Topic: NKD ... At Last!

Tomorrow at 6:00 AM, I go into the hospital for a total replacement of my left knee, i.e., New Knee Day! I'm looking forward to restored mobility / reduced pain once the recovery is done. Years of hockey, soccer, weights, and retail have taken their toll on my joints, and I expect my other knee and both hips will follow suit over the next few years.

I'm so excited ... the best Christmas gift I could hope for!

http://www.medicaltourismabroad.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2_Total_Knee_replacement_surgery.jpg

Re: NKD ... At Last!

TF I hope it comes out good.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hope all goes well.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I hope all goes well TF.  I had my right knee replaced last year.  I wasn't prepared for the amount of pain the first 3 days or so but the pain got manageable shortly after that.  Make sure you follow the rehab regimen.  I have a stationary bicycle and that helped a lot. I had sciatic nerve issues for quite a while as I adjusted to the difference of walking with the new knee.  It took about 6 months before I felt things had completely healed and the knee feels great now.  I only wish I hadn't put it off for so long.  Like you, my left knee is now a candidate for replacement.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

All the best and hope your's is not as painful as Dirty Ed's; but I am sure the end results will be worth any discomfort.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I think you're so very brave by looking into what the surgeons are going to do, I'd rather not know. I've been told I need a new left knee and the right one's not far behind after years of running, track and field stuff, soccer, rugby then latterly up and down ladders for my job and last but not least, hours of standing on one leg while working the FX pedals.

Anyhow, look at the bright side, you can't go to work, you can't do any jobs around the house so find a comfy position for easy access to your guitar and computer.

Good luck with the surgery and take you time to recover properly.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Good luck TF, I'm sure all will go well and you'll be up and about in no time.

Thick as two short planks

Best of luck with your surgery.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I had knee surgery so I wish you the best I hope everything turns out ok smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Wish you a speedy recovery. Knee problems are never fun just know later they will feel better.in time.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-05 20:58:38)

TF, my friend!!!! So sorry to be just now joining the throng of our family wishing you well with your knee surgery and, of course, a speedy recovery and Dondra (who has had the surgery herself) wishes you the same, of course!

Speaking of "throng", I must admit when I read your topic "NKD At Last", I took it as "Naked" and wondered what took you so long???? ("wink, wink - nudge. nudge - say no more smile "

(Or did you leave it as "bait" hoping I'd jump at the hook???? smile smile smile . You know if anyone would, it would be me, right?)

Maybe this made you smile. Hope so, and please keep us informed as to how it all went.

Your Friends

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

TF ................... all the very best for your surgery and a good recovery smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I wish you well and hope the pain passes quickly for you TF.  I'm trying to avoid knee surgery, my orthopedic surgeon is willing to try injecting a jell type substance and a brace. It may give me more time before the inevitable. I've been hard on the equipment over the years and joints are wearing out. I just underwent several surgery's on my back and the pain is finally at a tolerable level. I've been on heavy doses of morphine and oxycodone for the last four years so thats another issue I have to deal with.  I still have to take care to not lift heavy things which means no Duesenburg guitar for Christmas.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

A couple friends of mine have had knee surgery like yours and have been pleased with improved quality of life.

The surgery went far better than I could have hoped. Almost no pain, and just using basic Tylenol for that. There'll be a couple more days in the hospital for wound care, and then home for a few weeks of recovery. A big thanks to you all for you kind wishes. Phil has it mapped out perfectly, except I'll add lot of snacks!

Wow, sounds like a great initial result. I'm glad you're feeling well. Back to picking in no time.

17 (edited by dino48 2016-12-07 01:34:04)

welcome back tf   get up and start moving  as soon as possible.The physcale therepy  is the hardest part.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Glad you are doing well. Please keep us informed of your progress as some of us are destined to undergo the same surgery.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Great news.  Glad to hear it went well.  Best of luck for a full and quick recovery that has you more mobile than you were before.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great. Pleased it went well and the pain is manageable. You must keep fit and as you have to be off your feet it looks likeplenty of guitar and keyboard exercises are the order of the day. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Real Great News !!  We love it when things go as they are intended...... you'll be back out on that Golf Course in about 6-8 weeks wondering why you didn't have it done earlier.  In the meantime, I have 2 words of advise for ya.... Physical Therapy !  Seriously..... without those good people and strict adherence to the exercise regimen that I was given, I'd still be in a wheelchair.  Dino's advice about getting moving as soon as possible is sound.  You heal better/quicker, get better articulation of your new "hinge", and all that good stuff.

In the interim, don't forget to tip your "waitress" and treat her nice !  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I totally missed this!  I'm so glad everything went well for you TF!  Hopefully you're on your way home or will be soon, so you can relax and hopefully eat some good food.  Unless Canadian hospitals are filled with awesome food?  Makes sure you're getting up and doing the PT they want you to do when it's time.  Enjoy the downtime when you need to rest it too.  I'm glad to hear the pain is so minimal for you after surgery.  That 3rd picture up there is kind of creepy... looks like they hack your leg right in half!  LOL!  Glad they could put you back together again in good shape!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well TF, its been over 10 days now, so how's the knee doing?

Appreciate the follow up ...

It'll be 2-weeks this coming Monday since the "deed was done", and things seem to be progressing as expected. Can get up and walk around a bit with a crutch, and was able to climb upstairs yesterday (our home is a split-entry) to enjoy breakfast with my wife. The biggest challenge is getting the range of motion back, so that will be the ongoing project over the next week or two, and a nurse is coming Monday to remove the staples. If I would offer an essential piece of advice to anyone contemplating this, it would be to get a good Lazy-Boy chair ... recovery would be brutal without it. smile

Dirty Ed wrote:

Well TF, its been over 10 days now, so how's the knee doing?

Great to hear that things are going well TF. Did you experience an increase in pain after you left the hospital?  My incision was glued so no stitches or staples needed to be removed. Getting range of motion back may take some work. I went to therapy every day for a couple weeks after I returned home and then a couple times a week for the next month, but I assume each case is different.  My house is a two-story with all the bedrooms upstairs so I had to negotiate stairs from day one.  12 days after the operation I was on my riding mower and began driving my truck again at 19 days although I was told to wait 10 weeks since it was my right knee and might affect using the gas pedal and brake.

I plan to make an appointment next week to have my left knee evaluated.  It has deteriorated to the point the pain is keeping me awake at night.  I'm hoping that I can get a replacement operation scheduled for right after the holidays so I'll be good to go for Chordiestock in March.

Again, glad to hear you're doing well.

DE