1 (edited by dino48 2016-03-12 01:39:32)

Topic: Keith Emerson

Keith Emerson died today,R.I.P. Keith. ( Emerson Lake and Palmer)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Keith Emerson

California Jam 1975 (?) San Bernadino,  one of my "lost weekends"..... good show and a great memory (the little I still have).  I especially remember the hangover and sunburn, and ELP!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

RIP Keith
ELP was to me was one, if not the of greatest of all prog rock bands ever.
I really can't say how much they influenced my musical choices growing up in the 70s.
A sad day indeed for me. All I can say is thanks Keith.

I was fortunate to have seen ELP a couple times in the late 70's. Extraordinary shows.

RIP Kieth.

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-12 15:54:19)

I wish I'd seen this before this week's "Prog Rock" entry. ELP really brought a high-level of talent & creativity to the Prog scene in the 70's. Keith will be sorely missed, especially by the multi-talented Rachel Flowerrs, whom he mentored and encouraged in her musical pursuits. Here's a tribute and photo from her FaceBook page:

"We are devastated at the news of Keith Emerson's passing. Though our encounters with him were few, he was always warm, gentle, funny, and supportive of all of Rachel's musical endeavors. Our most heartfelt condolences go out to Mari, to his cousins Dave and Mandy, and all of Keith's family. Honoring the memory of a great man, a musical genius, the greatest keyboardist of the 20th Century by listening now to The Elegy album by The Nice - Keith at the top of his game. Already missed so very deeply. There will never be another like him. Rest In Peace, Keith Emerson."

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/10449085_855214301191135_1333814333_n.jpg

I just had to add this, one of Ms. Flowers many amazing renditions of Emerson's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPGoWvIRY4M

6 (edited by Phill Williams 2016-03-12 17:07:15)

i'll always remember towards the end of the 60's going to the local bowling alley on a saturday night, DRINKING coke and (hopefully) pulling birds. the records being played over and over were "america" and "sunshine of your love". i still get flashbacks when they get played on the radio, great times.

RIP KIETH

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I understand it was suicide he shot himself in the head can anyone confirm this?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I understand it was suicide he shot himself in the head can anyone confirm this?

Hi Russell he was found with a gunshot in the head I think,so I guess they are thinking suicide.I read it off Bing home page news.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

9 (edited by easybeat 2016-03-13 00:34:35)

Ah, the tortured life of a musician.
It`s not all beer & skittles,(i guess)
We lose another

The King Of Audio Torture

He  was a big influence on me musically back in the 70s. I use to play the drums for a short while, his drummer Carl Palmer was a drummer whoes style I admired. I use to have the Album Brain Salad Surgery which I use to regularly put on my turn table. I also loved his arrangement of Hubert Parry Jerusalem. So many great bits of music far to many  mention here that he put together. His music will live on a great legacy. Back in 2012 I heard a group of very talented school boy teenagers covering Fanfare For The Comon Man  with clever solos. After they had finished their set I spoke to them and they were all in awe of Keith Emerson, his music will influence many to come.
RIP Keith

dino48 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Hi Russell he was found with a gunshot in the head I think,so I guess they are thinking suicide.I read it off Bing home page news.

I read that as well.

I considered the possibility that he may have developed a medical problem that was not treatable and did not want to take the slow road to the end. Now just so there are no rumors started here, this is only my thought. It's not something I read anywhere. I'm sure the facts will come out in time.

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-13 21:20:20)

Here's a quote from "The Guardian" newspaper:

"Keith Emerson, the keyboardist with the progressive rock supergroup Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died at the age of 71. Emerson was known as one of the most successful and experimental musicians of his era, with most of his work with the band being released in the 1970s. Police found Emerson’s body at his home in Santa Monica, California. Sergeant Rudy Camarena said it appeared Emerson had taken his own life."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/m … dies-at-71