1 (edited by Cork_92 2016-05-16 00:03:03)

Topic: Songs with Suspended Chords

Looking for songs which prominently feature suspended barre chords.   Also wondering if anyone ever uses  Open G for some of these.   From memory, I believe these classic rock songs feature them:

Cold Gin - KISS
Hot Blooded - Foreigner
Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
Saturday Night's...Fighting - Elton John

(Rolling Stones feature many of these, too.)

Thanks.

Re: Songs with Suspended Chords

What do you mean by suspended? Are you saying a sus 4?

Yes.

There are tons. Throwing a sus in is a nice way to embellish a chord. I'm not sure if you want the list limited to unresolved sus4s, or if sus2s are also in the running, but here are some off the top of my head.
More Than A Feeling
Last Dance with Mary Jane (sus2)
Can't You See
I Will Survive
Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme Song)
Sailing (Christopher Cross)
Faithfully (Journey)
Like A Rolling Stone

As to the suspended barre chords part of the question - you can play any of these as a barre. I guess maybe I don't understand the question?
Finally the open G question...are you asking if instead of playing a sus4 you can just play an open chord?

Sorry if I'm annoying just trying to understand what you're looking for. smile

funny how one of my favourite songs come from one of my least favourite groups

ARGENT; HOLD YOUR HEAD UP.

the main riff consists of Dsus4 to D

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

6 (edited by Cork_92 2016-05-16 19:57:34)

Well, I'm familiar with the first position chords like the Dsus to D ( like Crazy Little Thing Called Love intro, etc.).    I haven't really encountered them as much in barre chords and am just looking for any examples worth exploring.

Gotcha!  Sus chords kinda sound lame when played in barre position, in my opinion. I prefer to play them in open position or by moving the F shape up the neck with muted a and e strings.

Every once in a while I'll play a rootless a or d chord up the neck (which is kind of like a barre but without barreing anything, and without the low strings coming in to play) and hammer on the sus 4 but that really only works when there's a band behind you.

Gotcha!  Sus chords kinda sound lame when played in barre position, in my opinion. I prefer to play them in open position or by moving the F shape up the neck with muted a and e strings.

Every once in a while I'll play a rootless a or d chord up the neck (which is kind of like a barre but without barreing anything, and without the low strings coming in to play) and hammer on the sus 4 but that really only works when there's a band behind you.

Thanks.   Didn't want to miss anything.   The fingering in Cold Gin by KISS has a lot of sus chords, but it feels a bit awkward so just looking for insights.   Open G tuning seems to work pretty well for some of those songs.

I've only listened to that tune once (for this conversation) but those aren't really sus chords. They are hammering on the IV chord. In a song in open G using standard tuning, the chod progression would look like this:

3     3
0     1
0     0
0     2
2     x
3     3

Which isn't G sus, but more like C/G.

Black Crows do the same thing in Jealous Again and Keith does it all the time in Stones tunes.

If you're in open tuning you can play the "LONGGGGGG A" barre chord, playing the root with your pinkie and hammer this on with fingers 3 and 4 (but you'll need to mute high e).