Topic: Earthquake

I saw that NewZeland had a 7.6 quake I am hoping all our members are ok,please let us know.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Earthquake

Gidday Dino
Yeah it was a goody.bit of rock n roll in the night.
My house has a few cracks in the foundations,but i don`t think at this stage
it`s a problem.Strange thing is that all the old buildings seem to be alright.
Many of the sexy new ones on the waterfront seem to be the ones with issues.
Because of the earthquakes we get here buildings are built with floating cushion foundations.
this allows buildings  to absorb movement,so a building doesn`t fracture,it sways instead.
yeah you don`t really want to be 20 floors up when it sways.But at least it doesn`t collapse.
thats not rock n roll  thats more ya roller coaster.

The King Of Audio Torture

Good too see you are ok. I have been in 7.4 shakes here in califonia and they do a lot of damage too some areas.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Echoing my pal, dino's sentiments here as well. You Kiwis are family as far as I'm concerned, and I don't like losing family! Glad you're okay. Peatle?  How are you and your sweet Maree?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Maree and I came through the earthquake intact, thank you Bill and Dino for checking on us here down in the south end of the Chordie Verse. When it was happening it went for two minutes which felt like the longest two minutes ever. Apart from some flying ornaments our house and us are all good. The hardest thing has been today dealing with heavy rainfall and flooding around our part of NZ making some people I have to deal with a bit grumpy. With roads closed by flooding and rail lines closed  people trying to get from A to B have been getting a little frustrated. I am just grateful to be ok and also pleased to have good people in my life.
Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Pete and Maree

Thanks for asking and as easybeat and Peatle have both said, we all survived and are here to tell the tale.  It wasn`t pleasant at all, probably the LONGEST earthquake i have ever felt, it seemed to go on and on.  There has been ongoing earthquakes and after shocks, not nice at all.  Damage mainly in Kaikoura in the South Island and Wellington in the North Island  but has been felt pretty much thoughout NZ.  Two deaths, one house totally demolished, one house moved metres in Kaikoura and they are totally cut off there, no way in or out other than by air.  One large high rise building looking like it may collapse in Wellington and other buildings damaged.  Railway tracks damaged, land slips, roads cracked and raised, land crack and raised, power has been out in places. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-eart … -nz--day-2
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-eart … ake-island

Today in Wellington we got hit with a hugh storm as well, major flooding ( in my own house flooding in the garage) .... been a rough few days to say the least.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8646244 … Wellington

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

FYI  after the big one we had in 89 I keep about $100.00 in cash in the house as all our atms stopped working and the banks closed. This is also why I do not hang my guitars on the walls.

Wow.  Sounds pretty rough.  I'm glad y'all are safe in your persons if not necessarily in your possessions.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I saw this on the news last week as well.  I'm glad to hear our NZ friends are safe!  I don't know how comfy I'd be living in an area that gets lots of quakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, or other natural disaster type issues.  We worry about too much snow and possible ice storms taking down power lines, but that's mostly just a loss of power - not quite so life threatening.  Stay safe!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thank  you Amy
For your  kind thoughts.
I guess the thing with nature it will eventually remind us in one form or another to respect it it. Sometimes we all take our safety for granted in the rush of life. Compared with motor accidents  nature has most probably in terms of life lost and life changing injuries done less damage. The big lessons down here in NZ around the earthquakes is modern enginering and construction hasn't deliverd on some structures like the experts thought it would. The older buildings in our city that  were waiting to either be demolished or earthquake strengthen because the engineers thought them unsafe came through Ok. Some of the modern so called  safe buildings didn't.