Topic: I can`t get myself to play.

I have been trying to play. Just don`t have the energy to. I am used to grabbing certain beverages (Genny, Jack Daniels) when I do. Now it is juice or Diet Coke. Going from hours to about 20 minutes when I do. This change of habits isn`t all it`s cracked up to be. No energy to do much of anything.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: I can`t get myself to play.

Hang in there.  It will get better. 
No one said it was gonna be easy- just better in the long run
Hope you make out well my friend

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

hey Joey, I feel your pain. I once enjoyed a libation or two a few years ago, average night (with the band) half bottle of Napoleons finest with several pints of Australia's best amber nectar. What got me to calm down was having to face down a couple of coppers that stopped me for speeding after downing lots of port and brandy. I'd began the night with 2 pints of lager and that's all I told the police I'd had!!! Hard to believe but they believed me, just giving me a warning about speeding thanks to whoever is watching over me. I've heard the "gypsy's" warning (as my mother used to say) and now I have a drink or two but not when I'm driving. I know it's not the same thing, but if your mind and will are strong you will do it.
Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

We have a family member in hospital now as we speak. Once in a responsible job as a secretary to a solicitor, now she's a total wreck due to her passion for vodka and gin. A few months ago she set off on a cruise, on her way from Southampton to Antigua she was such a nuisance they had no option but to lock her up. Put her ashore in Antigua and deported her. Cost her thousands of pounds and only saw the inside of a prison. I feel sure your energy levels will increase as you get away from the JD habit.

Thick as two short planks

You'll wind up a much better player too.  Think of this as overcoming a plateau.  Like learning barre chords lol.

Baldguitardude wrote:

You'll wind up a much better player too.  Think of this as overcoming a plateau.  Like learning barre chords lol.

Yeah, that.    Set aside half an hour a day to practice, and then do it.   Come up with a plan, or use a guided book to help.    I bought this https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Aerobics- … 1423414357 and it's been invaluable for those  times when I'm just not feeling it.  I know at a minimum I can open that thing up to any random page and at least have something to practice.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Don't know if this is going to help but I quit drinking about 7 years ago not because I wanted to but my doctor on the advise of my landlord had me committed to the hospital for severe alcohol addiction I was told later I almost died, talk about a wake up call! I experienced the worst nightmares in my life for several days they had me under surveillance 24/7 after a week I was able to get out of bed with the help of a nurse and a  walker so I walked up and down the corridors and steps gaining my balance back and little by little I started to feel better when I was released I had to do something and like you I was climbing the walls but I stuck to the diet soda and ate healthier meals and started to practice again and after a few months I was feeling normal again just had to develop new habits that were healthier. I can tell you it will not be easy, temptation will always be there but that's where you have to get stubborn and with me that experience in the hospital was one I NEVER wanted to feel again. Today I am in a top notch band with gigs upcoming I have good friends and I lost over 65 lbs on a diet the last 7 months so I feel good and look much better might even find a lady to share some time with that sure beats sitting around the TV smile good luck and hang in there. Russell

"Growing old is not for sissies"

You're one of those stubborn and smart guys who can do whatever he wants. I have every confidence in you.

As for the energy, as alcohol is metabolized it results in a lot of sugar in your system. If you were drinking often, you're body probably got used to having a lot of quick energy from the sugar. I've helped some folks through the initial hump as they decided to get dry, and found that fun size Snickers bars helped when they were lagging energy-wise. Of course, you can't keep that up forever or you'll be 1,000 pounds, but maybe for the first little bit, it might help.  If the quick fix of a fun-size candy bar isn't for you, consider some calisthenics - jumping jacks or burpees or running in place or something to get the blood flowing and some endorphin popping when you feel that "blah" coming on. Just a thought.

I'd wish you good luck, but you don't need it. You've got this.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2017-02-14 01:50:51)

This may help. I put in for retirement from my job today. 3 months left. Working 13-14 hours a day nonstop for years was starting to take its toll.  I will get 2 weeks rest in May and start looking for a new job. Something a little more age friendly. Still holding off on any drinking.  Trying to go all the way with this. Plus, I don`t want to end up like my father. He died in 1984. Nine months before he was going to retire. I still have a lot of life left in me. I was going to have a couple tonight to celebrate. I changed my mind. Hawiian Punch instead.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Russell_Harding wrote:

Don't know if this is going to help but I quit drinking about 7 years ago not because I wanted to but my doctor on the advise of my landlord had me committed to the hospital for severe alcohol addiction I was told later I almost died, talk about a wake up call! I experienced the worst nightmares in my life for several days they had me under surveillance 24/7 after a week I was able to get out of bed with the help of a nurse and a  walker so I walked up and down the corridors and steps gaining my balance back and little by little I started to feel better when I was released I had to do something and like you I was climbing the walls but I stuck to the diet soda and ate healthier meals and started to practice again and after a few months I was feeling normal again just had to develop new habits that were healthier. I can tell you it will not be easy, temptation will always be there but that's where you have to get stubborn and with me that experience in the hospital was one I NEVER wanted to feel again. Today I am in a top notch band with gigs upcoming I have good friends and I lost over 65 lbs on a diet the last 7 months so I feel good and look much better might even find a lady to share some time with that sure beats sitting around the TV smile good luck and hang in there. Russell

My Girlfriend Chris rushed me to the hospital 2 weeks ago.  That was a wake up call for me.  Not planning on drinking anything until I find out what is going on.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Giving up a part of your life, and usually a lot of people associated with it, isn't easy. I was there. When I gave up my vice, which wasn't alcohol,  I not only gave it up, I moved a couple months later, left no forwarding address and only told a few people. It needed to be a clean break for it to work. I had one relapse a couple months after I quit but it ended up reinforcing my resolve to be done with it.  It took me a few more months to start feeling normal again. I didn't even realize I wasn't feeling normal until it started coming back to me. After I was completely free I found that even being around someone that partied the way I used to, I didn't care. Nothing was going to drag me back to the abyss I had been headed for.

Hang with it. It WILL get better. Maybe I'll see you in NY in August.

Without going into detail, my last drink was in 1978 ... I have nothing good to say about alcohol ... it's taken so much from me.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

This may help. I put in for retirement from my job today. 3 months left. Working 13-14 hours a day nonstop for years was starting to take its toll.  I will get 2 weeks rest in May and start looking for a new job. Something a little more age friendly. Still holding off on any drinking.  Trying to go all the way with this. Plus, I don`t want to end up like my father. He died in 1984. Nine months before he was going to retire. I still have a lot of life left in me. I was going to have a couple tonight to celebrate. I changed my mind. Hawiian Punch instead.

Best of luck to you.  That job has been beating you down emotionally for a long time. I'm sure it will be a huge weight off your shoulders.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

14 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-02-15 10:28:49)

It's so great, JJJ, that you're taking steps to address the causes, and not just the symptoms. Atta boy! This adjustment period - along with the guitar apathy - will pass, and you'll soon be enjoying it from a whole new perspective. If your experience turns out like mine, you'll look back someday with a lot of satisfaction with your accomplishments. Hold your head up, buddy!

EVERYTHING they all said! 

I don't know much about much, but I think all the above sounds like really solid advise from folks that have been there or watched others be there... where ever that is.  You've had a rough couple years, and lots of reason to try to force your brain to relax and stop thinking.  I hope you can find a safer alternative while you work through things.  Find a way to let the music move you, take some voice lessons to go along with your guitar knowledge, go try something different like a goofy craft or something (I bet Chris would adore that). 

You got this, and you've got a whole corner of the world supporting you!  Who knows, maybe we WILL see you this summer after all!  Best wishes in the job hunt, after you take some time to unwind and de-stress of course!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

3 beers this whole weekend. Did some playing. Practiced some lead parts. The music was flowing. Looking forward to retirement. Even if it is temporary.  Things are starting to look up. Thanks to everyone for all the support. My friends here all have my back too. That helps a lot.  It is great to see a new beginning on the horizon. No more beating myself up

Enjoy Every Sandwich

https://media.giphy.com/media/11uArCoB4fkRcQ/giphy.gif