Topic: A Capo that Really Works for a 12-String?

Does anyone really know of such a thing? I've tried several types recommended by several different music stores, and have yet to find one that doesn't leave at least one string buzzing.

Recommendations?

Re: A Capo that Really Works for a 12-String?

I have a Keyser capo I use on my Taylor 12 string and I have No issues with buzzing. I don't go higher than the 3rd fret. My friend uses a Shub capo on his Martin 12 string he started getting some buzzing once he got the neck adjusted the buzzing went away.  I hope you can resolve your problem.

Joe

My G7 seems to work pretty well, but you've got to give it a good squeeze once it's on in order for it to do it's best.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've got one of these also. Been using it since July this year both at home and 2-3 times a week on gigs. Hasn't failed me yet. You do have to take care not a slide it on rather than "place it".  If care is taken to let the bar down straight onto the strings, retuning isn't necessary. During an application that is quick with no attention given, often the high outside e-string will get caught by the tip of the capo surface and won't be completely depressed as are the rest. Also, not letting the bar down gently onto all strings at the same time can stretch any of the upper 4 (e & B) and/or the lower 4 ( E  & A) - and cause tuning nightmares. Just use patience and don't get in a hurry. This capo is the easiest one to apply out of all I have used during my lifetime.

Tyson7 wrote:

I have a Keyser capo I use on my Taylor 12 string and I have No issues with buzzing. I don't go higher than the 3rd fret. My friend uses a Shub capo on his Martin 12 string he started getting some buzzing once he got the neck adjusted the buzzing went away.  I hope you can resolve your problem.

Joe

G 7th although you have to screw it down pretty tight, which means it takes time and a lot of effort to release it.

Thick as two short planks

i have found that using two capos  one in each direction on the same fret works

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Dang now thats a sweet idea. dbl clip it.  only problem for me is i still hate how it gets in my way! LOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

OK I am anal and I normally will not use a capo unless it is a song like 'House of the Rising Sun' or 'Wonderwall' which only sound right with certain chord shapes and there is no option other than to use one. On the occasions that I have had to use one I have used the Dunlop capo on both of my 12ers without any problems.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

9 (edited by john bange 2016-10-12 15:10:27)

I use a Thalia.  When I got it, it worked just a little bit better than my G7th. 
For those who are unaware of Thalia capos, they offer different radius pads for different guitar brands.  My Martin uses a 16" pad.  Thalia is aware of the problem and has been working with some of us 12 string users and first, they added an extra high pad kit.  I was sent one of these and it vastly improved performance but I still needed to squeeze the capo to assist the tension for a clean tone.
This info led to a heavier spring capo.  When I received the capo with the heavier spring, I found I had the perfect 12 string capo.
Like some of the others who have responded to this thread, I do not capo a lot, choosing to just play in a different key but there are some songs that need a certain chord, etc.
Because of the correct radius for the specific guitar, increasing the tension does not cause the guitar to sharpen up like other capos do.
I urge anyone who uses a capo on his 12 string to try it but specify 12 string when you order.  They are really on to something.
I realize, everyone has their favorite capo and I have owned most every brand for my 12 string over the years.  I could always make them work but, it took a lot if fiddling.  I set the Thalia and forget it.  It is so easy.  They are not cheap but they are worth it.  I have 2 and I paid full pop for them.  I'm not affiliated in any way.

Kerry Char baritone uke, Kinnard baritone uke, Kelali baritone uke, Kamaka baritone uke
Burke baritone uke, Martin B51 baritone uke, Primrose baritone uke,
Pono Bn-3-4 tenor guitar, Pono Bn8-1 8string tenor guitar, Republic Hwy49 tenor resonator guitar
Hoyt/Ode custom model33-19t  tenor banjo, Hoyt custom 10"maple baritone banjolele

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-30 14:13:30)

Thanks for the help, folks. I finally picked up a G7th Capo on Monday, and am glad for the recommendations. Although not cheap ($50) it really does work better than the Dunlop Trigger I was using, especially on the 12-string. Thanks again!

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/images/g/GZQAAOSwD2pXFmvh/s-l225.jpg