Topic: Any Hank Sr. Fans Here?

If so, have you been to the cinema and seen "I Saw The Light" -- the NEW biopic about Hank Williams? How did you like it?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Any Hank Sr. Fans Here?

yes and not yet!

Mr. William's style of music isn't my first choice, but there's no denying the incredible respect he earned within the C&W community, and the sizable impact he had on 20th Century performance arts in general.

Baldguitardude wrote:

yes and not yet!

Ditto George Hamilton did one back in the fiftes or 60ies.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Just think of all that talent and what he accomplished in such a short period of time. If I remember correctly he was only 29 years old when he passed away. How can you not be a fan?

nela

If you have never seen it, I highly recommend the DVD of "Hank Williams: The Show He Never Gave. It can be had on Amazon for $3.20 new or used. So far, it's the best protrayal of Hank I have ever seen. If you do get it, let me know if you like it.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be spam, and I have no affiliation with the film or its sale

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Yep he was only 29   had 35 singles mostly hits

His down fall - alcohol and prescription drugs - pretty much the same nemesis of many stars today !

Died of a heart attack - exasperated by the pills and booze - such a shame, such a waste of a talented life
I do like his songs though - he was very creative.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Roscoe Jones taught Hank Sr. the A chord and how to yodel (chordiestock folks will get that joke).

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Just  acquired an old turn table and some 300 records,,  two of which are Hank Sr.   no scratches and great music.. The turn table is in the shape of a suitcase, comes apart and works well,,, love that old sound....

badeye     cool

one caper after another

I love Hank Sr and Hank III.  Hank Jr. would be driving a bus if his last name wasn't Williams.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like Hank's music.  I don't like how Hank has become such a personality and symbol of some sort of Country Music Purity that I can say "Hank" and it's not weird. 

I'll catch the biopic when it hits Netflix or Amazon.  I don't get to the movies often, and then it's usually to take my kids to see something they'll enjoy.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'd be very interested in your opinion, Zurf. The reviews are pretty ragged and it's losing money, but Tom Hiddleston is said to do a marvelous job as Hank Williams.

Thanks

Your friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

It  would be interesting, relatively speaking of course, to compare Hank's rise with The Beatles'.

"35 singles, mostly hits",  says our friend TIG, and only 29 when he died.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe The Beatles achieved as much in so short a time.

Elvis maybe, but I'm comparing The Fabs with Hank. smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill. I think "Hank's" rise to fame was mostly due to the time in music history when he lived and died. Even with his popularity most of his hits came after his death. His song writing ability spoke of what most folk already had going on in their lives. If you think of all the hit songs he wrote there must have been hundreds that were never finished or just hit the trash can.  To me, his fame should not be considered with how quickly he rose to fame but how long he has kept that fame. His song writing ability, if you wanted to compare it to other artists, would be equal to Woody Gutherie or Bob Dylan (just in a different genre). Just like the Beatles rise to fame, it's all about the timing.

Nela

15 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-04-16 15:05:48)

Point taken, my friend --- so my comparison with The Beatles wouldn't be correct. Thank you for correcting me, though, and I hope all is well on the Bayou, NELA. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Didn't mean for my post sound as a "correction" but just another point of view. Do you think that the Beatles would be as famous if they came along with today's music? Or Elvis, CCR, Stones or even Hank? With the exception of Elvis, I think all the above would be "just another band" (good one's but nothing special). With  Elvis, his attraction was with ALL women .With the others it was mostly teenage girls. 

Nela

jerome.oneil wrote:

I love Hank Sr and Hank III.  Hank Jr. would be driving a bus if his last name wasn't Williams.

Hey Jerome, I'm just wondering why you feel that way about  Hank Jr.  He had 21 gold albums, was the Academy of Country Music entertainer of the year in 87,88 and 89 and was the ""music of choice" for me and my kayaking buddies when heading to class IV/V whitewater runs in the southeast during the 80's.  Sure, when he was a kid his mom and family tried to promote him as "little Hank", but after he recovered from his climbing accident and began writing his own tunes he became a force in country music.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Even down here at the bottom of the world Hank has a large fan base.

Nela
I think all the artists u mention wouldn`t  get any airtime nowadays.
So i guess no, they wouldn`t be big?

The King Of Audio Torture

Nela
I respectfully disagree.

the Beatles had a unique grouping of talented musicians. John Lennon was brilliant, not only as a singer performer, but as a creative composer and lyricist. He took on many topics and addressed them ,as well the usual loves songs etc.    McCartney was also accomplished as a musician and had a voice that was  terrific.  They were balanced by Harrison's quiet but effective contributions.  When you combined them it was really a very special sound.  Elvis - as well - it wasn't just about women.  He had a voice that was golden!  No matter where you were ( or even where you are today) there wasn't a need for any announcer to say who was singing - every person with a pulse knew Elvis's voice.
CCR - John Fogerty in same boat - unique voice, extraoardinary ability to sing and take on social issues.   Again - no announcer need for CCR.

There are  many great bands today - I agree with you on this NELA......   but they lack that something special -  that sets them apart from the others, which I believe puts the Beatles, Hank, Elvis in the category of " it wouldn't matter what year you heard them, it would still be uniquely awesome" .

Just my opinion:)
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke