Topic: Reading Music

The more I delve into music theory, moveable chords, jazz chords, the circle of fifths, augment & dimish chords, etc., the more my understanding starts to resemble this great chart:

http://9886-presscdn-0-33.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/musicmadness-e1415900002364.jpg

2 (edited by Baldguitardude 2016-11-14 16:44:07)

Re: Reading Music

It never gets any easier, either. I learned the hard way that unless you're looking to play jazz and improvise a lot, you won't use 95% of that stuff. If your focus is on western popular music, focus on dorian, mixolydian, aeolian, major and minor pent, and major and minor dominant chords and altered chords. If you want to play metal maybe throw in harmonic and melodic minor.

Just my .02

smile

Edit: If you're looking to play classical music a lot of the above goes out the window. smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

http://9886-presscdn-0-33.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/musicmadness-e1415900002364.jpg

I'm right there with ya TF.  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_1822.gif

unclejoesband wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

I'm right there with ya TF.  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_1822.gif

Ditto

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Before reading your post, I thought I was looking at the result of an angry Ludwig Van Beethoven  (known to me as "The Maestro") who just couldn't get that "movement" down. smile

Although I can read percussion, no way can I do anything with notes all over the staff, so I'm with you as wel, TF. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

6 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-02-06 00:21:41)

I am the odd one on Chordie in that i play by mostly reading music.  The hardest part of teaching new students is teaching them how to read music and read and learn the timing of songs.  After that they learn to play chords and tabs.

I do understand and like your music sheet. Would like to be able to print a sheet like that.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-02-06 03:55:33)

Classical Guitar wrote:

I am the odd one on Chordie in that i play by mostly reading music.  The hardest part of teaching new students is teaching them how to read music and read and learn the timing of songs.  After that they learn to play chords and tabs.

I do understand and like your music sheet. Would like to be able to print a sheet like that.

I most certainly envy how you approach & teach music CG. It is clearly the right way to go.

I picked up Dad's little concert-sized "Suprema" when I was 8-years-old, and never got a lesson. It was months before I even knew what being "in tune" meant. After that, it was just a matter of listening to a song on the radio, and trying to figure out where to fret the strings to reproduce the music. Slow, painful, mistake-ridden, and compromised ... I never even met another guitar player until my mid-teens. And we were all doing the same thing, i.e., being parrots. Those birds can repeat the words, but they don't know what they mean.

It's only been in the last 5 years that I became aware of the various scales and modes, and have started trying to learn them from books and YouTube videos. Sure, I can rattle off a lot of songs now, play some decent lead, and even know what notes go with which chords (for the most part). But I have so many bad habits and such broken understanding. At 60-years old, I've had to accept these limitations, but none of this limits my enjoyment of music or playing at all ... I still love it!

If you can play a major scale, you already know all seven modal scales as well.

If you understand how chords map to the major scale, you already understand exactly the same thing for a given modal scale.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

If you understand how chords map to the major scale, you already understand exactly the same thing for a given modal scale.

Ditto

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Ditto

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

I just stumbled upon most of these things over the years, because they sounded right. Since joining Chordie 4 years ago, and going through the www.justinguitar.com website, a lot of things have started making more sense. I am, however, very conscious of not letting music become a chore.

jerome.oneil wrote:

While this is technically true, knowing how to play them and knowing how to use them are very different things, agree? I can play locrian up and down the fretboard.  Using it in a musical way? No idea.

Baldguitardude wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

While this is technically true, knowing how to play them and knowing how to use them are very different things, agree? I can play locrian up and down the fretboard.  Using it in a musical way? No idea.

That is true of all things, though.  No point having the most awesome set of tools in the universe if you're the worst carpenter in the world.

You talking to my wife? I've been called an awesome tool before.

Baldguitardude wrote:

You talking to my wife? I've been called an awesome tool before.

Are we married to the same woman?

15 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-02-08 21:16:02)

lol

AS I sit here looking at my guitars after reading this -   I'm pretty sue I should be limited to one entry level six string,  and  my wife would chirp in - "and absolutely no  microphones for singing!" smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

jerome.oneil wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

That is true of all things, though.  No point having the most awesome set of tools in the universe if you're the worst carpenter in the world.

Well heck by that logic Jerome, I shouldnt have but one guitar either, but lets not forget the FUN  of it to.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Well heck by that logic Jerome, I shouldnt have but one guitar either, but lets not forget the FUN  of it to.

I'd be curious for you to  walk me through the chain of logic that lead you to that conclusion.

Because if tools:carpenters as guitars:musicians leads you to that conclusion,  then either you've got a serious logic problem or you're a carpenter that only owns a hammer.

Edit:  After further reading, that came off as kind of snarky and I don't mean it that way.

You're a musician.  You make music (don't deny it, I've heard you!) and are entitled to all the hammers you want.  smile