Topic: GMD

Guitar Maintenance Day

Loaded up the boys and 3 guitars and visited the music shop.  2 of the guitars were my son Cades.

His Strat was having grounding issues, an just like at the doctor, it didn't do it at the shop, but we decided to replace the input jack,   and check all the connections for cold soldier spots. Then his Xavier A/E ( the one I brought to Chordie stock)  the jack had come out of it, and so we decided to replace that one and beef it up some.  also having some new strings (the John Pearse .012-.053 ) general set up and fret filing and neck check.

I ended up bringing the TAK back home but went with the suggestion of the heavier strings (as above)  .  I had thought of having the action  lowered, but the tech (Eric) suggested against it. Ill put the heavier strings on and after the other guitars are done we will check action on the TAK. 

The Tak came home because I realized Cade needed a guitar for class.   So he will get to use the TAK.  (im being a very trusting father here!)

Cheers!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: GMD

Just had my 1999 Martin D-35 refretted . I had some bad fret gouges . Now it plays like new . I can't believe how much better it sounds. We have to keep our toys in tip - top shape.

Joe

maintenance to me is changing the strings and wiping the body down and cleaning the frets. i used to have a tin of switch cleaner that got rid of the grating sound you sometimes get when turning knobs up or down. i never replaced it, wish i had.

fenders do seem to have grounding issues, i found that with my strat and tele, my other guitars don't seem to do it. usually standing too close or even facing the amp can cause it, i just turn away to cure it.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-01-15 20:57:02)

Some of that sounds like it may be the 60-cycle hum that single-coil pickups are known for. Facing another electrical field (like an amp) or playing in a room with fluorescent lights makes it even worse. Here's a good article on trouble-shooting the problem:

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/ta … -cycle-hum

I clicked on this just to see what GMD means, and whaddaya know I wound up learning something. Gotta love Chordie.