Topic: The perfect campfire guitar

I have a real challenge for you all!

I dont think there is such a thing as a perfect guitar, since the uses of the guitar is so varied. However, is the such a thing as a perfect special purpose guitar? Lets say a "campfire guitar". A guitar that you could bring with you and play about the bonfires at Chordiestock. It should of course be durable, and have good sound and playability.

In other words, if you had access to a high quality guitar manufacturer: what materials should be used (e,g, solid woods, laminate, mix) and which types of wood for the top, sides, back, and neck (fingerboard vs back); which body shape would you prefer (for a "campfire guitar") and how would you prefer it to sound (sound signature); any other preferences not covered here such as wood grain/finish, shape of headstock, style of tuners, materials for the bridge or nut, inlays, no inlays, dots, ornamentation (sound-hole rosette), scale length, fret to body. All suggestions are welcome!

Come with your suggestions, and I will send the new Chordie T-shirt (with the soon-to-be-released new Chordie logo) to the one having the best suggestions.

And... there needs to be some realism in the suggestions. Use materials/designs that would be reasonable to find in a sub-$1000 guitar.

Re: The perfect campfire guitar

I happened to play a Composite Acoustics "Cargo" guitar a couple years ago, and thought that this would be the ideal guitar for situations like you've described. Pretty much impervious to weather conditions, 34" overall length for portability, yet still sized / scaled to give familiar play-ability and sound. I know this sorely lacks imagination, but I honestly can't think of anything better:

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/spe … _18007.pdf

The only drawback is that I think that it was priced at around $1500 at the time. No way I'm gonna win a T-shirt with this suggestion! lol

To me the perfect campfire guitar would be made of "rich lighter" pine. This wood can be polished up to a high sheen and would make excellant "kindling" for starting a fire. But then you would not have a guitar to play so you would have to have a "back-up" in order to be able to play with the other "folks". That's when I would do a little research into what type guitar "Joey" does not have and bring that one with me. That way when the fire dies down and things begin to get quite you can begin negotiations with "Joey", sell him the guitar and have your trip all paid for.

Nela

FYI, I will need a 2XL T shirt.

Lets bring this back on track.

My apologies for giving you the wrong ideas here, and maybe overstating the campfire-aspect. Im not looking for a weird unorthodox traveller designs.

Try instead to imagine the perfect "second guitar" that you could play anywhere - sitting in on your couch at home, or at the beach with friends. Playing the kind of music you'll find in the "Campfire-song"-collection on Chordie. Not something that you have to be very afraid for getting small scratches in, but something with high quality and sound.

The race for t-shirts are still on....

To me the most important thing is the 'playability' of any guitar. The neck should have a shallow profile so that my small hands can get round it comfortably (I hate a Gibson's chunky neck) and the action should be low. I do not like a large dreadnought size and the mini-jumbo is my ideal size, preferably with a cut-away to get to those top frets. The neck needs to have fret marker dots in the centre and on the edge and, as for timber materials, I am not too concerned as long as it has a rich sound, if I had to make a choice, I would say that a solid spruce top and mahogany sides and back would be fine.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Well, being partial to Ovation guitars and trying to stay under that price threshold (the Composite Acoustics is a GREAT suggestion TF!).
I would be looking at something like Ovation in a full depth "Balladeer" body (standard "round hole).  I travel with my Ovation 15 hole all the time and over  almost 9 years of wandering have not had to adjust the action once.  The Applause is lower cost, still has the fiber composite body, laminated top, channel reinforced neck, grover style 18:1 tuners, string through bridge, and radius fretboard (which makes it easier to transition from "most" electrics).
This thing has been impervious to the heat of the Arizona desert, frost of the Pacific Cascade mountains (in the dead of winter), humidity of the beach on a misty/foggy day,  passed around it's share of campfires without suffering, and flown in the overhead and once in the cargo hold of several airlines.   http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS244

The Applause branded version is a little less expensive but still a highly playable model with good tone and projection.... and BTW the price has really come down over the last 9 years!!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I would suggest a Taylor mini. They have a great neck , small body and sound great. Probably a mahogany back and sides and a spruce top.
I think smaller guitars sound better in mahogany, just my preference. As a second guitar at home or campfire they work well. I have a few friends who use them for those exact reasons. I have played them and they sure get my vote. And the cost is well under $1000.

I think that there is some misunderstanding here.

This is not to find an existing guitar that will fit the bill, but to have a custom built 'Chordie' guitar. Custom built to the specifications that are deemed to be the best the input that comes from these discussions.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

- Short scale (like a Gibson) for ease of travel.
- Onboard tuner and pickup (less crap to carry around)
- Solid top, laminate sides (keeps the price down)
- Natural matte wood finish, not painted or high gloss (wood and being outside kinda go together)
- Carry-on conforming case for travel, with padded sleeve for tablet or small computer.
- Single Cutaway (playability)
- Locking pegs (will help with keeping tune across multiple climates, etc.)

10 (edited by unclejoesband 2016-04-25 23:18:26)

Tenement Funster wrote:

The only drawback is that I think that it was priced at around $1500 at the time.

That sounds about right. My playing partner has one. One day I asked him what they cost. I was quite surprised. His was $1400 and I believe it's a base model. You can listen to it in this video. I feel it sounds pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-fF7Qq4z4A  Just block out our singing. smile

Campfires often mean changing temps throughout the course of the night. You sit around the fire for awhile then get up and walk around a bit. I remember from last October at the Pa gathering we had temps in the mid 60'sF (upper teens C) during the day and low 40's (5 C) at night. I had to adjust the tuning on the Martin a couple times as the temps dropped. An all laminate would be affected less than all solid wood. Then there is the strings to consider. Steel strings will react quicker to a temperature change than nylon. Personally, I'm not a big fan of nylon but some folks won't use anything else.

I have an all laminate guitar; an Epiphone. It was the first guitar I ever bought back in 1982. These days I leave it hanging on a wall all year long at my camp. The temperature can easily range from 85F (29C) in the summer to 25F (-5C) in the winter. It doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on it. 

My choice for a campfire guitar would be a solid top with lam back and sides. The lam sides equate to less $.  I came across just such a guitar and purchased it 2 years ago with the express purpose of taking it anywhere and not having to worry if it took a few hits. It's a low end Eastman that a local dealer sold to me for $225. MSRP was $399. He was closing his store and liquidating his stock. For those of you that were in Pa last fall, it was the one my brother was using all weekend.

I'm going on the road to see a few concerts and festivals this summer and I'll be taking it along. It has a nice full, rich sound and if it should get banged up a bit, no harm done.

I am willing to take my chances on dinging the top to get the more rich sound that a solid top can provide. I believe the lam sides would be less susceptible to damage and climate changes. So that's the combination I chose.

YMMV  smile

In the hands of a GOOD player most any "clunker" can be made to sound good. Never would I take a "custom" made guitar to a "campfire or beach enviroment". My choice would be a guitar a few steps above "entry level"  that has been set up to my playing style and needs. It would have a "on-board" tuner, locking strap buttons, laminate construction, medium strings, good tuners and be of a dreadnought size. Fit and finish would be something I could be proud of but not cost an arm and leg. Several guitars by Yamaha, Takamine and others meet these requirements very well. Also, the guitar would have to bought used and at a good price (for me not the seller) Also number 2, if I had a custom made guitar it would only be played in my home and never would it be carried out to a gig. Currently I own and play a DY52 12 string K Yairi that plays better than any Martin, Gibson or Taylor that I have had the chance to play (be they 6 string or 12 string) so, for me, that's the one for me.

Nela

I'd have to agree with NELA, I'm not taking along a $1000 custom guitar to play around a campfire.  Over the last 35 years I've owned about a dozen different "river" guitars that I've played at campfires across the country.  Usually its a $200-$400 (new) guitar that I've bought used at a good price because it had minor "issues" that I could rework.  After a year or two of playing it, I pass it on to a beginner with the stipulation that they pass it on to someone else if they buy a better axe.

For me the "ideal" camping guitar is "00" or "concert" sized so it can fit into a dry bag and be carried in a raft or canoe. Most campfire situations do not require a "boomer" so the smaller body is still loud enough to be heard in the night air.  Laminated sides, solid top, smooth frets, straight neck with adjustable truss rod, decent tuners, no ornamentation. (I'd rather be paying for decent wood and components than bling).  No on-board tuner that would add to the cost as I'd prefer to just use a "clip-on" that can be used by other pickers that might join in around the fire  And finally,  cheap enough so that when a drunk falls on it and turns it into kindling I can laugh it off and find another "river guitar".

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Roger Guppy wrote:

I think that there is some misunderstanding here.

This is not to find an existing guitar that will fit the bill, but to have a custom built 'Chordie' guitar. Custom built to the specifications that are deemed to be the best the input that comes from these discussions.

Roger

Are you sure Roger??? If you had a builder to put one together for you, and a $1.000,00 budget..... you might just acquire the woods and essential hardware.  A local Luthier friend of mine just received his new Breedlove, and he went to the factory, specified the model, woods (and hand picked all the panels himself), waited a year+ for the thing to come down the line at the custom side of the plant, and it only set him back about FIVE TIMES that cost. Despite deep discounting for being the #1 dealer in the Region for that Manufacturer.

It's Beautiful and sounds/plays devine...... NOT your "toss in the back of the pickup with the lawn chairs" instrument.  There are too many really good ones already built out there, that with a little looking you can find, that fill all your desired options and requirements.  But that said, Good Hunting, and keep those suggestions coming in folks! wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think the idea here is just to think... hypothetically, if you could specify the perfect for you "extra" guitar.  Be it a campfire guitar, or the one you take with you on a short road trip, playing around in the back yard or at a family style get together.  No tossing it in the fire, and no one so drunk that they'd crush it LOL!  I personally bring my Martin along with me to the campfires. I took it to PA. I haven't packed it in an airplane yet, that's too scary.  I think we're talking a guitar that would alleviate some GAS and put a smile on your face.  Of course a one off custom would be expensive (Martin- basic no frills guitar from Koa - ok, that'll be 7 grand) but we can dream!  Anyhow, I don't think we're talking custom, just... what are the features that you would want in such a guitar?  If you COULD have one made to your specs, what would you ask for?

12 fret, so you've got a shorter neck for ease of travel (and it has no need to be extra loud).  I don't have a use or a cut-away (what the heck do you do beyond the 7th fret?  LOL).   00 size, I agree with Ken on that one!  A slotted head stock, to keep tuning pegs out of the way from getting bumped (with closed tuners, so dirt and grime doesn't get into them). I like Joe's idea of the locking pegs though I've not yet strug a guitar with them, or really paid much attention to the ones here that have 'em.  I agree with others that laminate sides and back are probably a good idea.  If I'm paying over $500, it needs a solid top.  WHAT MATERIAL?  I'm not sure... I'm so partial to my mahogany and so far everything else I've heard sounds similar to my ear (or rather, NOT mahogany).  I suppose a standard sitka spruce top is fine, especially to keep the price down.  That said, I really think I'd like my next guitar to be Koa, and since I'm dreaming here, I also want a heart shaped sound hole.  That's not happening, but still I just had to toss that in there.  wink  Basically, nothing too jangly (yes, I realize Koa starts off jangly, but it should open up to a richer sound).

Most important is play-ability.  I'm with Roger, can't stand the big rounded back necks I've found on Gibsons.  I don't mind a wider neck, but I like them fairly flat in the back.  A low oval shaped neck. I tend to have issues with a neck that's too skinny though (which I find happens in a lot of electric guitars).  A pick guard is essential (tortoise please).  I don't think it should have any on board electronics.  I'd rather bring the clip on tuner along.  It should have strap buttons ready to use (a minor thing sometimes not added). Binding, inlays, rosette bling are all unnecessary. And along with the looks, lets see the wood.  Tusq nut and saddle. 

OK - so what about bracing guys?  I don't know anything about it, but I do know there are opinions out there.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

15 (edited by Zurf 2016-04-26 14:56:40)

000 size.  The body shape should be a bit wider at the butt and a bit narrower at the neck and have a radiused back.  It ought to snug up right against the player's body when laying on the "pick hand" thigh. 
Cedar top for mellow.
Low action for easy barre chords.
Maybe a 12 fret.  Most campfire songs are strummers. 
Single cut-away.
I'd think an engineered material for the back and sides would be good, to make it less flex-y.  Martin and Ovation both have engineered materials that work well in guitars. 
I'd like to see a neck similar to the one on my Guild.  It's just a hair wider than "usual" and it's fairly flat.  If you take a Martin dreadnaught neck and a Yamaha classical neck, and those two necks have a love child that's about 4/5 Martin and 1/5 Yamaha, that'd be the neck.  This would make for easier flat-picking, but still support good finger-picking.  The material should be dynabond (or whatever that stuff is called - the plywood where all the layers are tone woods and the grain goes the same direction in all of them - very stiff and nearly impervious to humidity changes but still has the good feel of wood).
The fretboard can be an engineered material or some rock hard wood. 
Good clean frets.
Tusq nut, bridge, and pegs. 
Ebony peg holder thingymado where the bridge rests.  Because ebony wood is cool. 
Brace that sucker to emphasize the low and mid. 

I guess what I've described is more or less a Martin DX series, in 000 size, Takemine body shape, a Seagull top, and a Guild neck shape and bracing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think a inexpensive guitar would do something that your not going to get upset with if it gets damaged.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Oh, and Seagulls are around $400, Martin DX and Ovation can be as "low" as $600, Guild has a few models in the $400 range but mostly around $600 to $800, and Takemines range as low as $400.  So, this "perfect" guitar I described should be able to sell WELL below $1,000.  Possibly half that.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

18 (edited by beamer 2016-04-26 20:17:17)

My two cents, a shallow ovation "Student" guitar, small easy to play tough composite body and good action.  If size is not an issue, The Xaviere that I brought to CS.  sounds and plays great, great action, and oh about $150.00, right now on sale,  if really needing to go small, the Martin back packer should do it.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I guess im just crazy I take my taylor 510 on our annual river trip Arkansas,  but Don't take it to work I take my martin lxm or my tak jasmine when I fly to work

out of tune out of key and out of touch

MOJO you met my daughter yet? LOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Was at the music store and they had some pretty descent $100 starters. anyone of them would be a camp fire  beater. at a hundred, cant really go wrong.

Ok... so I've been going over the comments here, and trying to organize the thoughts  - for fun!

price range has been quoted more often than not in the $200-$400 range for a "camp" guitar with a high price tag of $500 and low of $150

Ideas, preferences:

Neck:
shallow profile neck/low oval neck shape
low action, clean frets (everyone agrees here!)
fret marker dots
short scale possibly 12 fret
Neck material?  No one seems picky here?

SIZE/Shape:
mini-jumbo
dread
radiused back

Most prefer a cut-away

Almost everyone agrees on a solid top and laminate back/sides
Material???
A few suggestions for:
solid spruce top
mahogany back and sides

all laminate was suggested, if it's the good stuff!

Other suggestions for finish and extras:
matte finish
no bling (aside from the comments about fret dots)
pick guard
locking tuners
slotted headstock
closed tuners
locking strap buttons/strap buttons needed
Tusq nut, saddle, pins
some say- on-board tuner/pickup
others say- NO on-board electronics

Does anyone have additional thoughts or ideas? Want to comment on what the popular thoughts are?  Have an opinion on that top wood?  What if this wasn't a "campfire" guitar, but rather a second guitar?  Not the one you take where it will get ruined, but not the $3,000 guitar you're dreaming about either!  This is that... extra guitar that you keep on hand to take into your OWN backyard, or on the porch.  A little sunshine wont' hurt it, and you wouldn't mind letting a friend play it when they're over.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks a lot for summing up, Amy.

To get the discussion rolling again, lets try to make it more targeted. Lets say - purely hypothetical - that Chordie was in the position of getting 100 custom made guitars from an high quality guitar manufacturer. Obviously there is no one-size-fits-all for guitars, but perhaps there are some designs or features that are better suited to, or more characteristic of, a specific theme or "purpose"? Lets say - still purely hypothetical - that the theme that was chosen was "campfire" and that the target price was sub-$500.

In other words - how should the specification for such a guitar be?

I think the best approach is when someone else buys the guitar and then gives it to you.  That makes it good.

25 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-05-10 00:26:50)

admin wrote:

Thanks a lot for summing up, Amy.

To get the discussion rolling again, lets try to make it more targeted. Lets say - purely hypothetical - that Chordie was in the position of getting 100 custom made guitars from an high quality guitar manufacturer. Obviously there is no one-size-fits-all for guitars, but perhaps there are some designs or features that are better suited to, or more characteristic of, a specific theme or "purpose"? Lets say - still purely hypothetical - that the theme that was chosen was "campfire" and that the target price was sub-$500.

In other words - how should the specification for such a guitar be?

- solid Sitka Spruce top (cheapest of the spruces)
- laminate mahogany back & sides
- 00/concert/folk body size w/ single cutaway
- mahogany neck w/ rosewood or Richlite bound fingerboard
- 1.7" nut (Tusq nut, saddle, pins)
- no pickup needed (no electricity at a campfire, right?)
- fan-braced top, not X-braced (more lively, more resonant)
- 24.5" scale (familiar playability)
- maple for all body bindings & rosette

Finally ... a heat-embossed logo into the lower bout of the top, with a campfire graphic, and the name "Chordie Campfire" underneath it when held vertically.

This should be capable of being built at a $500 price tag, but still offer a decent quality, rich sounding guitar, that will feel "familiar" in most guitarist's hands.