Topic: dynamics

Looking for basic info on improving sound dynamics in a 4 piece rock band setting.  Everyone playing at 100 mph and turned up to "11" all night is not good for that.  Would also welcome info on basic dynaimcs re: singing. Thanks!

Re: dynamics

Ahhhh the dynamics question. I can write books on this. Let's start with this:
If you aren't on a budget, everyone should mic up and get in-ear monitors with their own mix that allows you to put yourself in the front of the mix.

Regardless of budget, here are some sound best practices.
1. In my experience lots of bands set up their rehearsal space so that you are playing right next to or in front of your amp, which puts you close to your controls. Problem with this is that you are also outside the radius of the speakers. Instead, you should put your own amp across the room and point it at your face. This will allow most of your sound to project in to you rather than whacking your bassist with your sweet singing distortion. It will lead to a lot less volume creep.
2. Don't just practice in one position or one volume level. Once you start gigging out, you're going to deal with obstinate sound guys, stubborn bar owners, and strange stage configurations, all of which will result in your needing to reduce volume/increase volume/have your amp nowhere near you. Practice playing with your amps at comfortable rehearsal level, but also practice with your sound cut in half. Make yourself play through that awkwardness and still get a good sound/have good vibes.
3. Don't let anyone turn up to 11 all night. Force your volume down. Have your drummer play at 1/2 dynamic.
4. Practice unplugged or with acoustic guitars sometime.
5. Get your drummer those h-rods so he can slam away with less volume.
6. Designate hand signals so your band leader can bring things down if they are getting out of control.
7. Even if a song is going really well, if it's too loud and obnoxious cut off the tune, say "let's bring it down a bit" and start over.
8. Do away with the old "but brah my sweet 390 watt tube amp only sounds good if you get the tubes nice and hot" by purchasing a power soak or one of these for your effects loop, either of which will allow you to run tubes hot and bring the output down. https://www.amazon.com/Carls-Custom-Gui … soak+pedal

Also, don't forget to wear hearing protection.

Have fun!