Topic: February 2017 FSOTM - Amie - Take me Home, Country Roads

For February, we put it to a vote!  While, I'm not 1000% sure if Country Roads was a clear winner, Zurf says it was and I don't argue with big guys!  big_smile  Amie was a clear winner, and frankly I'm glad I get to listen to everyone sing to me now (even if it is spelled differently).

Take Me Home, Country Roads
Here's a possible chord page to use:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … _roads.pro
From Wikipedia:  "Take Me Home, Country Roads" is a song written by Bill Danoff, Taffy Nivert and John Denver that was derived from a poem written in a letter to them by their friend, John Albert Fitzgerald who was residing in West Virginia at the time. It was first recorded by John Denver and included on his 1971 breakout album, Poems, Prayers & Promises."
wiki link

Amie
Some possible chords to use (there's got to be a better version somewhere, I'm sure!):  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … e/amie.crd
From Wikipedia:  ""Amie" is a song recorded by the American soft rock group Pure Prairie League. It was released in 1973 as their debut single, but did not chart on the Billboard Hot 100 until 1975."
wiki link
Did you know?
This song was covered by Lonestar, Travis Tritt, Wesley Willis, Brent Anderson (with Craig Fuller and Vince Gill), Counting Crows, and Garth Brooks!

NOW - it's your turn!  Try one, try both!  Make 'em your own, record, upload somewhere, and put the link here!

Ready?  Set?  GO!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: February 2017 FSOTM - Amie - Take me Home, Country Roads

Didn't Vince Gill do the original flat picking solos with Pure Prairie League?

Also, I didn't say Country Roads had a lot of votes.  I said I kind of know how to play it, and so unless and until something else was picked, I was going to go with it. :-)

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

For a minute there I thought the song was
Amy, take me home.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Vince Gill was in PPL for a bit when he was a puppy.  There's a great version of Amie on Yt with him singing lead.

Probably won't be able to do either of these as I've still got throat problems which are preventing me singing ,no gigs booked till May so hopefully back in tune before then.,enjoyed listening to last month's renditions.

Goodness gracious Graham. I must have missed that thread, or forgotten it.  I'm sorry to learn (or be reminded) of your throat problems.  I hope you get that squared away.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf we got these?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Zurf we got these?

What could possibly go wrong?

So cool! Im glad I thought of that one AMY AMIE! and UG has a few versions of how to play it, I posted the link in the other thread.  Maybe I can get that one before March? LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Zurf - my co-mods left me (Jan's been on Holiday and is busy with some family obligations, UJB is busy playing his guitar), I've been inundated with new work stuff, and so, since you jumped in with words that made sense,  I just went with it.  LOL!  It's as good as pulling something out of a hat for me!  wink 

Yeah, I saw that vid - Gill actually did a little bit of lead singing for PPL!  I had no clue until I was searching around and saw that.

Graham - I hope your throat issues get straightened out soon.  It sounds like this may be more than just a cold.  Though, I've had laryngitis last for a month or so in the past seeming like it would never completely go away.  Its super difficult to deal with, but sure preferable to something more serious.  Thinking of you!

TIGLJK - Ha ha ha ha!  Amieeeeeeee, what'ca wanna do?  Take me hooooooome to West Virginiaaaaa.  LOL... I can hear a mash up song in there.

Scott - Hopefully you can do better than I did last month.  I promise, I will STILL get to those two songs at some point!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Zurf we got these?

What could possibly go wrong?

With scotch and strings, not much.

Take 1
I'll get the ball rolling.
I've played this one more than Country Roads, which I hope to get up here before the end of the month.
https://soundcloud.com/rds-songs
P.S. I miss you Bill.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

RickyJack

Nicely done !!  I enjoyed it.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Jim.
I play with four other old guys and that song has been on our song list for a few years now. It sure sounds empty without the harmonies and guitar solos.

Rick

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

Pure Prairie League was a band that had its roots in nearby Waverly, Ohio.  Craig Fuller (songwriter, guitar and vocals) and John David Call (pedal steel) were both from Waverly.  I met Craig when we were taking some of the same classes at Ohio University in 1968 and John when we both hired in on the same day as Instrumentation and Control apprentices at a local uranium enrichment facility in 1969.  John quit within a year as the band he was playing with (PPL) got signed to a record contract and the boys hit the road. Call had to quit touring after a couple years because of back issues and moved back home to Ohio.  In the early 70's PPL was my favorite band and I collected all their albums and learned to play some of their songs.  Although "Amie" is more popular, "Tears" has always been my favorite. Over the years the band had changed members often and at times no original members were touring. As mentioned, Vince Gill was a member at one time.

John Call was well-known for his innovative steel guitar licks and I even heard him referred to as the Jimi Hendrix of pedal steel once. I spoke to him last fall (he is a member of our Foothill Folk Society group) and he is doing some gigs with the band again and his wife Andrea (also a musician) plays at a venue in WV.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Zurf and this Dude playing SOTM number one - Take Me Home, Country Road. And some scotch-induced dialog.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-lilly/chordi … untry-road

I hope you enjoy it, but not too much. You might have to drive.

Song two - Amie. For Amies everywhere. Also for Woody Woodpecker. Thanks again Zurf. I had a great time!

https://soundcloud.com/joe-lilly/chordi … -2017-amie

Zurf and BGD   EXCELLENT !
Left message on cloud as well.

That would be a blast - someday maybe I'll get there.

19 (edited by Zurf 2017-02-12 21:19:16)

I got to tell you, I have not had so much fun playing guitar since the last Chordiestock.  BGD is a tremendously skilled guitar player and very good company.  I strolled into his hotel room and he was on what seemed to be a challenging work conversation.  Not wanting to interfere with his job duties, I left the room immediately after grabbing his ice bucket.  Upon returning, his conversation had turned, so I poured us each a stiff scotch on the rocks from a stock I had brought along. He finished his conversation then toasted me by saying, "I like how you roll."  From that dubious introduction through the rest of the evening we had a lot of laughs. 

I would have liked a few more passes on these songs, as they are rough, but we had great fun playing them. Finding a pitch on Country Roads was hard for me (as you can tell), but BGD didn't have the foggiest notion how the melody went on the bridge so it was up to me to sing.  John Denver's pitch is far above what I am able to perform, and we didn't mess around with capos at all.  So my singing was far from polished.  Oh well.  I'll give all dis-satisfied customers double their money back if you don't fall in with the fun we were having.  Some conditions apply. Your mileage may vary. Side effects may include early or late chord transitions, inappropriate language, cartoon sound effects, and almost certainly hair loss.

As usual, I agree with Zurf.

21 (edited by easybeat 2017-02-12 22:13:23)

Can`t beat a good laugh guys.
love ya humour.

The King Of Audio Torture

Even though the month isn't even 1/2 way through, I declare BGD and Zurf the winners. I guarantee nobody had or will have as much fun playing these tunes as these two did. Please pick a good SOTM for March - perhaps we can record a chordiestock collaboration!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

The winners this month were our stomachs.  We had one of the best dinners I've had in all my time in DC, at a restaurant I've been to 6-8 times.

Baldguitardude wrote:

The winners this month were our stomachs.  We had one of the best dinners I've had in all my time in DC, at a restaurant I've been to 6-8 times.

Best Brussels sprouts I have ever had.  Fan-freakin'-tastic.

topdown wrote:

Even though the month isn't even 1/2 way through, I declare BGD and Zurf the winners. I guarantee nobody had or will have as much fun playing these tunes as these two did. Please pick a good SOTM for March - perhaps we can record a chordiestock collaboration!

Jeff lets hear you on some stuff ya been kinda quiet lately.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)