Topic: Olympic Opening Ceremony

I  am watching the Olympic opening ceremony on TV. What has amazed me is how many countries who are attending, are ones I know nothing about. Up until now I thought I new more about geography than I did. With my 95 year old mother's birth country Fiji in the Rugby 7s I will be hoping for either Fiji or New Zealand to get a gold in that competition. If Fiji gets a gold they will have a national day of to celebrate. With the fast pace of 7s rugby I think there will be a few suprise wins.
I hope Rio gets a good return for 20 Billion it has cost them to put these games on so far.

Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Wishing you luck in the Rugby competition, my "Kiwi Friend".  smile

All the best to you and your lovely Maree from your friends here over the waves!

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Thank you Bill you make my day a good one.

Won't be watching the Olympics for the first time in years (sadly). We cut the cable a few months ago, and can't watch live sports without subscribing to a streaming service especially for them ... crazy expensive. I hope the media doesn't continue to try and stir up controversy and dirt about isolated incidents, and things that aren't up to their "high standards" (*ahem*). The vast majority of the athletes have worked very hard to get there, and deserve the attention far more.

I watched the womens volleyball this morning they need too be at the beach in Bikines!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Here in NZ I have been watching the Olympics on a free to air channel as I dont have pay channels. Watching NZ Womans Football team playing Columbia one nill to NZ at moment. I suppose Bill will be following the cyclists with interest. Maybe one day we will have guitar picking as sport at the Olympics.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Maybe one day we will have guitar picking as sport at the Olympics.

Imagine the comentary and the media allegations of doping.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

i missed the opening ceremony and most of saturdays events. though there was a 60 inch TV screen in front of me last night and i tried to concentrate on performing whilst watching the women's rugby. the GB team did so very well, congrats to them. i saw also the pile-ups on the cycling road race, no sound so i don't know how or why. as for TV coverage; it seems the BBC have given over all their channels to the olympics, Ann is so upset that she's missing a lot of her favourite soaps!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

We were all a bit busy outside here over the weekend. Since then, we've turned the TV on in the evening - just over the air, no cable here.  It seems every night it's just gymnastics and swimming.  That's alright with me though, I enjoy watching those two sports. Of course, the USA has some amazing gymnasts and swimmers too - Seriously, Phelps has 20 gold medals - so I have no doubt the free channels are only playing the best of the best that they think most Americans want to see.  You know - just show the winners.  :eyeroll: At least it's positive.  That's a whole lot better than the usual media coverage of doping allegations, and a nice break from the political mudslinging and ridiculousness.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Michael Phelps what an amazing swimmer the whole world is in awe of his ability in the water. My mother's country of Fiji is celebrating with people dancing in the streets after they won their first ever medal a gold  in the rugby 7s. It is nice to see good competion between Nations hitting the news for a change. Our free to air  channel mainly lets us see
the  sports at the Olympics that New Zealand competing in. Those here with sky can watch much more. I guess with all the going's on around the next Presidential election over in the USA , Americans will be enjoying having something else to think about.

That was great smile I love that ceremonies...