1 (edited by Jandle 2016-07-06 01:07:27)

Topic: That darn F chord on Guitar

Now i know why i play ukulele .............. i hate that F chord on guitar ........... i have trouble barring it and i haven`t mastered getting there quick enough yet to play it the other way ........... i will persevere when my fingers stop throbbing from the steel strings ........
ok .....  i have finished moaning .... as you were cool

Edited to fix smiley icon from :cool   to cool   Jandle

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Re: That darn F chord on Guitar

Yep. I remember those days of not being able to play anything with an F chord.

Try bouncing back and forth between the F and C. I used to do that every night as part of my practice routine when I started learning. Just a few minutes every time you get the guitar out and you'll have it in a couple weeks. smile

As Joe says, learning to play 'C' to 'F' is a good exercise but if you play your 'C' chord as 'C/G' like this:
http://jguitar.com/images/chordshape/C-Major-G-3,3,2,0,1,0.png

Then changing to 'F' entails moving the three fingers on the 6th, 5th and 4th up a string in unison across to the 5th, 4th and 3rd, then barring the index finger and make it a far simpler transition.

A true 'C' should be played on 5 strings only but the majority of us will play all six, and C with an E base does not sound as sweet as c with a G base.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-07-06 09:23:41)

Yes, the "F" is often a challenge, and the exercise given above (C > F > C > F, etc.) is a great one.

Another thing that may help, is changing the angle of the guitar neck to your body. Try raising the neck upwards so that it forms a steeper angle to your body, instead of sticking almost straight out to the side. This allows your whole hand and forearm to have a more comfortable / natural position on the fretboard. It's also helpful to hold the body of the guitar slightly tipped back towards you. You'll notice that all classical guitarists hold their guitar in this way, and it's a much more ergonomic position ... like this:

http://www.yehudimenuhinschool.co.uk/images/pages/media/large/laura-snowden.jpg

This was pointed out to me years ago, and by allowing the fretting hand to take a more natural angle to the fretboard, a whole lot of things get much easier ... including the dreaded "F" chord.

Jan

I know what you are saying girl.
I used to avoid the F like it was a disease.
Now I kind of prefer the F - I like it's sound along with the C.

Remember - the first guys naming notes probably named it an  " F " chord for a reason ! smile
Keep on keeping on - it will get easier.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

nice change from rubbishing the B chord, by the way, is the amnesty over? haven't heard much about it for some time.....FOL

back to F, i mostly play it up the neck or using my index finger holding down the B & E strings leaving the bass E unplayed (is that a word?) again the C to F to C to F is good practice and you know what practice makes?....yeah you're right...... blisters.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

unclejoesband wrote:

Yep. I remember those days of not being able to play anything with an F chord.

Try bouncing back and forth between the F and C. I used to do that every night as part of my practice routine when I started learning. Just a few minutes every time you get the guitar out and you'll have it in a couple weeks. smile

Thanks unclejoesband ......... good idea and yep i hope i get it soon too ......makes songs terrible every time i have to stop to play the F chord.

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Roger .......... Thanks for that ........ i am guessing your talking about barring chords, which i haven`t mastered yet smile   I am still in the learners mode, so my C chord is just on 3 strings at this point smile

TF ........... now that is a good idea, I have tried that in the past and it felt more comfortable i must admit ........... but i then noticed most guitar players didn`t seem to play like that, so i thought i was doing it wrong,  so i stopped playing it that way................but maybe i will go back to that style because it is definately easier to get my hand on there and bar that F chord.  Thanks smile

10 (edited by Jandle 2016-07-07 05:35:12)

TIGLJK wrote:

Jan

I know what you are saying girl.
I used to avoid the F like it was a disease.
Now I kind of prefer the F - I like it's sound along with the C.

Remember - the first guys naming notes probably named it an  " F " chord for a reason ! smile
Keep on keeping on - it will get easier.

Jim

TIGLJK ............ yes i love the sound of the F chord too and YES i am sure whoever named it that F letter/Chord had a very good reason!!!! lol smile

Edited to add the word letter/chord  Jandle

Phill Williams wrote:

nice change from rubbishing the B chord, by the way, is the amnesty over? haven't heard much about it for some time.....FOL

back to F, i mostly play it up the neck or using my index finger holding down the B & E strings leaving the bass E unplayed (is that a word?) again the C to F to C to F is good practice and you know what practice makes?....yeah you're right...... blisters.

phill

Phill .............. i haven`t advanced enough yet on guitar to have tried the B chord yet! ....... don`t tell me i am in for more horrible chords to play sad   
Playing the F chord up the neck, is that like frets further up? or do you mean barring?  I am obvioulsy going to have to google the F chord.
Oh yeah .....now I am  just showing how much i don`t know about guitars and chords  aren`t  I  roll

The b chord is evil. Always has been. Always will be.

As for barre chords vs cowboy chords, some tips are to raise the neck a bit, be sure that there's a space between the crook in your hand and the guitar neck, and to push your wrist forward some when going to the barre chord.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Jan, I probably shouldn't jump in here, but everyone knew I would anyway I'm sure.  I don't play any barre chords.  Not one.  SOMETIMES I think I should, and I practice a little.  I can see a lot of benefits. Some songs "need" the sound of barred chords.  I enjoy watching my husband play songs that I think are super tricky, and he just glides through them because he's barring EVERY single chord.  But, I'm really stubborn.  Maybe I like to make life difficult.  LOL!

So, I play a non-barred F.  When I first started, I'd leave the high E string alone.  So my first F was not much different than a C.  You can kind of mute the high E string as well.  Now, I play both the High E and B strings with my index finger.  Mini-barre if you will. 
This one:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7302/28149780435_1af4cc1144_t.jpg

As a general rule, if I can find a way to play a chord that sounds decent and makes my life easier, I do it.  smile  I play Bm and Cm without a barre too.  (shh, they're all gonna yell at me!)  I started playing in the more classical position that TF suggested.  Of course, I WAS playing a classical guitar!  smile  Now I usually hold my guitar in a more traditional position, but I still tend to tilt the guitar up toward my face a little (can see the fretboard better).  This makes it much trickier to attempt barre chords, I will admit.  So, if you're holding the guitar in a traditional position rather than the classical position, try to make sure it's not tilted up.  A strap helps put it into the correct position.  smile 

Good luck!  As for finger pain, maybe try putting the capo on and playing up a few frets.  The action will be lower there but fingering doesn't change.  You can work your way back down as your calluses develop more.  smile 

OR - just keep toughing it out and learn the "right" way!  big_smile  GOOD LUCK LADY!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf .......... I`m not even gonna look at the dreaded B chord yet , i figure the evil F Chord is enough for now lol.  Thanks for the suggestions as well ...............  will try and give it ago then ago.

Amy .........thank you as well.  The diagram you put in your comment is the F chord i play at the moment and i still struggle with it.  Thanks for all the tips, i think i will try the classical style for awhile and see how i get on. 

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE for all the help smile

jan, the easiest F chord shape to play is in the D shape. you will need a capo which you will place on the 3rd frett (G) the problem you'll have then is working out how to play or what shape the other chords are eg; C-G. or Bb! if you'll be playing in the key of C then the shapes will be as if you were playing A-E-D. or in the key of F; D-A-G. capos make life a lot easier.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

16 (edited by beamer 2016-07-09 01:15:35)

Its just practice. I would just go F to C to D and back wards.  If full 4 finger bar chords are hard for you  just start with the root 5ths. index and ring finger.  One trick I was taught to move a bar chord around is for the E shape, with out using your index finger, make an E with other 3 fingers, strum a few times and move down one fret, put index across the neck to act as your bar.  You can do this with the Am shape also.   Go between the open chords and the bar chords. takes time, but it will get easier.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Phill .... now that sounds interesting,  I will give that a try as well, thanks smile

Beamer .... thanks for that, sounds complicated BUT when i will get my guitar out and see if i can follow what your meaning and give it ago as well, thank you smile

When if I am successful with this, i will definately let you all know (as long as i haven`t thrown the guitar out the window by then that is) smile

Jandle wrote:

(as long as i haven`t thrown the guitar out the window by then that is) smile

That crossed my mind back in the day as well. But with living alone in a new area, no TV and only knowing a couple people I had nothing else to do so I stuck with it.

You'll get there; just like the rest of us did. 

https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.meme.am%2Finstances%2F53219408.jpg&sp=78cc54ef4520df51575184996eee6874

Howdy, Jan! Good to see you again. I actually have less trouble with F than I do with B or B7.  Once you get that index finger over the 1st E and 1st B. The rest comes easy.
I BELIEVE IN YOU, WOMAN WITH THE PRETTY VOICE!!! smile smile smile  You can do it, as Joe says. Just gotta keep at it and then one day you will REGALE us with a tune you will sing with that DAGNABBIT F chord! wink

Wishing you all the musical best getting there, my friend.

Always

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

unclejoesband .................. lol yes, i need patience .......... *sigh* thank you yoda smile

Strummberboy ............ good to see you again too  smile Thanks for that and yes i just gotta keep at it ........ ho hum smile

I will get my son to hold the phone and do a quick vid of what I am talking about. they it will be hand to head OHHHHHH thats it!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)