1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-31 20:06:02)

Topic: Fret Buzz Anyone?

Especially switching from G to D7. Arthritic, fat fingers.

Whatcha think?

Thanks

Bill

ETA: Never mind. Wasn't staying behind my frets. Also, I need new glasses because when I look at the words and chord changes, my vision and a little bit of nerves makes me see other chords than the ones I'm supposed to play. Then there's the memory. Mine, not the computer's. smile  I am currently learning a song with only TWO chords, so that's okay. There are those "Adjustable Vision" glasses and I have ordered a pair.

But if there are more than three chords (and I haven't practiced in a long time) then it messes me up when I have to stop and place my fingers for the next chord - especially the dreaded B7 - and I'm looking for the book "Chords For Old Idiots" or something similar.

Also availing myself of the YT lessons.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Fret Buzz Anyone?

I can help Bill !!  Sure do wish I had video Skype right about now.... but here goes with my attempt at describing how to get you there without a lot of complicated jibberish.

We are assuming you use the "common" G fingering with your Index, Middle, Ring fingers, so we'll start there with the G chord (give it a strum).  Now lift your I & M fingers leaving the R still on the e string 3rd fret,  slide your R to the 2nd fret and place your I & M into position for the D7 chord (strum). As you see you can reduce the number of finger movements to only two + a slide and that one "keeps" your place in the string "stack" making it easier to change between those two chords without having to look and verify if you have the correct strings fretted.

Now let's get you to that (dreaded) B7.....  We will be using the D7 shape we just did and moving it vertically towards the Bass Tones one string at a time.  Make your D7 as above, lift all three fingers (while keeping that shape and move up one string so your I is on the G string (strum).  That chord is the AMaj7 (also referred sometimes as C#m7 as an inversion). Move that D7 shape again up one string so the I is on the D string, and add your Pinky on the e string (high e) at the 2nd fret (strum).  Voila the B7 in the first position !!

What I always found was getting that darn Pinky involved was a pain.  Firstly it has no strength, and secondly these hands have taken a beating over time and don't want to cooperate.  I started changing the fingers used for the G to M R P and now switch between sets of fingers depending on what chord I'm coming from or going to.... takes time.

Have Fun !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: Fret Buzz Anyone?

Thank you, my friend, and thanks very much for all the tech help this year as you unselfishly spent s lot of time on the phone with me helping me with my tech problems! I copied your instructions above and saved them in my docs.

Give my best to "The Prettiest Girl On The Planet" and we'll see ya next year. wink

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com