1 (edited by KevinRK 2016-08-04 20:27:31)

Topic: Full Circle

I finally did the last retirement community in the town near where we live. Did 10 shows mixing many genres of music simply strumming my 12 and singing. I can't begin to express the delight I get from playing for the old folks. So many are lacking in contact with the outside, and for them, hearing live music is a pure joy. They sing along to all songs they are familiar with - ranging from "Hey, Good Looking" to "The Old Rugged Cross". Even "Catch A Falling Star" lit up their eyes. I'm having a ball and with definitely be playing for all of them and for as many communities nearby as my years will allow!

Re: Full Circle

I am glad you are doing all that kevin seems it really is good for those folks

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I really like that repertoire, Kevin and God bless your entertainment!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Way to go, Kevin! I hope I'm in a home someday, where caring folk like yourself come along to brighten the day now and then.

It's on the bucket list.

I've got the PA.  Just need some talent.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wonderful!! That is a very worthwhile thing to do., I am sure you are making many people happy.

Roger

P.S. Zurf has plenty of talent, I have heard him perform live and recorded. I think he is fishing again but for compliments this time lol

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Kev - I'm curious how you set this up?  Did you just call around to retirement communities and ask if they'd like you to come in and play?  How did the conversation go?  I've thought a million times about doing this.  We have a lot of them around, and remember as a teen going into some with our girls choir as well as when I was a little one singing Christmas Carols with the Girl Scouts.  They were (almost) always so overjoyed to see us.  As I homeschool one of my children, I've thought a few times about possibly putting a few songs together with her and doing something like this.  It would be a nice community service type of thing for her (for her girls scouts badges), and a good learning experience and lesson on paying it forward as well as empathy.  Plus, as Roger can attest to, I think the people would fall in love with her and... I know to the older folks, a smiling child is something that is simply priceless.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Plus, as Roger can attest to, I think the people would fall in love with her and... I know to the older folks, a smiling child is something that is simply priceless.

If Katie had not already got a wonderful granddad I would apply for the job myself. She is a little charmer (must take after her mum big_smile)

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

9 (edited by KevinRK 2016-08-05 20:29:14)

mekidsmom wrote:

Kev - I'm curious how you set this up?  Did you just call around to retirement communities and ask if they'd like you to come in and play?  How did the conversation go?  I've thought a million times about doing this.  We have a lot of them around, and remember as a teen going into some with our girls choir as well as when I was a little one singing Christmas Carols with the Girl Scouts.  They were (almost) always so overjoyed to see us.  As I homeschool one of my children, I've thought a few times about possibly putting a few songs together with her and doing something like this.  It would be a nice community service type of thing for her (for her girls scouts badges), and a good learning experience and lesson on paying it forward as well as empathy.  Plus, as Roger can attest to, I think the people would fall in love with her and... I know to the older folks, a smiling child is something that is simply priceless.

Amy, all I did was get a little push from a friend of mine who does one man bad gigs (www.bensoneband.com). He told me its how he got his start. So, knowing I was about to retire soon, I stopped at most all of the retirement homes in the town where I worked and asked for the Activities Director. Most of them have one. I informed them that I would like to play for their residents and that the first time I played it would be free of charge. Like most all people would react, they were enthusiastic about getting some entertainment for their people and that "free of charge" fit their budgets rather nicely. Fortunately for me, they were trusting my abilities, probably something I may or may not have done in their situation. But I made sure that I was clean and well groomed before going to speak with them, which likely  went a long way to putting them in the trusting light. I told them all that if they liked my act and wanted me to return I would have to charge a small fee (and I've kept it as small as possible, remembering that I am doing this to feel like I'm making a contribution and not trying to find a quick and easy way to glean some open pockets!). Most have been very receptive to my performances and want me to return, agreeing to my fee requirements. Of course, the first couple were hard for me; jitters and trying to make things go smoothly and not like my practice sessions. But I've surprised myself. I can sing out the right melodies, strum the right chords, and smile real big for those good people. Good luck if you decide to play. And I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all, would get a real charge out of having you and your family bless them with your small part of the world!

Kevin you would really do well at vetreans Hospitals,they love entertainment

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i met ann about 37 years ago (best move i ever made!) her father was a very clever man, taught himself electrics and electronics as well as the trumpet and after he retired the organ. he played trumpet in a local band to put himself through college and by retirement was head of department at swansea university. so...we travelled all around south wales to find him a decent organ as his plan was to learn to play it then entertain at the old folks homes of which there are lots locally. unfortunately he passed on before realising his dream, which is a great shame.

in my time i've played at several OFHs one regularly, and when i asked the boss of one "why do you want me back so often they must be sick of the same old songs?" he replied; "don't worry, they wont remember what songs you've done anyway!" he was joking of course? they do seem to love what i do, mainly 60's with a few 50's thrown in for good measure, i try and do mostly up tempo and they dance and sing along. i find the crumblies have more energy than youngsters.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.