Topic: Rookie question

I've recently begun ditching the pick whilst playing acoustic, in favor of strumming with fingernails and thumb. Every once in a while I get a bit aggressive and hit my nail base/cuticle area, which is starting to get bruised, bloody and sore. I am planning to play through it and build callouses, but before I do... do any of y'all have this same issue? Will I eventually acclimate to it and callous or am I just traumatizing my fingers with no end in sight?

2 (edited by dino48 2016-07-22 01:05:26)

Re: Rookie question

Wow sounds like you are overdoing it a bit maybe try using a good banaid some. I play with no pick all the time and have had a lot of pain. I play in a Mark Knoffler style.you might also take a look at Paul Mc Cartney doing Blackbird on acoustic he flips the strings,he has a lot of posts on you tube. I really enjoy playing that song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sounds painful, BGD.

I take it from your description that you're striking the strings with the backs of your fingers? If so, it would help if you didn't bend your fingers / thumb as much, so that only your nails are hitting the strings. This may also involve finding and "locking in" your hand placement at a fixed distance from the strings, so that the fleshy backs of your fingers can't even reach the strings. This is something a classical guitar teacher told me ... hope it eases your pain somewhat.

4 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-07-22 09:35:51)

I play classical guitar and have for over 40 years and I also teach classical guitar. Personally I play with callouses and have  always played that way. If you are careful and cut or file  your nails short and play with your finger tips you will develop callouses. I second the fact that on your right hand keep your fingers straight so just the tips of your fingers hit the strings. Another reason to keep them straight is as you play faster songs you can move your fingers faster than if you bend them. Also keep your right hand free and do not rest your hand or pinky finger on your guitar. Long term your will better movement.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Quick nail anatomy lesson! 

The area of living skin around the top of the nail often referred to (improperly) as the cuticle area is actually called the Eponychium - also referred to as the "nail fold".  The cuticle is actually a very thin layer of dead skin on top of the nail that is often scraped and removed during a manicure (it should only be partially removed, not completely removed).  The eponychium along with the cuticle help to seal the nail from bacteria.  The area under this and below the nail (where you can see a white crescent) is where the nail is actually formed and is called the matrix.  Should the matrix become too damaged, the nail will no longer form. 

It's not good to damage the eponychium.  It's an area highly prone to swelling up like a balloon - rushing white cells to the area -  to help prevent bacteria from entering the nail bed and permanently damaging the matrix. You know, like... you get a scratch anywhere and - no biggie - but you get a scratch right along your eyelid and all heck breaks loose!  Natural defenses and all.  Be careful there. 

I don't know if you'd build up callouses there or not, I kind of think not though.  Possible infection in that area would cause a lot more pain and possible trouble down the road.  If you're playing that rough, you're scraping off small layers from the top of the nail too.  Eventually this could cause brittle nails, splitting, flaking, etc - making it difficult to grow the nails long enough and keep them there for finger picking.  I think - if you're doing a lot of strumming and hitting the strings with the tops of the nails - it might be a good idea to plop on a protective layer (Look for a nail ridge filler - it's generally fairly clear and matte). 

If you do opt for a Fire Engine Red topcoat lacquer, you'll be able to see very quickly how much damage is being done to the top of the nail as the polish gets scraped and scoffed off.  I try to limit myself to just a few songs that I strum without a pick, for the health of my nails (and rarely wear polish because it doesn't look good at all after an evening of  guitar playing). 

Interesting fact: It takes about 6 months for the body to repair the typical damage done by one poor nail service (ie, acrylic nail surface preparation generally includes filing the nail surface and the "cheapo" places tend to over do it.  Then women will also often peel the acrylic off once it starts to lift - taking additional nail surface layers off in the process).  These are your claws.  Protect your claws.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Classical Guitar wrote:

I play classical guitar and have for over 40 years and I also teach classical guitar. Personally I play with callouses and have  always played that way. If you are careful and cut or file  your nails short and play with your finger tips you will develop callouses. I second the fact that on your right hand keep your fingers straight so just the tips of your fingers hit the strings. Another reason to keep them straight is as you play faster songs you can move your fingers faster than if you bend them. Also keep your right hand free and do not rest your hand or pinky finger on your guitar. Long term your will better movement.

I already have callouses on the tips of both hands. I'm more referring to deeply strumming the guitar and getting the back of my fingers (the top of the nail down to the nail base) involved with the strum.

mekidsmom wrote:

Quick nail anatomy lesson! 

The area of living skin around the top of the nail often referred to (improperly) as the cuticle area is actually called the Eponychium - also referred to as the "nail fold".  The cuticle is actually a very thin layer of dead skin on top of the nail that is often scraped and removed during a manicure (it should only be partially removed, not completely removed).  The eponychium along with the cuticle help to seal the nail from bacteria.  The area under this and below the nail (where you can see a white crescent) is where the nail is actually formed and is called the matrix.  Should the matrix become too damaged, the nail will no longer form. 

It's not good to damage the eponychium.  It's an area highly prone to swelling up like a balloon - rushing white cells to the area -  to help prevent bacteria from entering the nail bed and permanently damaging the matrix. You know, like... you get a scratch anywhere and - no biggie - but you get a scratch right along your eyelid and all heck breaks loose!  Natural defenses and all.  Be careful there. 

I don't know if you'd build up callouses there or not, I kind of think not though.  Possible infection in that area would cause a lot more pain and possible trouble down the road.  If you're playing that rough, you're scraping off small layers from the top of the nail too.  Eventually this could cause brittle nails, splitting, flaking, etc - making it difficult to grow the nails long enough and keep them there for finger picking.  I think - if you're doing a lot of strumming and hitting the strings with the tops of the nails - it might be a good idea to plop on a protective layer (Look for a nail ridge filler - it's generally fairly clear and matte). 

If you do opt for a Fire Engine Red topcoat lacquer, you'll be able to see very quickly how much damage is being done to the top of the nail as the polish gets scraped and scoffed off.  I try to limit myself to just a few songs that I strum without a pick, for the health of my nails (and rarely wear polish because it doesn't look good at all after an evening of  guitar playing). 

Interesting fact: It takes about 6 months for the body to repair the typical damage done by one poor nail service (ie, acrylic nail surface preparation generally includes filing the nail surface and the "cheapo" places tend to over do it.  Then women will also often peel the acrylic off once it starts to lift - taking additional nail surface layers off in the process).  These are your claws.  Protect your claws.  smile

Thanks for all the info. I don't grow nails because of my flatpicking technique. I barely use any pick and so even well-kept nails tend to get snagged when I'm strumming, particularly on the index finger.

I have damage to my nail bed on my rh ring finger that was caused by an encounter with a rogue patio door when I was like 6, so I def. want to avoid any more of that. Problem is I'm really liking the tone and flexibility of dumping the pick. Lots more flexibility...guess i need to play with technique some.

Thanks again for all the info!

Baldguitardude wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:

I already have callouses on the tips of both hands. I'm more referring to deeply strumming the guitar and getting the back of my fingers (the top of the nail down to the nail base) involved with the strum.

I watched you play Down on the corner and it looks like you are hitting the strings very hard.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah I play hard with heavy gauge strings.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Yeah I play hard with heavy gauge strings.

Have you thought of using a lighter gauge string? Would that help the problem are having?

At one time I used a heavy gauge with one of my classical guitars. I found I could practice for an hour and went to a normal gauge and could practice for three hours. I have stayed with normal gauge ever since and use the same string on all of my guitars.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

If you are like me, you find that light guage strings on acoustic sound a little "thin".... .012" is about as light as I will play, the thinking is trying to get some volume without having to really hammer or resorting to plugging in.  I also thought that the lighter strings tended to catch on every little nick in the nails and tear them up.  I file daily with 600 grit and not only does it accelerate nail growth, but keeps the edges smooth for more even sound between individual fingers.  I also use all five fingers so there is no "pinky bridging".  Mostly good technique and practice will get you there.... oh yeah and don't bang on 'em so hard until you have it figured out. Healing takes time!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

12 (edited by Baldguitardude 2016-07-24 14:13:50)

I'm like you.  I like the richness and sustain of heavier strings.  I play 11s on my electrics just for string bending.   But if i didn't love doing that so much id be on 12 or 13s.

Edited for:
I'm also a physical player.  I strike hard with the rh while keeping the lh nice and relaxed.

use the pick when it hurts too bad go back and forth.

Baldguitardude wrote:

I'm like you.  I like the richness and sustain of heavier strings.  I play 11s on my electrics just for string bending.   But if i didn't love doing that so much id be on 12 or 13s.

I can relate !!  Actually if you are up for an "experiment of sorts"  try a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz 12s... flat wound, low tension electric strings.  They hold tune well, bend real nice, and on sale around $16/set... it's been awhile though as I bought 6 sets last time and am still running my last ones on my ST175 Epi..... so that would be like four years ago?   I gave away 2 sets and so that should be about right, they hold up pretty good. smile

Is the G wound? I've always had a hard time bending flatwound G strings. That sounds like a personal problem. lol

Baldguitardude wrote:

Is the G wound? I've always had a hard time bending flatwound G strings. That sounds like a personal problem. lol

Too funny ... it's easier if'n y'all don't git yer knickers in a knot! (snicker)

In answer to that G string... nope it's solid, and the E,A,D are all flat wound tight to the point that they are smoother IMO than coated strings. "Squeak free" as much as possible for something that is  not a  single strand.  They also make Phosphor Bronze Acoustics that are also flat wound (except the A for some unknown reason) but I  tossed a set of JS12s  on an acoustic anyway and they were fine.

I agree on the whole strings thing.  I don't do bends or anything fancy like that.  I'm very simple, but I agree, .11's are too thin sounding.  When I don't use a pick, I'm strumming mostly with the side of my thumb (fleshy part, not the nail) and the tips of my nails (the back, where the nail polish goes).  I just wanted to clarify that, I DO know what you're talking about! smile  Of course finger picking is primarily with the nail or finger tip - depending on the sound I'm looking for.  I think if my nails were short on my right hand, it would be far more difficult to play and NOT hit the tops of the fingers "near the cuticle" area.

I find cutting the nails opposed to filing them tends to allow the nails to grow stronger.  But, I don't have wonderful nails either.  I do prefer a fine pro file to an emery board (no sand paper for me).  Those tend to tear the end of the nail up and just cause cracking, splitting, flaking.  Fiberglass nail wraps are great!  Ridge filler is great!  ALSO great, prenatal vitamins.  Man my nails were so beautiful when I was taking those.  big_smile  The old wives tale about making nails stronger had to do with gelatin.  But I think that one's not true.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

yeah my wife's nails got crazy when she was taking those vitamins. I was jealous immediately. smile

My index finger on my right hand is pretty continuously bruised for that reason.  Any advice I give on the topic should be immediately ignored, so I won't give any. 

Good luck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Has it been infected?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Has it been infected?

It's inFUNKted.  Not infected.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

23 (edited by dino48 2016-07-27 00:51:06)

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Has it been infected?

I heard funked is going around. I  hear the cure is watching the Simsons on tv for awile, till it is cured. Eat donuts and drink plenty of beer .

I'm all for some funk.  I think I'll persevere.

dino48 wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Has it been infected?

I heard funked is going around. I  hear the cure is watching the Simsons on tv for awile, till it is cured. Eat donuts and drink plenty of beer .

Who would want a cure?