1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-12-22 22:00:15)

Topic: Ernie Ball "Everlast" Strings - Thumbs Down

For whatever reason, I decided to try a different type of coated string on my Larrivee about a week ago. I usually use the Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 Bronze (12-53's) and have been very happy with them. The ones I tried are the Ernie Ball "Everlast" coated, with the same metallic compound and gauge:

http://www.ernieball.com/products/acous … stic-light

I can't say anything good about them. They sounded dead right out of the package, won't stay in tune, and have no more sustain than a noodle. They act like they've used old spar varnish for the coating. If you're ever tempted to try them, save your dough and leave them in the store. It's cost me a wasted $15 to learn this.

Re: Ernie Ball "Everlast" Strings - Thumbs Down

Elixers have never let me down, always liked their feel and sound.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I agree, BlueJeep ... I don't know what it is that makes a person want to try something new once in a while, but it often doesn't work out. I put new Elixir's back on this afternoon, and am glad to have my guitar sounding great again.

I've never had a desire to use coated strings.  I did drop a guage on my acoustics (.13s to .12s) last time I restrung it, and I'm pretty happy with that.  I'm gonna put flat wounds on THUNDERSTICK!!!, too.  So change is good.  Sorta. big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like experimenting with new strings - it's cheap, temporary and who knows - you might find a set you love! I'm not at all a fan of Elixer's - I've snapped Elixer G's within a few hours of putting them on. Zurf was kind enough to send me a few set of Ernie Ball Earthwoods and I put a set of 12's on my new J45 - they sound really good - a whole lot better than whatever strings it was shipped with. I'm looking forward to contrasting them to my normal go-to John Pearse 80/20's, but even then I'll be shopping for something different on my next order. I typically buy 5 or 6 sets of the JP strings and toss in something different on each order.

Sound is so subjective - what one loves, another will hate. I will say if you have the chance let someone else play your guitar while listening - it likely is a totally different sound you hear than while playing it yourself.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I use Ernie Ball Earthwoods light gauge. Actually I have never heard of coated strings until I read about them on this site. Until they changed the packaging on Martin Silk and Steels, I used them all the time. I am picky on my acoustic strings. For electrics, I use whatever is cheapest at the time

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I have mentioned befor that im not impressed with the Silk and steels.  Something is just not there, espically on my 12 string.  I might restring just the primary 6 with something more traditional and leave the silks on the smaller ones and see how they sound.

As far as the Elecrics, my "go-to" is still GHS Boomers.  I have never messed with flat wound or any other type.  a few yrs ago I steped up from 9's to 10s so I could have a fatter sound.  I am thinking on my next set up on the SG Ill go back to 9's and have it set for them.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I've always like the coated strings. I liked the old Martin SP+ but they don't make them anymore. Now all I use are the Elixer Phospher Bronze lights or custom lights. When I do 4 hours of music a night they are way easier on my fingers. And there is plenty of volume and tone from my Martins and Taylors. In the end you pick what sounds best to you.

Joe

That's how we find the best strings for our use.  Try em all.  You usually go back to a favorite.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I am skeptical of anything promising to be "everlasting". Just look what Willie Wonk'a Everlasting Gobstopper did to Violet Beauregarde!
dj

p.s. strings are an affordable way to experiment.

Speaking of strings, I'll be putting a new set on my Alvarez today, it will give me a chance to use the new snark tuner Santa brought me.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

New strings and a Snark tuner.  I love my Snark

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I got three sets of Earthwood 12s.  I'm very happy about that.  They work well on both my main acoustics.  I use D'Addario silk and steel 11's on Ol' Reliable. 

Elixir nanowebs are good too.  But the Earthwoods are half the price.  The nanowebs may last twice as long under normal circumstances, but I've taken to a very heavy hand with a lot of thumping and smashing about on the strings and therefore busting strings.  Busted strings don't sound so good, and so half the price sounds pretty darned good.  If you read that three times it might begin to make sense.  I recommend listening to some Pink Floyd while reading it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I guess I am lucky as I use the D'addario strings on all my guitars and they are real good and sell for a reasonable price.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I keep going back to Curt Mangan mediums.  I seem to like them the best.  They are pretty cheap and last quite a while.

I am a Martin Silk n steel fan been using them for over 20 yrs love um

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I recently changed to D'addario EXP's coated phosphor bronz on my 12 string, there was a noticeable improvement in warmth in the lower strings

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

We had a similar discussion once or ten times before.  I always liked the Elixir nanowebs, but for my Martin I have found (so far) the silk and steels play much nicer.  I'll still use the Elixirs on my Epi though.  I'm going to try the SP's next.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Mr. Clampett (RIP) built a homade bass and had it strung with weed eater strings. Sounded pretty good.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

Mr. Clampett (RIP) built a homade bass and had it strung with weed eater strings. Sounded pretty good.

My washtub bass is strung with clothes line.  Appropriate, I think.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Markie33 wrote:
deadstring wrote:

That sounds awesome!

this post smells of pork! by the way markie33, there are two "m"'s in homemade

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.