at the top, indicating I am still logged in
> After I can see that I am still logged in, when I select the My Songbook tab, the same page appears as before, prompting me to log as follows:
   "My Songbook
     The songbook is your personal collection of guitar chords and guitar tabs.
      After you have added the songs to the songbook, you can edit the songs to correct errors. You can also print the songs as a high quality         booklet.
      To use the songbook you need to log in. It is free to register."
> Again, because I am actually logged in, clicking the "log in" hyperlink from here takes me to the Forums tab, and shows that I am still logged in; however, selecting the My Songbook tab continually returns me to this loop.
> When I clear cookies, close browser, restart machine and log in anew, from scratch, from the "log in" link on the My Songbook page, I get the same result as described above as the "MAIN ISSUE."

I must have missed a configuration step to make the new authentication protocol work.  Although most Chordie members are not having this issues, it is apparent that I am one of many, so I anyone has figured it out by now, this must be a simple fix I am overlooking.

Please advise.  Thanks to the community for your welcoming and helpful team spirit!

Sincerely,

Caesura Dal Segno

*Addendum

Your Web Browser's Capabilities:

Is JavaScript enabled?  Yes

Are Cookies enabled?  Yes

Is Flash installed?  Flash 21.0 is installed  ✓ Up to date

Is Java installed?  Java is not installed, or is disabled 

Your web browser's technical details:

Browser version (full) 11.0       Operating System version (full) Windows NT 6.3       Layout Engine Trident   

Trident version 7.0                                                            -------                                             Adobe Flash Full version 21.0.0

---------Browser GMT Offset -04:00                     -------

-------                                                 HTML5 Canvas Yes                               HTML5 Video Yes

HTML5 Audio Yes                                            Indexed DB Yes                                      Local Storage Yes

Session Storage Yes                                        Application Cache Yes                          -------

-------                                                              XHR2 No                                                SVG Yes

WebGL Yes                                                        CSS Font Face Yes                               CSS Gradients Yes

CSS Multiple Backgrounds Yes                     CSS Box Shadow Yes                           CSS Animations Yes

CSS Transforms Yes                                       CSS 3D Transforms Yes                       CSS Transitions Yes

Rest . . . and play it again
D.S.

Hi there!  In one location you say this:

Caesura Dal Segno wrote:

3. Java is current and enabled
5. Java Deployment Toolkit (32-bit) is installed and enabled
6. Java Plug-In SSV Helper and ...2 SSV Helper are installed and enabled

However your report from the whatismybrowser website shows this:

Is Java installed?  Java is not installed, or is disabled

So, somehow Java is the issue as it's not being detected by the browser.  Java is required to keep your cookies active as you navigate from page to page within the website and therefore keep you logged in. 

Please click on this link: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/?yourna … nd-to-tech and fill in your username here on chordie as well as your email address and then click "send via email" on that page.  This will provide the full report directly to my inbox so that I can view the whatismybrowser information in full.  Once I am able to do that, I can better assist you with getting the settings straightened out on your end.  smile

Exactly.  You found the screaming baby in an otherwise harmonious concerto.
  I will try without using In Private or Incognito browsing. 

I sent all the relevant data from Whatsmybrowser in the forum post..

If my new workaround doesnt work, i will take a chance with my privacy, because after all we did jam in front of my fireplace via Skype together, and send the Whatsmybrowser data directly.
Sincerely appreciate your help.
All the best,
Caesura DS

Rest . . . and play it again
D.S.

Caesura Dal Segno wrote:

Exactly.  You found the screaming baby in an otherwise harmonious concerto.
  I will try without using In Private or Incognito browsing. 

I sent all the relevant data from Whatsmybrowser in the forum post..

If my new workaround doesnt work, i will take a chance with my privacy, because after all we did jam in front of my fireplace via Skype together, and send the Whatsmybrowser data directly.
Sincerely appreciate your help.
All the best,
Caesura DS

smile  That certainly may be the issue!  I believe that Java is disabled when inPrivate browsing with IE. Alternately, you may want to look into this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ja … in-domains

I'll be honest, I think the only other information that the website may provide that you don't want shared is your IP address, and as a moderator, I can see that when you visit here anyway!  wink wink

We jammed on Skype together at some point?  Must have been ages ago!  smile  I need to do that more often.

OH - I should probably note - I'm SO not a code writer... and somehow didn't think about this before...

JavaScript is NOT the same as Java - so even though you have JavaScript enabled and all up to date, Chordie actually needs you to have Java installed as that's a different type of coding.  wink  I think this is actually where the confusion comes in!  I'm still learning.  wink  Hope this helps clarify, because so far it seems you've done everything possible to try to make sure JavaScript is working.  You're so close! 

Here's some more info:
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_javascript.xml