Topic: Outdoor Generators?

Could any of my fellow chordies help me out? I'm looking forward to next year's good weather and want to work in some outdoor venues for my 12-string acoustic/electric show. I've hear that some gas-powered generators can actually harm solid state amps. Supposedly "clean" A/C gas-powered generators aren't easy to select, or afford! I've got a Marshall AS100D Soloist amp and would like some recommendations for powering up my act in parks, or any other outdoor venues. I'd appreciate some direction with this. Thanks.

Re: Outdoor Generators?

It would most likely be a subject for a guitar store crew.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Howdy Kevin, well if I have this right, the input power rating of that amp is something like 280 Watts @ 120Vac, 60Hz.  Bearing in mind that you want that to be pretty clean power without too many "ripples" and a constant frequency, I'd be looking at something in the 1000 Watt variety preferably one of the "Inverter" types that will electronically control the voltage and Hz regardless of RPM.  Something like one of the Honda 1000i variety.  Yeah they run a bit high in cost but are fairly quiet and frugal on the fuel side and that may be a consideration if you need a couple of hours of run-time and don't want to have it a long run of extension cord away.

Another option would be a similar sized Solid State Inverter and a battery of good size which is another heavy bit of kit to handtruck around, but at least totally silent. Once again you want a true RMS Inverter.... and they don't come cheap either.  Inverters typically eat 10X the output in amps in the way of battery power (like 25-30 amps in your case for just the Marshall) so you'd need a BIG capacity battery (serious weight).  For the $$ I'd sure be looking at the generator, and a good heavy power cord.  We could run our little Honda "suitcase" for something like 5 hours well loaded on a couple quarts of pump gas, and it weighed about the same as your amp.  Either way, I'd also feed it through a good surge protector just for the additional peace of mind and additional overload protection.

Just a (well educated) $0.02 worth...
-Doug-

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Howdy Kevin, well if I have this right, the input power rating of that amp is something like 280 Watts @ 120Vac, 60Hz.  Bearing in mind that you want that to be pretty clean power without too many "ripples" and a constant frequency, I'd be looking at something in the 1000 Watt variety preferably one of the "Inverter" types that will electronically control the voltage and Hz regardless of RPM.  Something like one of the Honda 1000i variety.  Yeah they run a bit high in cost but are fairly quiet and frugal on the fuel side and that may be a consideration if you need a couple of hours of run-time and don't want to have it a long run of extension cord away.

Another option would be a similar sized Solid State Inverter and a battery of good size which is another heavy bit of kit to handtruck around, but at least totally silent. Once again you want a true RMS Inverter.... and they don't come cheap either.  Inverters typically eat 10X the output in amps in the way of battery power (like 25-30 amps in your case for just the Marshall) so you'd need a BIG capacity battery (serious weight).  For the $$ I'd sure be looking at the generator, and a good heavy power cord.  We could run our little Honda "suitcase" for something like 5 hours well loaded on a couple quarts of pump gas, and it weighed about the same as your amp.  Either way, I'd also feed it through a good surge protector just for the additional peace of mind and additional overload protection.

Just a (well educated) $0.02 worth...
-Doug-

Thanks ever so much, Doug. We get some tough winters here in Nebraska, too, so it's likely that music won't be the only use for a generator.

Sounds like he is giving some good advice, Kevin. You might want too ask Grai1 as he plays a lot of outdoor gigs. I would also get a Honda generator and a Top notch!! surge Procter.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Just another thing.... if you are also considering something for "standby power" (for those Winter power outages), a 1000W generator won't get you much for keeping your house functional.  A few lights, the circulating fan on the woodstove, and maybe a low power microwave.  It ain't enough to keep the well pump running, or the heat pump/furnace. Those kinds of loads will need something 4KW or bigger, and not something convenient to lug around.  We would spend 5 months of the year out in the Arizona desert "camping", and our support trailer had a 5KW Inverter with 2 4D AGM Batteries, 1000W of Solar on the roof, AND a 5KW gasoline generator.... the little Honda was mostly just for running the microwave once in awhile, brewing that morning pot of coffee, and light loads for those times when we were using more than the Solar was providing during the day.  The big generator would use about .9 gallons an hour under moderate load (lights, battery charging, refrigeration etc.) and it was over 20 miles round trip off-road to the nearest fuel station!  You can only carry so many fuel cans on a quad y'know. wink

Never saw any reply as to what the outcome of this was, I looked into a generator for back up power, You can saw what you want but the 2 big ones from Harbor freight get really reliable ratings and one guy , if you are to believe the long write up he did, said he is an engineer and tested the power coming out of the one he had and said it stays pretty clean.  Harbor Freight stuff is a good deal if you do your research on the reviews and listen to the ones that seem to repeat (like "Use of STA-BIL in the gas is a must if not running very often" "get the wheel kit" and "starts great on 1st or second pull, but battery would be nice too")
They can power houses pretty good with the pigtail to the main, and you cant beat the cost of them either. look for the sales.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

You are right Scott, the 8750 from HF is adequate for back-up power for your house, and got a good review from Consumer Reports.  The price isn't too bad either.  One thing to keep in mind though, is that you shouldn't just plug into your breaker box without doing a couple of things first.  The MOST important of which is to disconnect from your power company supply!  You just might be driving back into the mains, and frying that poor fellow up on the pole trying to repair the very thing that caused your lights to go out!  A high quality transfer switch would do in those circumstances, but you will have to buy the equipment and installation, and have it inspected etc.... that ain't so cheap!  Wheels and electric start are well worth the $$.

The other thing is to decide what circuits you can do without, and turn the breakers off to those.  Disconnect the main for the reason noted above, and only then make your connections to the generator and recheck all the steps once more BEFORE starting your powerplant!  NEVER fuel up with the thing connected to load, and especially while running!

In my former life (before retirement), I was a State Building Inspector, and saw some pretty scary stuff out there.... just sayin' , not all the stuff that CAN be done, should be.  If you do, do it right and don't put yourself or others at risk.  BTW, I've done a lot with "alternative energy" , and "off-grid" systems as well. So you can contact me for advise if you want.

Most   of  the  outdoor gigs  we  do   have  power  available  ,but  I  often use   Roland  cubes  for  "street" work, However  last  week  end  at  the  Lancaster festival  I  did  a  street  corner gig and the  organisers  had  rigged  up   a  bike powered  generator to charge car  battery's which  powered  a small  PA. Through  out  the  4hrs we  were  there  we had  a  team of  volunteers  pedalling in relay .The  sound  was  fantastic .

Grah1 wrote:

Most   of  the  outdoor gigs  we  do   have  power  available  ,but  I  often use   Roland  cubes  for  "street" work, However  last  week  end  at  the  Lancaster festival  I  did  a  street  corner gig and the  organisers  had  rigged  up   a  bike powered  generator to charge car  battery's which  powered  a small  PA. Through  out  the  4hrs we  were  there  we had  a  team of  volunteers  pedalling in relay .The  sound  was  fantastic .

Good thinking  and it brought my imagination awake!