1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-19 21:23:13)

Topic: How & Why to Use an Effects Loop

Here's a great video from Phillip McKnight's extensive library of on-line gear talk. In this one, he capably explains why an amplifier's Effects Loop is soooo useful, and where to use it in the signal path:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hi7fBwe5JM

This fully enables a guitarist to practice at home without angering everyone in the house with massive volumes, while still being able to enjoy all of the effects, distortion, etc. we all love so much. Enjoy!

Re: How & Why to Use an Effects Loop

Some distortions sound like crap through the loop.  I generally put all my effects in line, crank my tube amp to an unreasonably high volume and then pull the output back down with a volume soak in the effects loop.

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-20 02:35:00)

Re: How & Why to Use an Effects Loop

Baldguitardude wrote:

Some distortions sound like crap through the loop.  I generally put all my effects in line, crank my tube amp to an unreasonably high volume and then pull the output back down with a volume soak in the effects loop.

I do something similar, BGD ... at least partially. My Traynor YCS50 has a built-in power soak that takes it down to 15W.

Generally, I like to run distortion / gain / OD effects in the path from the guitar to the amp input. Filter effects (wah, phase, flange, etc.) seem to sound better through the Effects Loop. I'd like to know how many Distortion pedals I've bought - tried - returned over the years. I've yet to hear one I truly like. None of them sounded as good as hitting the 12AX7's directly, using the Gain channel on the amp itself ... that whole tube VS transistor clipping business.