Topic: Guitars & Effects of Temperature

I'm setting up a small area in our downstairs family room for practice.  It's basically unheated but never goes below 55 degrees, even in winter.  In the summer it will get up to 72 degrees.  If we spend any time down there in the winter we have auxiliary heat sources that will get the temp into the mid 60s.  My question is would it be safe to leave my guitars (6) down there year round?

2 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-10-28 11:09:20)

Re: Guitars & Effects of Temperature

What type guitars do you have?  Do you store them in cases?

The short answer is with the temperature differences it could affect your strings as well as your guitars.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I'd be more worried about humidity than temperature within those ranges.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Agree w zurf.  What part of country are you in?

As the others have said ...

Humidity is a bigger concern, especially with acoustic guitars. The temp changes may simply require you to re-tune before you play each time, which is a good habit anyway. But damp, cooler air is heavier, and will typically settle in basements that aren't heated. Over time, serious, permanent damage can be done to an acoustic instrument made of wood (guitar, mandolin, violin, piano, etc.).

By the way ... welcome to Chordie!

In the beginning, Paul McCartney's Höfner bass had no truss rod and the poor guy was constantly tuning it. The truss rod is the saving grace of many a guitar/guitarist. Just my opinion> smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

In the beginning, Paul McCartney's Höfner bass had no truss rod and the poor guy was constantly tuning it. The truss rod is the saving grace of many a guitar/guitarist. Just my opinion> smile

Bill

Bill I agree with steel string guitars. With classical guitars I have never owned one that had a truss rod.

There are brands of classical guitars that have truss rods and Cordoba and some La Patrie put truss rods. From what I had read these are uni-directional.

Of course. I tend to think in order to maintain that full sound, your guitars must be protected from humidity and temperature. Am I right?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-10-30 00:57:40)

Gitarzan! ("and his jungle band! They're all you can stand! Give 'em a hand!" ). You must be a fan of Ray Stevens, as am I! He's from a neighboring city to mine called Tallapoosa, and I have enjoyed his comedic and serious ("Everybody's Beautiful") music for many of my long years. I welcome you to our crew of musicians! Some of us are terrific musicians and writers!

All the best, stick around and "teach us something!"

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Folks, thanks for all the input.  We're in SW Virginia near Smith Mountain Lake.  Last winter I charted the humidity in the family room and it ranged from 35% to 50%.  If the temp range is not an issue, I'm thinking I'm probably OK.  I might end up just leaving my practice guitar (Fender Telecaster) down there in its case and leave the others upstairs where things are more balanced.  Also, I've been on Chordie for years but have been rather bad about logging in the last 2 years or so what with a move and some medical issues.  What is new to me are the various levels pf membership (?).  In any case, thanks again.  Good hearing from all of you.

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-11-01 16:25:52)

Heh-heh....... regarding the various levels of membership: Roger will explain those to ya', but as far as mine goes, it's a joke name. I made up the name "Musicator" and so he and the others decided to hang that moniker on me. One of my good friends Mojo01 (I call him Mo' for short), picked up his membership because I believe he makes pickles and sells 'em in a jar, but my memory fails me these days, so I'm not sure about that one. The other thing is the more you post, I believe, the higher your level of membership goes.

Anyway, glad you figured out your humidity problem and will join us here as much as possible.

By the way, do you know the meaning of "Relative Humidity"?

That's when you ask your cousin for a loan and he pees on ya. smile

Say hello to "Jane and the Monkey" for me and have a good rest of the week! wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill's got it right!  Everyone starts out a Junior Member, and as you post, advance to Senior and on to Honoured.  The "unusual titles" are awarded for some particularly special trait or service (much like a "Knighthood") decreed by the higher echelon and ratified by the board of Moderators (usually) .

I think Mojo got his in appreciation for a poem (a particularly good poem) about pickles, which is not any easy thing to rhyme to.... in reference to the "imaginary pickles" which serve as the "wages" of the folks who give freely of their time to serve as Moderators and Administrators of "Chordie-Land".  "The Chick Moderator" chose her own, for becoming our first Moderator of the "Fairer Gender" and a valuable addition to the team!

There are others as well who you will get to know as you wander around, and each has a little story surrounding their titles.  Chordie is a community of people from all over the globe who share a common love of Music, friendship, and mutual respect, and as I have often said "Making the World a better place one note at a time".

Welcome!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

saratim wrote:

I It's fun to me and each time I play them hooked up, I get a little better and I learn something new.

Welcome to Chordie. Nice first post. If you are having fun and getting better you are well on your way.

Classical Guitar wrote:
saratim wrote:

I It's fun to me and each time I play them hooked up, I get a little better and I learn something new.

Welcome to Chordie. Nice first post. If you are having fun and getting better you are well on your way.

Yup, well I had to send him on his way..... copied one of TIGLJK's posts word for word and injected a Spam link in the middle of it.

Needless to say the "Spam Hammer" fell fairly quickly !!

Doug_Smith wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:
saratim wrote:

Yup, well I had to send him on his way..... copied one of TIGLJK's posts word for word and injected a Spam link in the middle of it.

Needless to say the "Spam Hammer" fell fairly quickly !!

I apologize  that I did not catch it.

No Worries Mate!    I missed it the first three times I read it, until the old memory bank lit up with "that sounds really familiar" and I took time to really read it. LOL