Topic: Your Opinion please?

Gidday all
I`d like your opinion on the following.
In NZ the big song writing awards have just been presented. It`s called the APRA Silver scroll award.
Any song commercially released in the previous yr is elegable.
i guess most similar comps work the same way.
I`ve often listened to all the final 10.
My question is.
Are they judged on the actual song  music/lyrics
or is the performance
or the arrangement
or all these things together  eg the final record.
the last point would be my guess,but if i`m right  surely it`s not truly a song comp.
your thoughts please

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Your Opinion please?

Easy your soundcloud did not work.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dino
i deleted the latest track,as it was rubbish

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-10-09 10:52:12)

First off, I don't know how your NZ competition works specifically.

I can say that having watched some of the various "talent shows" on TV, and seeing who the winners are, it seems that the conviction of the performer in their presentation is a key factor. Musical talent or song-writing ability don't always win. I doubt that my Top 10 favorite guitarists would ever win one of these contests, even though they could mop the floor with most of the winners.

'Nuff said.

I don't know how song-writing constest of "released" songs work.  I do know of the songs that win the Country Music Awards, Dirty Ed's songs are consistently better.  Songs that are good, and songs that are popular probably shouldn't be confused.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i find that every ear hears songs differently, it all depends on the taste of the judge. if you get a panel of kids then kiddie music will take it over a talented (mature) meaningful song. record executives will plump for their own produce alternatively what they are trying to push onto the public as the next "big thing"
having heard simon cowel fawning over a group (this week) on x factor who's harmonies were very suspect to my ears, proves that these comps are all fixed and not worth the viewing time. that's my 6 pennorth

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

thanks guys
This award is judged by all professional writers in NZ
all members of Apra  theres hundreds of voters.
i just wonder does a great arrangement & a good song
beat a great song & simple arrangement.
The winners i`ve heard are great records but are they the best songs?

In all honesty I can't say I've heard any music from NZ though I must have. One of the best songs I've ever heard is Friday on my mind by......yes the Easybeats so I'm not in a position to judge the judges. All I can say is they'll probably go with the fashion at the time. I've had lots of letters from record companies saying "your songs don't reflect the times"  try again, what they mean is... don't bother.
If you're asking should you enter the comp then yes your songs have great merit and you have your own niche. Bare knuckle songs, so artistes looking for songs can put their own stamp on the song. Put them out there cos they won't get heard sitting on a pile in the corner.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf wrote:

I don't know how song-writing constest of "released" songs work.  I do know of the songs that win the Country Music Awards, Dirty Ed's songs are consistently better.  Songs that are good, and songs that are popular probably shouldn't be confused.

Wow! Thanks for the kind words Zurf.  Guess I owe ya some bourbon the next time we meet.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the kind words Zurf.  Guess I owe ya some bourbon the next time we meet.

DE

You owe me nothing, but I'll accept the bourbon.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude