Topic: Just A Drummer's Joke......

How do you keep your bass player and drummer in time. . . .
......shoot the drummer. . .

Rimshot/Cymbal Crash. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Just A Drummer's Joke......

i bought my first bass guitar to play in a band that had no bassist. i learnt the hard way to keep time with the bass drum, if i went off on one (i'd been a lead guitar before) he used to rap me across the knuckles with a drum stick between beats and shout at me later; "don't just play, watch and listen too"....school of hard knocks?

here's a fact; how many drummers do you need to carry the PA into a gig? answer; none, they will only carry the drum kit. because it takes longer to set the kit up? if only i had a pound for every time i've heard that one.......

here's another fact; the drums always have to go on top in the van as the amps would crush them, so they're the first out and everyone else carries them into the venue. now read the above fact again.

sorry Bill, i'm sure you were the exception to the rule.  lol

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

My friend Phill! See too little of you these days, and I am always afraid I might miss one of your hits!  Please don't DEPRIVE us, and if I did miss one, and/or a comment, please let me know, Sir.

And yeah, I was always the guy who showed up first (usually at 4 pm) to set up and test my drums against the room's acoustics.

I wish I could say more about the times I got to trade off with the rhythm guitarist, but I don't have that tape anymore. The song I played on was this one, if it matters......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZNL7QVJjE

Yeah, it was a "silent"  rhythm and no strings, but it worked.

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

You played on stand by me? I'm so impressed. I still do this in my set, always goes down well. Next time I do it I'll be thinking of you, my very dear friend.

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-10-13 04:23:22)

Oh no!!!!!! I unintentionally misled you, Phill and I AM sorry. What I meant to say was  I traded off with the rhythm guitarist when the band I was in at the time played the cover of the Ben E. King song "Stand By Me", not that I was on King's single.

I mentioned the tape that my band and I had made that had me playing rhythm guitar and the rhythm guy played that little "scratch-sounding' thing in between  the notes and words (we used two wooden blocks covered in sand paper for that: 'When the night - scratch.... has come....- scratch"..... Unfortunately, that tape of me with my band got lost during the move and all that's left of us playing is that 3-part thing on YouTube.

I apologize again for the way I wrote that whole post, my friend. This is what I meant in another post of mine I titled "A Minor Change......". If I had proof-read that whole thing, I would have noticed right away.

But no, my friend, I wish I had played on that great song, but that was Gary Chester on drums.

Thanks for understanding and please know that I would never intentionally mislead you or any of my other friends here.

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

not to worry Bill, but i was basking in your reflected glory there for a while. i will still think of you though when i sing it next.

nb, when i recorded the backing track i used a sound from a casio keyboard, not quite as romantic is it?