1 (edited by Dirty Ed 2016-07-02 19:19:12)

Topic: Interesting Read

Per the suggestion of my son I just finished reading David Teie's book "Human Music".  Teie is a cellist, composer, lecturer and Fulbright Scholar who has performed over the world in concert as well as performed with Metallica.  His exploration into the emotional side of music  led him to studying sounds in the womb of various animals as well as humans, his theory being that the sounds we hear in the womb help determine our taste in music.  He has produced species specific music for cats and tamarin monkeys and "Human Music" is the result of his studies on human fetal sounds.

For example, the breathing rate for a mother is about 1/4 of the resting heartbeat, with inhalation being the loudest sound and exhalation slightly quieter, producing a 4/4 time with accents on 1 (inhalation) and 3 (exhalation).  This may explain while the development of drums around the world has pretty much followed the same path, while variations in language and how it is heard in the womb has resulted in Asian, African,European, middle eastern (etc) styles of music and melodies.

He also delves into why the angst of youth leads teens to listen to heavy metal, how and why different musical sounds elicit different emotions, etc. How genetics affect our musical appreciation and emotional reactions to music. In all, a pretty interesting read, especially to those who compose and write songs.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Interesting Read

This reminds me of this clip where Bobby McFerrin "dances" the pentatonic scale and the audience reacts in perfect pitch - he says it is universal - wherever he travels over the world the audience gives the same response. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsO53yd … AE4QkdwJmc

That clip is just a small part of a long conference. The whole conference is over an hour, but it is very interesting. Music is universal, something we are all born with.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Fascinating stuff, to be sure.

I can't recall a conscious moment in my entire life, when there hasn't been a tune going in my mind. Sometimes it'll get audible, and I'll be singing, humming, or whistling it. Heard or unheard ... the music is always there. It might be something I've heard recently or not, something I play or don't, and even something I like or dislike. The one constant is the presence of music.

That book sounds like a "must read", DE ... thanks for telling us about it.

Someone needs to study how I get cranky if I don't play guitar every day.