1 (edited by upsidedown_n_backwards 2016-11-24 22:03:01)

Topic: NEED HELP PUTTING CHORDS INTO A SONG

Where in the forum should I go for this?
I came to this one because it says songwriting and that is what I am trying to do...
If anyone can assist me that would be great....
It just keeps repeating D C G with a long G strum down down down up down down down up between every line
Kinda Bob Dylan ish or John Prine style  If I could get some pointers from you guys that would be great!  I mean should I change some of the chords or add some? IDK

Fallen Again

D                               C                                G 
To all of those in my life who care about me,
   D                                            C                       G
my eyes are filled with hurt, so much I can't see.
    D                                              C                G
Just please have patience, for I've fallen again,
    D                                     C                          G
no matter how hard I try, I feel I just can't win.
   D                            C                                        G
I brush myself off, put my feet back on the ground,
        D                                               C                    G
because I know there's a reason, why I'm still around.
  D                                C                       G
I try as hard as I can, to do my very best,
    D                                                C                           G
but it seems like all my efforts, never please the rest.
  D                                     C                          G
I feel like all the people, I care about the most,
   D                                    C                                           G   
don't acknowledge me, it makes me feel like I'm a ghost.

I have to follow my heart, its quest is unbound,

I've fallen again, I'm down here on the ground.

A person can only get back up so many times,

before they need some help, that's why I write these lines.

If someone sees on the ground a struggling man,

would you please stop real quick, to offer me your hand.

I've fallen again and I'm on the ground

I've fallen again and I'm on the ground

I said I've fallen again and I'm on the ground

Dustin Allen Severson
www.facebook.com/dustin.a.severson

Re: NEED HELP PUTTING CHORDS INTO A SONG

Gidday  USD&BW
You`re in the right place to put your songs.
I had a play of this,it works real well.
I left the C out every third line just to add variety.
then every 5th line i repeated the last few words of the previous line
using Em  then C.
You`ll get heaps of good ideas from other Chordians
Welcome, please join the conversations.

The King Of Audio Torture

Hello. The song just naturally took me into a 3/4 rhythm, ie. An up down strum of. D 123,123. C 123,123. G 1//. Then maybe follow e b's idea to break things up a Little. Love the lyrics, thanks for posting.

Thick as two short planks

Hey thanks!  I play left handed on a right handed guitar smile  I will have a go at both of your ideas and keepitreal it kinda is played in a 3/4 rhythm
I appreciate your input both of you

Dustin Allen Severson

upsidedown n backwards

I am more of a songwriter rather  than a musician, so I will give you my slant. others on here will be much more of a help in the musical component.
I loved the song. When I read it, I  immediately thought of my nephew who has this ongoing battle with dyslexia  and depression, compounded by alcohol abuse.

I played it through using this progression   G  D  C  G  ( becaus e those chords are easiest for me smile   )
I think it needs a chorus that changes  the progression up.  As the song progressed, it was evident , at least to me, that the subject was reaching out for help in various ways.

As I was reading your lines and playing it through, this little chorus popped in my head
Em                 Am                                  C                                           G
Ooooh, I’m  reaching out, can't you see,  I could use a helping hand
Em                 Am                                        C                                     D
Ooooh,  I’m reaching out,  won’t you help me to make my stand
Em                 Am                                  C                                  G
Ooooh,   I’m reaching out, to  any kind     soul  still around
G                                                  Am                C                               G
someone like you to  help  me rise ,  and stay  up off the  ground

quite simple, but reiterates the message succinctly I believe.

if you don't like it just delete it smile
If you like it , feel free to use it.

It's just my humble opinion, but I think you've written a really nice piece that is applicable to many emotional circumstances, where we all could use some help. 

one last really minor detail - the line you use " i'm down hear on the ground"   the word "hear" should be "here"   you can fix that easily by going to edit. ( that's the teacher side of me coming through !:) )
Thanks for sharing and Welcome to Chordie !!

Jim
ps  can't wait to hear you perform it.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I have not had a chance to try my hand at it yet but will, having said that there a lot of good songs with only two chords good songs do not have to be complex if you like it that's all that matters

out of tune out of key and out of touch

7 (edited by upsidedown_n_backwards 2016-11-24 22:11:32)

TIGLJK wrote:

upsidedown n backwards

I am more of a songwriter rather  than a musician, so I will give you my slant. others on here will be much more of a help in the musical component.
I loved the song. When I read it, I  immediately thought of my nephew who has this ongoing battle with dyslexia  and depression, compounded by alcohol abuse.

I played it through using this progression   G  D  C  G  ( becaus e those chords are easiest for me smile   )
I think it needs a chorus that changes  the progression up.  As the song progressed, it was evident , at least to me, that the subject was reaching out for help in various ways.

As I was reading your lines and playing it through, this little chorus popped in my head
Em                 Am                                  C                                           G
Ooooh, I’m  reaching out, can't you see,  I could use a helping hand
Em                 Am                                        C                                     D
Ooooh,  I’m reaching out,  won’t you help me to make my stand
Em                 Am                                  C                                  G
Ooooh,   I’m reaching out, to  any kind     soul  still around
G                                                  Am                C                               G
someone like you to  help  me rise ,  and stay  up off the  ground

quite simple, but reiterates the message succinctly I believe.

if you don't like it just delete it smile
If you like it , feel free to use it.

It's just my humble opinion, but I think you've written a really nice piece that is applicable to many emotional circumstances, where we all could use some help. 

one last really minor detail - the line you use " i'm down hear on the ground"   the word "hear" should be "here"   you can fix that easily by going to edit. ( that's the teacher side of me coming through !:) )
Thanks for sharing and Welcome to Chordie !!

Jim
ps  can't wait to hear you perform it.

I will give it a go!  Thanks for the grammar check too lol... I can't believe I missed it!  PS I wrote this in 2009 when I was heavy into a Meth addiction!  I've been clean and sober for 3 years and 7 months though smile

Dustin Allen Severson

congrats man- keep it up !!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

I think it needs a chorus that changes  the progression up.

I thought the same thing when I read it this morning. I took a slightly different approach to breaking up the steady D C G. Instead of writing new lines for a chorus, I changed the chord progression every 4 lines. I also moved the C a little farther along in the line. The lower case C is in the original position. The song seemed to flow smoother for me where I placed the capital C.

D                                c              C                      G
   D                                   c                C                     G
    D                             c                         C                G
    D                               c         C                          G
   Em                                       Am                             
        Em                                               Am                    D
  Em                                     Am               
          Em                                         Am                          D

D                                         C                          G
   D                                                           C                         G   

ETC, ETC.

Just my 2 bucks. (inflation ya know) smile

Haha.  Joe that is brilliant.

unclejoesband wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

I think it needs a chorus that changes  the progression up.

I thought the same thing when I read it this morning. I took a slightly different approach to breaking up the steady D C G. Instead of writing new lines for a chorus, I changed the chord progression every 4 lines. I also moved the C a little farther along in the line. The lower case C is in the original position. The song seemed to flow smoother for me where I placed the capital C.

D                                c              C                      G
   D                                   c                C                     G
    D                             c                         C                G
    D                               c         C                          G
   Em                                       Am                             
        Em                                               Am                    D
  Em                                     Am               
          Em                                         Am                          D

D                                         C                          G
   D                                                           C                         G   

ETC, ETC.

Just my 2 bucks. (inflation ya know) smile

It does seem to flow smoother!   I was thinking of making a chorus to it actually!  that would be perfect!  thanks joe!

Dustin Allen Severson

upside down .....I  love this song!  I am not much help musically to you but i do appreciate a well written song and the lyrics in this are very touching.  I have someone very close to me with drug issues and a binge drinker so this song speaks to me.  This line in particular is how i know they feel   "I try as hard as I can, to do my very best,  but it seems like all my efforts, never please the rest" sad   Tugs at your heart. 
Great song, well done on being clean and sober and yay another Leftie (although i play a left handed ukulele and left handed guitar).

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Wow Jan, I never realised you were lefty too! I began torturing the strings at about 14 in an attempt to attract the girls....never worked! But when I picked it up for the first time it went naturally lefty, I've tried swapping but gave up.

Upside, your gonna have to give us a shorter name we can call you? Yes great song made all the more poignant by the accompanying story, glad to hear you're clean, congrats on that and the song, it's early morning here and the wife is still sleeping so with your permission I'll give it a go later. You have a talent keep on.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi there U.D.n.B

I thought I'd have a crack at it and this is what I came up with, I hope you don't mind cos I've taken a liberty or two with some words to get the rhythm I've used and I've altered some chords to give the song a flow and I've even changed key for the last 3 lines, as Jim says "if'n you likes it not, dump it."

Fallen Again

[D] To all of those in my [C] life who [G] care about [D] me,

[D] my eyes are filled with [C] hurt, so [G] much I can't [D] see.

[C] Just please have patience, for I've [G] fallen again,

[Am] I try so hard,but I [D] just can't win.

[C] I brush myself off, put my [G] feet back on the ground,

[Am] because I know there's a [G] reason, why I'm [D] still around.

[D] I try as hard as I [C] can, to [G] do my very [D] best,

[D] but it seems like all my [C] efforts, never [G] please the [D] rest.

[C] I feel like all those, I [G] care about the most,

[Am] don't acknowledge me, makes me [D] feel like  a ghost.                         
[C] I have to follow [G] my heart, a quest unbound,                                                     
[Am] I've fallen again, I'm [G] down here on the [D] ground.

[C] A person can [D] only get back up so [Em] many times,
[Am] before they need [C] help, that's why I [D] write these lines.

[D] If someone sees on the [C] ground a [G] struggling man,
[D] would you please stop real [C] quick, to [G] offer me your [D] hand.
[F] I've fallen [C] again and I'm on the [Bb] ground
[F] I've fallen [C] again and I'm on the [Bb] ground
I said I've [F] fallen [C] again and I'm on the [Bb] ground....D-C-G

I am recording it at the moment and as soon as I get it on soundcloud I'll let you know

15 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-11-28 04:13:28)

Upside you have writen a top song and I love the way Phill has coverd it on soundcloud a true classic. I  am so pleased you have been able share what it is like in a song for addicts and those who are down.

Phill Williams wrote:

Wow Jan, I never realised you were lefty too! I began torturing the strings at about 14 in an attempt to attract the girls....never worked! But when I picked it up for the first time it went naturally lefty, I've tried swapping but gave up.

Phill

Phill,  on the efforts of a 14 year old boy, torturing the strings and to attract the girl lol, i could totally visualize that scenario haha.   I  did try playing a couple of times on a right handed guitar ......... it was a no go, failed miserably and knew pretty much straight way i was going to have to get myself some left-handed gear smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

17 (edited by upsidedown_n_backwards 2016-11-28 03:43:54)

Hey Thanks everyone!  I would like to hear your rendition on soundcloud Phill!

Dustin Allen Severson

upsidedown_n_backwards wrote:

Here  is the attachment to Phills Version on soundcloud  below.
https://soundcloud.com/iphillfine/fallen-again

19 (edited by upsidedown_n_backwards 2016-11-28 05:46:29)

Peatle Jville wrote:
upsidedown_n_backwards wrote:

Here  is the attachment to Phills Version on soundcloud  below.
https://soundcloud.com/iphillfine/fallen-again

Wow Phill!  You rocked it!  I am not that good at picking!  Not only do I play upside down and backwards but I was also born with a deformed left hand and all I got is a thumb... I can pick like wish you were here and redemption songs intro lol!  But I can't hold a pick and I have tried to use a thumb pick to no avail sad 
I am just happy I can play a guitar and sing at all lol... Some chords I'll never hit cuz I play lefty on a righty guitar and then I wouldn't do too well on a banjo or finger picking on a guitar! and power chords are way tough the way I play too

Dustin Allen Severson

20 (edited by upsidedown_n_backwards 2016-11-28 05:53:41)

Here is what my hand looks like so you can see what I am workin with lol
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ … e=583D9CC8
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ … e=583DA426

Dustin Allen Severson

It's great to see how you've made the hardships of your life work for you. You are obviously a very brave and determined man who I am sure will find a way to strum and pick.

I usually find when I'm playing on a right hander that A shaped chords, or Bb actually, are the easiest and best to play; index finger for the barre and ring finger to hold down the 3 strings to make the chord, just like slide guitar really. Glad you like what I've done with your song, always glad to help.

Phill.

nicely done Phill

Great voice and guitar work.

Here is a little thumb picking idea you might want to try  Upside. It  is just playing on the A and B strings. I attach a short video I made for you showing what I mean. Hopefully it might be of some help to your guitar playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-gQVy … e=youtu.be

Peatle Jville wrote:

Here is a little thumb picking idea you might want to try  Upside. It  is just playing on the A and B strings. I attach a short video I made for you showing what I mean. Hopefully it might be of some help to your guitar playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-gQVy … e=youtu.be

Thanks for the pointers!  I liked the little verse you made up too it made me chuckle!

Dustin Allen Severson

Greetings UD&BW,  And Welcome, as others have said, we hope youjoin in on the other topics and general conversation threads smile
Here is a link that has really helped me in my writing so that you can change it up.  Gives you the primary progressions, and then alternates, + choose the style of moods.  https://autochords.com/   For a guyy like me with little training on theory, this is a godsend

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)