1 (edited by naolslager 2016-11-13 20:48:49)

Topic: Joy! NGD

My daughter asked me to find her a guitar to hang on her wall as decoration. She had been to Nashville recently and she had seen several guitars as decorations. She is not a guitar player...yet. Read on.

I searched Craig’s List first as I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a guitar she may never play. I found several candidates but the thought of driving around all day, meeting strangers in Waffle House parking lots, negotiating trade deals (as fun as that may be) was not how I wanted to spend my day.

Guitar Center must have know this as they emailed me a 15% Veteran’s Day coupon. (They can be pretty sneaky.) Bingo! Whether you like GC or not, they do have a large collection of guitars to chose from. Temptation got me and off I went to visit one of three of the GCs in my area.

Guitar Center did not disappoint. Using my iPhone camera I sent a few photographs to my daughter with questions like brown or colorful, shiny or matte, big or small? The latter referring to dreadnoughts and 000-size respectively.

We settled on a Yamaha FS-800 Sandburst finish. (The FS is Yamaha’s “folk body” and similar to a 000.) The 800 is at the bottom of the 800 series line up but it does not disappoint. In fact, I like its lack of abalone and flash. Regardless the guitar is beautiful and effortlessly playable right out of the box. A great-sound, lovely guitar which will not allow itself to be hung on a wall and forgotten. And that is my plan. I hope my daughter finds it calling her to come and play.

p.s. I know this story cannot be true without a photograph but I am not smart enough to post one. Sorry.
dj

Re: Joy! NGD

Happy ngd. yamahas are good low and high end.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Terrific guitar ... Happy NGD!

A friend that I jam with also bought one of these for his daughter, and he often picks it up to noodle around with, because of the comfortable size. Here's a pic (hope I got the right one) of what they look like ... very pretty finish!

http://c.scdn.gr/images/sku_main_images/008873/8873879/20160421151824_yamaha_fs800_sand_burst.jpeg

Tenement Funster,
That is the one! Thank you.
dj

I will give it to my daughter today. Meanwhile I've been chumming the waters of her imagination with various photographs of said instrument.