Topic: Spam

I think we're being overrun with it lately, my friends. Some gets stuck in the middle of a thread and some as the beginning.

I am not playing junior mod, please believe me, okay. but when I see it I report it.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Spam

Exactly what you should do Bill.

Reporting any violation automatically generates an e-mail to the Moderators of that section and puts an extra header at the top of the Forum page, that only Moderators can see, indicating there are new reports.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-08-10 22:15:50)

I have reported spam to a couple of Moderators and did not receive a reply. Used to be close to the originator of another site and we had a rule that new members could not post for the first 10 days. Most who join just to leave spam would not do it if had to wait 10  days after joining. They would just go join somewhere else to leave the spam they seem to like doing.  Anyway it solved the  spam problem, and those who join for the right reason understood why they had to wait to post. It does not stop them from reading posts and from normal searches for songs.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Classical Guitar wrote:

I have reported spam to a couple of Moderators and did not receive a reply.

If you reported spam by writing to a Moderator, the chances are it would have been dealt with by the time they received the message. If you use the 'Report' tag at the bottom right of the post then the post is flagged for all Moderators to see, then any one of us can ban the scumbag to prevent him posting any more garbage, but it has to wait for the section Moderator to be on line to remove the message. We try to have section Moderators in different time zones to get the best coverage but all of us are volunteers and we do have other commitments, so we cannot have 24/7 coverage.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-08-11 08:18:19)

Roger Guppy wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:

I have reported spam to a couple of Moderators and did not receive a reply.

If you reported spam by writing to a Moderator, the chances are it would have been dealt with by the time they received the message. If you use the 'Report' tag at the bottom right of the post then the post is flagged for all Moderators to see, then any one of us can ban the scumbag to prevent him posting any more garbage, but it has to wait for the section Moderator to be on line to remove the message. We try to have section Moderators in different time zones to get the best coverage but all of us are volunteers and we do have other commitments, so we cannot have 24/7 coverage.

Roger

Thank you very much for the explanation and for the service you provide. I know how hard all of you must work and that is why it is a great guitar site. And just to mention it there is more spam today on Guitars and Accessories.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Just took care of that CG.   smile

yes i like your suggestion to make spammers  or new members wait 10 days before posting, what kills that idea is that we sometimes get sneaky spammers that join, find old posts and put something innocuous as a reply, then don't return for a few weeks to add their spam! i wonder if the monty python guys would  have named their song corned beef or something if they'd known?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Or we could just disable the posting of links until one hits x number of posts. I would love to use my time moderating to help newbs post links. smile