Topic: Take Me Back Home

I haven't posted a new song for a while so I thought I'd put this one up. I use a capo on the 4/5 frett.

It's a song about coming to the end and wanting to return to where you were born and bred to await the end.

[song]

{t:Take Me Back Home.}         

{st: Phill Williams.}

[G] Take me [C] home. [D] Take me back [G] home.
[Em7] Take me [C] home. [D] Take me back [G] home.

[G] I'm getting tired. [Em7] I'm getting old.
My bones are aching and I'll [G] die alone.
No one cares in this [Em7] big old town.
If they don't push you then they'll [G] gun you down.
Take me [C] home. [D] Take me back [G] home.
[Em7] Take me [C] home. [D] Take me back [G] home.

Long ago when I was your age.
I followed trends and all the craze.
Got to a place where I relaxed.
And all those trends have been and passed.
Take me home. Take me back home.

{soc}

[Bm] Maybe one day when you've [Em] come of age.
[Em/D] You'll [Em/Db] turn a [Em/C] page like [G] me.
[Bm] Maybe one day when you're [Em] old and gray.
[Em/D] You'll [Em/Db] want to [Em/C] stay right [G] here. [Em] Not [G] me.

{eoc}

When I was young I was a fool.
Did crazy things just like you.
Things that seemed so good back then.
I wouldn't want to do again.

Everybody's gonna die some day.
It's up to you where you pass away.
I wanna be where I was born.
That's where my bones belong.
||: Take me home. Take me back home.
Take me home. Take me back home:||

[/end]
Words & Music by Phill Williams.  17th March 2016.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Take Me Back Home

this is the link to the song. hope you enjoy it. I recorded it in one take; guitar, vocal and bass drum. Please tell me what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/iphillfine/take-me-back-home

Phill

Nice song . Phill bit unsure about the choice of the bm chord at the start of the bridge though but it is a really good song.

Just played it through, another great song Phill. It took me a bit of time to work out some of the split chords, but thats just me being thick. Nice one Phill

Thick as two short planks

Sounding good phill.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well done my friend.
As I was reading the lyrics, I kept saying to myself - where is the line " where I belong"  and alas -   last stanza - there it was  - where my bones belong" !

When I gave it listen, I thought perhaps it was a bit too fast tempo though, I thought it was going somewhat fast for the emotion of the lyrics to set in. 
Love the concept though.

I was just thinking about this the other day in fact.  I'm sure it resonates with all us old farts.  smile

Thanks for another great song Phill

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I liked the feel it suggests a Reggae style like the late Lucky Dooby  I think the minor change is fine it sets up a nice release as always great job and nice lyrics Phill smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Grah.

Thanks for the listen. When I'm writing, I just put in what feels natural and goes well. The Bm gives a little change from the simple chords and melody line. I hope I've explained that right?

Hi KIR. I use a capo on the 4/5 frets which plays G in a D shape, the Em/D, Em/Db etc are my way of saying it's an Em chord with a D, Db ETC bass, you probably knew that but it's something I only learned in the last few years...never too old to learn ....right? Lets hope I can learn something really useful before I die lol

Thanks Dino, I had a gig this afternoon and I was keeping my voice, hence no multi tracking or harmonies

Hi Jim. The first line was in my head for a few days before the chord sequence struck me. I was thinking of Maggie May kind of rhythm and a song called If I Could See The Rhondda Once Again by David Alexander which is about a Welshman who lives in Australia and wants to go back home before he dies. And yes the shadow of the reaper seems to be creeping ever closer.

Hi Russ, how you diddling my old mate? It's funny how others hear things in your songs that you cant see or hear yourself? Reggae never occurred to me. I'm sorry I've never heard of Lucky Dooby, sounds like something someone dropped outside a wacky backy shop in Amsterdam lol

Phill Williams wrote:

Hi Russ, how you diddling my old mate? It's funny how others hear things in your songs that you cant see or hear yourself? Reggae never occurred to me. I'm sorry I've never heard of Lucky Dooby, sounds like something someone dropped outside a wacky backy shop in Amsterdam lol

I spelled his name wrong it is Dubey he was very popular in Africa and tragically was shot and killed in a car jacking. I am still kicking lol  this is a song of his that I like it is called "The way it is" I love the feeling of this Reggae beat hell I love all of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPY0Seo-dWA

"Growing old is not for sissies"

the thing that erks me about reggae is the crap recording and the "do as you please" attitude on them. this is so good which i suppose is the exception that proves the rule. thanks russ

Listening to your song reminded me of a conversation I had with my Uncle before he died  about returning to his birthplace. His children made sure his last resting place was next to where our grandmother was buried outside of the town where he was from. He died in Sydney his remains are now resting over in Fiji. In our part of the world death is more often than not a celibration of life lived rather than a sombre farewell of loss.That Bm change works good for me.

Nice song, Phill ... and lots to think upon. I personally like minor / seventh / diminish / etc. chords, as they add to the emotion and complexity of the tune, some elements of surprise, etc. This is fine work!

hi peatle. thanks for the listen and comments.

the williams family funerals tend to go;

stage 1, all sombre, crying etc.

stage 2, back to a family members house for tea and sarnies.

stage 3, someone breaks out the wobblypops and then the funny stories of the deceased's life, the jokes and celebration begins.

stage 4, cant remember..... cool

thanks TF, i also love all the above, it's just fitting them in....

Hi Phill,  I like this ....  i like the meaning in the song ..... catchy ..... definitely a foot tapper ....... cant post  comment YET on sound cloud as its not letting me.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

good tune got a jimmy buffet feel to it to me

out of tune out of key and out of touch