Topic: Open Mic

Scott and I have started going to a Sunday open mic night. The first one went fairly well but I had the camera set to "power save" mode and it shut off 3 lines into the first song so there's no recording of that night. The second one had the correct power setting but I turned it on and just let it run till the battery died. It's a 2.5 hour file with us and 3 other acts. That large a file takes a loooong time to load into the movie maker software so it's only broken into each individual performer at this point. Our third night was this past Sunday and knowing what I now know, I made a file for each performer. It was much easier to break our night into individual songs.

Here are 2 of them.

I'd never played it but Scott decided we should do this one about 3 hours before it was time to head out so I didn't have much time to learn it. But being a couple nights before election night he thought it would be appropriate.

U.S. Blues  https://vimeo.com/190809286

And here's one I screwed up at the NY Gathering in August.

El Paso  https://vimeo.com/190809040

Re: Open Mic

Good stuff Joe.  I played an open mic last week and due to my damaged finger, all songs were played out of D with alternate fingerings and the damaged middle finger of my left hand sticking up in the air.  If there was a video, it would look like I was flipping the audience "the bird" while playing. smile

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Cool. Good song choices, people always like songs they know or Blues tunes. Can't go wrong with those. I remember my first open mics. I was pretty nervous but still had lots if fun. It's always a good place to get started. I still like to play a few, But nervousness is gone. I've played so many shows in the last 22 years the jitters are gone and it's pure fun. Hope this is a bit of encouragement for all the people who are thinking about playing at open mics. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

good tunes Joe thank you for sharing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

good stuff Joe

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Tyson7 wrote:

Cool. Good song choices, people always like songs they know or Blues tunes. Can't go wrong with those. I remember my first open mics. I was pretty nervous but still had lots if fun. It's always a good place to get started. I still like to play a few, But nervousness is gone. I've played so many shows in the last 22 years the jitters are gone and it's pure fun. Hope this is a bit of encouragement for all the people who are thinking about playing at open mics. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

I agree people like songs they know, but I use open mics to try out new songs I've written.  At some of the venues the audience listens and I get feedback but at others the drunks at the bar are miffed because they can't impress their lady friends that they know the lyrics. smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

unclejoe
enjoyed the elpaso performance.... BUT then I looked at the sawing of those rough boards video.  That was really cool - nice machine.  Wish I had one like that.
I saw a few other videos you posted working with large cut  lumber - is that part of your occupation or just a hobby ?   Really cool stuf.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

unclejoe
enjoyed the el paso performance.... BUT then I looked at the sawing of those rough boards video.  That was really cool - nice machine.  Wish I had one like that.
I saw a few other videos you posted working with large cut  lumber - is that part of your occupation or just a hobby ?   Really cool stuf.

A couple of my best friends live in PA   out near Williamsport in a small town called Hughesville - that anywhere near you ? I went to college in PA as well ( East Stroudsburg)

Thanks for your posts - quite enjoyable

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

So good to see you to getting out there and having a good time!  smile  Always awesome to listen to the two of you play guitar together.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks everyone. We're going to make that place a regular thing on Sunday nights. That will help polish up everything.

I haven't done an open mic since '91. I couldn't have been more nervous back then. When I went to the first NY gathering in '15 I had only been back into playing for a little over a year. When I got there and realized I was about to be playing in front of 20 or so people, I was having flashbacks of that night so long ago. I was terrified and asked myself; What the heck am I doing here?"

But I didn't have any reservations this time. Just got up there and played. Made a couple mistakes but played through them.

I think the highlight of the evening for me was after we were finished. A guy walked up to me while I was putting my guitar away and said: "You guys made my night". I just looked at him with questioning eyes. He had walked in as we were getting set up and noticed my shirt. It's a logo for the Jerry Garcia Band. He had said to himself;  "I can only hope". We did 4-5 JGB songs that night and he was tickled.

TIGLJK wrote:

unclejoe
enjoyed the elpaso performance.... BUT then I looked at the sawing of those rough boards video.  That was really cool - nice machine.  Wish I had one like that.

I cut the trees down and get the wood to the point where it can be cut into lumber. I would love to have one of those machines but that is not mine. That thing sells for around $30,000. Too rich for my blood. I belong to a forum that deals mostly with heating with wood.  Like Chordie, folks host get togethers where they can show off their equipment; chainsaws, splitters, etc. Back in May there was one a couple hours from me so I went. One fellow had just bought that machine and brought it along. Really cool!

Our host was the guy doing the pumpkin carving. He takes blocks of wood and carves them into pumpkins with a chainsaw. Then his wife paints and sells them.

UJB
anyone that can perform in public gets my admiration.
good on you.

The King Of Audio Torture

TIGLJK wrote:

A couple of my best friends live in PA   out near Williamsport in a small town called Hughesville - that anywhere near you ? I went to college in PA as well ( East Stroudsburg)

Thanks for your posts - quite enjoyable

Jim

I forgot to respond to this part.

I was born and grew up in Williamsport. My old hunting camp is a little North of Hughsville in Trout Run. A little farther North is Blossburg where we have our annual family reunion.  I'm about 2 hours South of Williamsport now but a lot of the family is still there and I make the trip pretty often.
Every summer we walked to the Little League World Series because our parents told us it was faster than driving; and it was.

Yep, I know that area well. smile

I like the way you did El Paso.

14 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-11-12 04:17:04)

MORE  Marty Robbins, just like that!

As a matter of fact, more ballads performed by anyone who's a happy boy anyway!

Let's hear them, my friend!

Tell you what - I''ll start you off....

"Come And Listen To A Man Named Jed........"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkRkGCm4atE

WINK!

Love Y'all!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Peatle Jville wrote:

I like the way you did El Paso.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

MORE  Marty Robbins, just like that!

As a matter of fact, more ballads performed by anyone who's a happy boy anyway!

Let's hear them, my friend!

Tell you what - I''ll start you off....

"Come And Listen To A Man Named Jed........"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkRkGCm4atE

WINK!

Love Y'all!

Bill

Thanks for the kind words guys. smile

I split a couple more out tonight.

Friend of the Devil-  https://vimeo.com/191266248

Deal-  https://vimeo.com/191314903

16 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-11-13 04:42:43)

Joe I tried to leave a comment on VIMEO, but I don't know if it "took". my friend. What I wrote was you couldn't have picked a better tune for "Open Mic". Y'all rocked it, made ME feel like I was at a concert and I also asked for more. I also asked who the second guitar/voice is?

VERY nicely played and it was very evident you both are fans of The Dead.

Thanks, Joe for favoring us with one of The Grateful Dead standards!

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com