Topic: windows 10 upgrade assistant

anybody know anything about this update? it tried to update my PC a few months back, got as far as 84% and froze so I uninstalled it. so it tried again this week and got to 84% and froze again, taking hours to do nothing basically, so when it tried again tonight I just said no and uninstalled again....so does any one of you smarter people have any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: windows 10 upgrade assistant

The last upgrade this month was an easy fast install, but the one before (or before that, I can't remember) was a major BIOS upgrade, which is a complete replacement of the system. I couldn't get it to take either so I contacted Microsoft through chat and allowed them to make the change remotely. I don't often turn my computer over to them or anyone else, but have had to on occasion, once to them and a couple times to my local internet provider who also services my security. Microsoft did the install and when they ran into the same problem, I watched them as they cursored through some of my control panel settings and other system files that were in the then current BIOS system. Quite fascinating to watch, though was accomplished so quickly that I couldn't nor wouldn't attempt to mimic their steps. Within about 15 minutes they had the new system BIOS installed and politely asked me, through chat, if I had any more questions or issues. I told them no and we terminated the chat. A lot of people are leery, as I, of this procedure. It is advisable to back up all of your programs and files before you contact them. The BIOS install IS critical to future concerns with programs and file manipulation if you keep your programs up to date. But it's up to you. I just don't feel like laying out money for program investment, when I know that those who create the programs, if they plan on staying current with operating systems, want to remain viable. Hope this helped.

Phill Williams wrote:

anybody know anything about this update? it tried to update my PC a few months back, got as far as 84% and froze so I uninstalled it. so it tried again this week and got to 84% and froze again, taking hours to do nothing basically, so when it tried again tonight I just said no and uninstalled again....so does any one of you smarter people have any suggestions?

thanks in advance

The anniversary upgrade is a bit problematic. One lap top went through fine overnight but the other I had a similar problem sticking at 92%. I did as you did and uninstalled a couple of times but eventually I bit the bullet and just left it running. In the end it went through but it took in the order of 24 hours. All I can suggest is patience.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-04 09:04:42)

I stayed with 8.1 on my laptop, which has worked fine. Sorry to hear Windows 10 has been problematic for y'all. I'm one of those old guys who lives by the mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." so stayed put with the older version. My wife has been using a MacBook for several years without a single issue, and I suspect I'll go that way when this 3-year-old DELL needs to be replaced.

Yep looks like I'll have to the bullet for the present and switch to Mac when my 4 year old passes it's sell by date! It actually crashed last night which is why I uninstalled W10 update. The only question now is...is it worth the wait Rog?

Quite frankly I do not see any difference from the earlier 10, except it may be a little more stable. I was a big XP fan and I have liked none none of the later operating systems since but I am quite fond of 10. However I would not have a Mac if you paid me.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Windows/edge/Microsoft  they all leave  a lot too be desired everone I know has a bad story on them. I do like Mac but the price is out of my payscale.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

sounds like mac is a bit marmite; you either love it or hate it, me; i'm just a lawn mower, you can tell me by the way i walk, genesis

I've only done new installs on Win10 (being a Mac guy) but it's been rock solid for me.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Just this weekend changed back to Windows (10) and all upgraded/updated etc.  Now into getting used to the environment again after a hiatus of almost 3 years using Linux.  A few rough spots concerning bandwidth load on my network (mostly because of that "always connected cloud" stuff) but other than that and a couple of small driver issues..... so far so good.

My major beef is the "need" to be connected in order for things to "work", so I can "work".  It was so nice to wander out on the veranda and take care of stuff without dropping the link ending the session.  I might actually have to consider "real" paper books for my recreational reading needs!  Do they still make those??

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yes I believe they do still produce books with paper! But look how many trees the Kindle and others have saved? I tend to read my Kindle every night before going to sleep, just think I have a hundred books in my hand and it weighs less than a banana!

Going back to W10 I'm happy with the original download, so I may just stick with that. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have 10, but i keep getting messages that it wont upgrade. maybe ill just do the contact Microsoft deal also, ill just unhook my external so they dont see my "questionable " files   NO NOT THAT,,, movies and music I may or may not have rights too lolol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have a newer computer here and a few older computers.  The older computers don't run Windows 10 very well.  I think they were quicker with the older versions of Win. installed on them.  However, I utilize the HECK out of the parental controls on those two computers and I don't personally use them often.  So, I'm ok with it.  Every time there's a big update (like this one) for my newer computer, a few of my drivers get weird - sometimes Windows rolls them back!  So, I often have to reinstall drivers that I've already installed (we're talking for my built in touch pad on the laptop), OR I have to restart and update a few times to let the manufacturer's update do it's thing and re-update those drivers.  It's a pain in the rear end. 

I do believe you can go to Window's site and download a full version of the updated edition - burn it to a disk - and manually install it.  This may help your situation.  Alternately, you may want to find out where Windows saved the download on your computer, remove it, and start over.  It sounds like you might have a corrupt file already downloaded with the update or something of that sort.

Despite my issues with device drivers, you may want to check that all your device drivers are up to date already before trying to run the Win update again.  The easiest way to do this is usually by going to the manufacturers website and searching for your device model number there.  There's a few other ways as well.  Sadly, this kind of update is not always as easy to get completed as you think it should be.  If you aren't sure where to start, let me know what you're working with and I can possibly help steer you in the right direction.  Here, email, where ever you have my contact info works.  wink 

Scott - I'm happy to take over your computer virtually and clean up anything that shouldn't be there, check your settings, etc... if you have any concerns about things that shouldn't be there and who might see them.  Though... it's certainly easy to simply unplug an external hard drive.  big_smile  ha ha!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Here's an update;

Last night the update popped up again so I thought I'd let it run. 15 hours later it was still I think? Running. It had been stuck on 91% for a good 4 hours when I lost it and switched off. When I switched back on my PC went into a cycle of start up screen going into the windows logo saying something like attempting to return to previous version, it flashes up and off so fast I don't get time to read it before it switches off then returns to the start of the cycle. Can I sue Microsoft?

Any help with how I can get out of this cycle would be a god send

Phill

Phill you should try too contact micrsoft and tell them. I do not think you can sue as when you get things from them you sign and end  user agreement that something may happen and they can not be held responsible. You should ask how some of the other members got too there customer service,I hope that will help some.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I spoke to a techie today who laughed and told me my symptoms...smart ass! So it's going into his shop tomorrow as he says it's an easy fix...double smartass, and it'll cost between £25&£45 the other alternative is a new PC which will cost a lot more. I should have grabbed it quick when the wife suggested it, but I'm too honest, stupid but honest.

thanks for all the help.

Phill

That's not too bad of a price Phill!  It's tricky to help from way over here without seeing it.  I'm sure it will be fairly easy for someone able to see everything that's going on though - and know what they're doing and looking for.  smile 

A new computer's not a terrible idea though, still... lol

18 (edited by Phill Williams 2016-11-18 21:47:43)

Hi Amy, yes I'd love a new PC basically cos I love new stuff anything from computers to guitars PA's TV's anything, I'm just a wastrel....ha, ha.

anyway, update;

took my PC in Wednesday and the techie worked on it all day and finally phoned to say all he could do was format the HDD and re-install windows 10 from a disc, which meant I'd lose all my programmes but he could save my songs and music and photos*, I had to say OK no other choice. so I spent yesterday (Thursday) reinstalling my essential programmes but it seems all my self penned songs, must be between 50 and 100, have all gone or at least hiding somewhere I haven't looked yet, that's not a problem as I have them all on CD or thumb drive. All my written work survives and my PC runs. Such a relief. Thanks for all your suggestions and help and concern.

Phill

Edited to add *photos 1000's of photos at

I'm glad to hear he was able to save your files - and you had a bunch backed up!  PHEW!

Any time I've had a HDD related issue, I've replaced the entire drive first to get the computer back up - then save the HDD to plug it in externally and recover everything.  That's always another option, however... those techies want to charge you up the bum for doing this.  It's actually not too difficult, but it's one of those things the average person is scared to do so they CAN charge a lot for it.  wink

Anyhow - it sounds like you're in good shape, so that's GREAT!  Hopefully his fee didn't go up too high with the extra work he had to do.

hi amy, no just £45 that he said it would cost, so not too bad, whats that about $30-$40 just mourning the loss of all those songs, still got them on thumb and cd. thanks for caring.

Just a last post to finish this thread off;

As you may have read above i had a major crash and had to have my HDD formatted then Win 10 re-installed. MS had tried to down load the anniversary update on a couple of occasions but always got stuck at 84% to 91% and took 25 hours to get there before giving in!

Anyway, I switched on tonight to find that Win 10 had began down loading again so I thought OK let it run see what happens. 40 minutes later it had completed the down load and we are running fine (wipes sweat from brow) so hopefully no more crashes or formats.

Thanks again to those that offered help and advice.

Phill

22 (edited by TIGLJK 2016-11-23 02:37:37)

Phill,

I caved in and bought a new computer  it has windows 10 on it.

No issues yet...like it a lot .... except the photo story program I used on my old computer is not available for windows 10. I gave microsoft an unpleasant communication on that.  But overall , the system is working terrific
Hope yours continues to be fantastic as well.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hi Jim, just having little problems like reinstalling the programs I used, I keep getting told win 10 doesn't support them. I'm still having problems getting my recording programming working...still keep trying. I couldn't log into Chordie the other day luckily Roger came to my salvation