1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-10-22 21:10:45)

Topic: D'Addario Nickel-Bronze Acoustic Strings

Yep ... you read it right. Nickel on an acoustic? So what else do we do when we want to embark on a cheap experiment, than trying new strings out? My first thought about these was the nickel would work really well with a magnetic sound-hole pickup, but since I don't have a guitar with that, time to move on. It's been a l-o-n-g time since anyone tried anything different with acoustic strings, so the curiosity was also piqued.

First thing I noticed was the silver color, which looks weird on an acoustic in place of 80/20's (copper color) or Phosphor/Bronze (gold color). What I was after was a little sharper, brighter sound on my old Norman ST30 (solid Red Spruce top, solid Mahogany back & sides), which is a bit too "boomy" when playing full chords, and not just picking. D'Addario also claims more harmonic overtones and better tuning stability with these, so also worth a shot.

Right on all counts. The beautiful big voice of my guitar is still there, but the sound is brighter and clearer and even a bit louder. Once I got them broke-in, I played through a few songs with a lot of bending / hammering / pulling, etc., and they stayed almost perfectly in tune. The voice is not as "brassy" sounding as other strings (for better or worse) and makes a nice alternative to the more familiar acoustic tone.

I'll give 'em top marks, and it wouldn't hurt someone else to give them a try.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/media/extendware/ewimageopt/media/inline/95/b/daddario-nickel-bronze-wound-nb1253-acoustic-strings-12-53-317.jpg

Re: D'Addario Nickel-Bronze Acoustic Strings

Martin made monel (alloy made of about 67% nickel) strings up until the 70's.  About 3 years ago they re-introduced monel/nickel  in their "Retro" strings.  I've been using them on some of my acoustics for about a year and a half.  They are also silver colored and have less of a "brassy/ringing" sound which appeals to me.  I haven't tried D'addario's version but will keep them in mind the next time I order strings.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hi both. Are you using a heavy or light gauge string? I've been using Martin's 11 or12 gauge but they don't seem to hold their tone for long. I've been thinking about trying a lighter gauge, maybe a 10. What do you think?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

Hi both. Are you using a heavy or light gauge string? I've been using Martin's 11 or12 gauge but they don't seem to hold their tone for long. I've been thinking about trying a lighter gauge, maybe a 10. What do you think?

I tried ten's on my taylor had take them off not enough tension on the neck and they buzzed on the frets

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I have these strings - light gauge -   on my Martin HD35 and I love the sound..

Phill Williams wrote:

My personal preference is 12's on an acoustic, and 10's on an electric. Anything lighter on an acoustic just sounds a bit too thin (to my ears, anyway). Switching down to a lighter string may also create some fret buzz, especially if the guitar is setup for 12's. The thinner strings may sit lower in the nut, and there can be buzz at the first few frets because of it.