1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-02-19 02:10:47)

Topic: Concerts I Wish I Could Have Seen

No one's more thankful for YouTube than myself, and I really enjoy watching concerts of my favorite groups / musicians more than anything else on TV. Living in a small town in a small province of eastern Canada, we're a long trip to any venues where bigger groups would play. Here are my "Top 10" favorite concerts that I would have loved to attend:

1) Jethro Tull  -  "Stormwatch" tour  -  Madison Square Gardens, 1978
2) Pink Floyd  -  "Pulse"  -  Earl's Court, 1994
3) Steve Hackett  -  "Genesis Revisited" tour  -  Royal Albert Hall, 2012
4) David Gilmour  -  "On an Island" tour  -  Gdansk Shipyard, 2008
5) Porcupine Tree  -  "Fear of a Blank Planet" tour  -  Tilburg, 2010
6) Yes  -  "Symphonic" tour - Amsterdam, 2003
7) Peter Gabriel  -  "Secret World" tour  -  Modena, Italy, 1993
8) Rush  -  "Clockwork Angels" tour  -  Cleveland, 2012
9) Led Zeppelin  -  "Celebration Day"  -  London, 2007
10) Tangerine Dream  -  "Electric Mandarine" tour  -  Zurich, 2012

Yup, very glad for YouTube and a decent sound system. Anyone else want to share their regrets?

Re: Concerts I Wish I Could Have Seen

I can't name any specific tours, but there are bands that I have never seen and wished I had the opportunity or made the additional effort to see. Off the top of my head:

- The Who - probably my all time favorite rock band. They just never came close enough for me to see easily. I sure wish I had made an effort when they were in their prime. 
- Led Zeppelin - I was only 16 when they ended, but I have friends who saw them and I wish I went.
- Pink Floyd w/ Roger Waters - I've seen the Gilmour led version several times, but always felt that I never saw the true Floyd. Roger is coming to Tampa in July - maybe I'll finally get to see him then (even if it is on a Tuesday night sad )
- Clapton - I'm a huge fan and he certainly used to tour enough, but for whatever reason I've never had or made the opportunity to see him.   

That's a pretty short list - I've probably been to 100's of concerts, I guess I should feel lucky that I've seen so many amazing shows.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-02-19 14:18:36)

1.) Woodstock. Probably the greatest concert event of all time. The Aquarian Exposition as it was originally billed, was held at a 600 acre dairy farm owned by Max Yasgur in the rural town of Bethel, New York from August 15 to August 18, 1969. Bethel,New York, (actually 40 plus miles southwest of Woodstock). Thirty-two of the best-known musical acts of the time appeared in front of nearly half a million concert goers. The performers at Woodstock were of very diverse styles;
Richie Havens - Tim Hardin - Melanie - Arlo Guthrie - Joan Baez - John Sebastian - Country Joe Mcdonald - Santana - Canned Heat - Janis Joplin with The Kozmic Blues Band
Grateful Dead - Creedence Clearwater Revival - The Who - Jefferson Airplane - The Grease Band - Joe Cocker - Ten Years After - The Band - Blood, Sweat & Tears - Johnny Winter
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Jimi Hendrix - Sha-Na-Na - Ten Years After, and many other lesser know acts.
- I was 17, lived an hour  away - but my Mom would not let me go!)

2)The Beatles – Live On The Ed Sullivan Show, 9th February 1964  ( 73 million. including me, watched on TV) and LIve at Shea Stadium 1965 ( 60,000 people -so loud they could    barely hear themselves sing)
3) Bob Dylan -  Newport Folk Festival – Jul. 25, 1965  ( When he went electric)
4) Rolling Stones - Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, BR – Feb. 18, 2006  ( 2 million at Concert)
5) The Who – Live At Leeds, 14th February 1970  or the Isle of White Festival 1970
6) Queen at Wembley 1970 Live aid 1985  (They will ROCK YOU !)
7) Springsteen at Wembley Stadium - ( I'd get a two for one here - Wembley visit and see the Boss!) Oct 127  2002
8) Grateful Dead at Cornell University - Legendary best Dead Concert ever!
9) Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan's 1st Farm Aid Concert  September 1975  featured 
Alabama,John Anderson,Beach Boys,The Blasters,Bon Jovi,Jimmy Buffett,Glen Campbell,Johnny Cash,David Allan Coe, Lacy J. Dalton
Charlie Daniels,John Denver,Bob Dylan,John Fogerty,Foreigner,Vince Gill,Merle Haggard & the Strangers,Sammy Hagar,Daryl Hall,Don Henley
Waylon Jennings,Billy Joel,George Jones,Rickie Lee Jones,B.B. King,Carole King,Robbie Krieger,Kris Kristofferson,Lone Justice,Lorreta Lynn
Delbert McClinton,John Mellencamp,Roger Miller,Joni Mitchell,Willie Nelson and Family,Randy Newman,Nitty Gritty Dirt Band,Roy Orbison
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers,Bonnie Raitt,Lou Reed,Kenny Rogers,Johnny Rodriguez,John Schneider,Bryan Setzer
Southern Pacific,Tanya Tucker,Eddie VanHallen,Dottie West and Neil Young & International Harvesters
They have raised over $ 45million in the concerts since that one to try to help end world hunger!)
10) Led Zeppelin 1970 Royal Albert Concert 1970  ( Page and Plant - just awesome!)

OMG THIS IS SO HARD !

Here are a few honorable mentions......
The World Series of Rock Concerts in Cleveland Stadium
A)  July 1979
Aerosmith,Ted Nugent,Journey, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, and the Scorpions
B) June 23, 1974
The Beach Boys, Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, Lynyrd Skynyrd, REO Speedwagon
C)  August 4, 1974
Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Climax Blues Band, James Gang

Michael Jackson - Dangerous / Thriller tour  1992 - Bucharest , Romania
Simon and Garfunkel's Concert in Central Park , New York City on September 19, 1981 (1/2 million people!)
Billy Joel at Shea Stadium2008
Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison 1968
Peter Frampton Comes Alive! San Francisco - I think it was at the Cow Palace) 1974-75 - I saw him play three weeks earlier at my college - attendance was about 500 people - Frampton comes alive album came out - 58,000   what a change in month!
Nirvana at the  Reading,England 1992 Festival or the NYC unplugged concerts
Yes  -  "Symphonic" tour - Amsterdam, 2003
Eagles  - Sandiego California   Farewell
Elvis Presley  - San Antonio 1972
Phill Williams and any Chordiestock live concert - I don't know where yet - but would love to see that performance  live and in person  !! smile

and whole lot more !

Since I didn't include any except those included in the Woodstock concert  and Farm Aid Concert- I challenge Jan and Amy ( or anyone else)  to make a list of the greatest Women Performances in concert !  smile

Thanks for torturing my mind  TF ! smile   In an hour from now I will probably have a different list.   smile  smile  smile

Just listening to these this morning on you tube was awesome though - thanks for the inspirataion TF !
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Any Jimi
Any Grateful Dead
Any SRV
Any Jeff Healey
Any Miles Davis
Any Amy Winehouse. 
BB while in his prime.

In terms of still touring acts, I need to see
David Gilmour (again)
Frampton (again)
Phish / Trey Anastasio
James Taylor
Billy Joel

Ps great topic

Shawn Lane "Paris" show.
1970 Atlanta Pop Festival - Jimi's last big show.
Late Zeppelin '75 tour (The Physical Graffiti tour)
The Dwarves, anywhere.
'91 Lollapalooza in Enumclaw, WA.  Notes on this beyond a whole lot of really good acts.

Enumclaw is my home town.  It is a tiny little redneck cow town southeast of Seattle.  It is also home to the King County fairgrounds.  Seattle is the King County seat.    So Lollapalooza brought in all these super alternative acts (Jane's Addiction, Butthole Surfers, Nine Inch Nails, Fishbone, Rollins Band) and their super alternative crowd into tiny little redneck square peg Enumclaw.   The town went nuts.  I was in the Navy at the time  getting ready to deploy to the Persian Gulf, so I couldn't attend.  My mom had been sending me copies of the local newspaper, the Courier-Herald.  After the show, the editorial page took up most of the issue with letters about all these purple haired weirdos invading the town.  I wish I was there not so much due to the concert, but because uptight civic hysterics always amuse me.

Shows I have seen that I'm glad I did see.

Primus at the Palladium in SFO.
Jane's Addiction at Iguanas in Tijuana
Social Distortion at Iguanas in Tijuana
Van Halen 1984 tour
Grateful Dead at Memorial Stadium in Seattle.  This more for the crowd than the show.  Entitled hippies everywhere!
GWAR at the Showbox in Seattle
Bill Frisell at Jazz Alley - I love Bill and have seen him multiple times, but his bass player (Tony Scherr) absolutely robbed this show.
Maynard Ferguson at Jazz Alley - This was actually a terrible show.  Maynard had kind of lost his chops at this point, but he died shortly afterwards so I'm glad I got to see it.
Robert Cray - Key Arena in Seattle - This was the last time I went to Bumbershoot, and that was maybe 1986?.  The city has fairly ruined that festival since.
All that early grunge in a whole lot of venues in Seattle - Those were good days, my friends...
Green River - This band in and of itself didn't amount to much.  Locally they got kind of popular, but former members went on to form bands like Perl Jam, Mudhoney, and Mother Love Bone.  Hugely influential in that regard.
Queensryche - Enumclaw High School.  This might have been 1983?  It was just before they blew up into what they are now.  Town did not freak out.  smile

I'm sure there's more.  I've seen a brazillion shows.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

GOD thats easy for the past, The 50s the 60s the 70s (i covered the 80s pretty good) but still on the bucket list Tom Petty,  Pink, IRON MAIDEN!!!!  Missed them all these years. Halestorm, In this moment,  Foo Fighters, FFDP,  an many more!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I've enjoyed just about every major venue concert I've been to, but to be honest I'm a whole lot happier hanging with the local music folks. Fortunately for me, the area I live in has a lot of live, local music.  There's a vibrant winery and micro-brewery scene in my area, and with all those venues, there's actually a bit of a shortage for good, acoustic live players.  Best scenario you could hope for. I enjoy myself in those situations far more than I do huge music venues.

Of all the concerts I have seen, I think CSNY was best. It wasn't just a CSNY concert.  It was a Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, CSN, CSNY, and Neil Young concert.  They took NO BREAKS. They had no warm up band.  They started playing at 7:00PM. I left at 11:30 because I had to catch a train before midnight and they were still playing. They started with CSN doing an acoustic set, then Stills and Young did a Buffalo Springfield set while Crosby and Nash took a break. Then Stills and Crosby did a Byrds set.  Then they did a full on CSNY set and hit all the big ones.  Then Neil Young did a set.  I left during an extensive rendition of Down By The River.  There were only two back-up players - a drummer and bassist.  I don't know who was on drums, but Duck Dunn was on bass.  He never left the stage in over four hours of playing. Not even during the CSN acoustic set. During the Buffalo Springfield set, Crosby grabbed a bar stool and sat down on it on stage to have the best seat in the house for some awesome music.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

ones i attended first

yes in cardiff, topographic tour

supertramp in swansea about 1973

status quo in llanelli about 1970

family, their goodbye tour

there are more but these were best.

ones i'd like to have attended

any beatles

paul mccartney in cardiff around 2010

status quo llanelli parc y scarlets 2016

any yes

any deep purple (original line up after 1972)

any jethro tull

there are more...lots more

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

10 (edited by beamer 2017-02-22 02:39:49)

You know, I have to tell this story.  Back when OZZY first went solo and was on the Blizzard tour, he came to my town.  All I knew was Crazy Train and Iron man, but I wanted to go very bad.   I was 12.  My parents had bought into the whole Press  hoopla and were afraid for me to go,   However they did let me see KISS later that year (an many more that came to town).  So Scott then turns his allowance money from Kiss and THE WHO records to OZZY.  My first one was actually Diary of a Madman,   It was not until I was 16 that I was able to road trip to Charlotte NC (from Asheville NC) and see him in 85 on the Ultimate Sin tour.  Why do I miss that 1980 show so bad?  I would have gotten to see Randy  Rhodes in his prime and right before he died.  In a turn of events, When I did see Ozzy in 85, I got to see Cliff Burton (amazing bass player for Metallica).  He later died on the European leg of that tour.

Just wanted to share that story.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Gosh, I'd just have to say pretty much ANY concert would be nice.  LOL!  I've led a sheltered life.  I only saw Milli Vanilli (sad huh?), 4 Non-Blondes, and Billy Joel ... I was under 20 years of age for all three concerts.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Gosh, I'd just have to say pretty much ANY concert would be nice.  LOL!  I've led a sheltered life.  I only saw Milli Vanilli (sad huh?), 4 Non-Blondes, and Billy Joel ... I was under 20 years of age for all three concerts.

My early vote for March SOTM is that we nominate based upon our favorite shows we've seen live and in person. smile

BGD
that`s a great idea for SOTM

The King Of Audio Torture

Van Morrisonns,George Harrisons Eric Clapton THE BEATLES ROOF TOP!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I was never a big concert goer as I really don't like crowds and loud music. Still, I saw several of the acts that were big in the late 60's and early 70's.   Groups/soloists I would have liked to seen live:

Beatles when they were starting out and played at small venues
Buddy Holly and the Crickets
Doors
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Simon & Garfunkel
Carter Family
Jim Croce
Monroe Brothers
Woody Guthrie
Flatt & Scruggs
Kris Kristofferson
Staple Singers
Doobie Brothers

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

16 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-02-23 02:45:05)

beamer wrote:

You know, I have to tell this story.  Back when OZZY first went solo and was on the Blizzard tour, he came to my town.  All I knew was Crazy Train and Iron man, but I wanted to go very bad.   I was 12.  My parents had bought into the whole Press  hoopla and were afraid for me to go...

...Why do I miss that 1980 show so bad?  I would have gotten to see Randy  Rhodes in his prime and right before he died.

I saw them in 1981 at the Johnstown War Memorial in Johnstown, Pa. I slowly inched my way towards the stage asking people if they would mind if I took a picture. I got to within 3-4 rows and someone finally said; "Yes, I do mind". So that's where I spent the rest of the night. My brother has the originals right now but here is one of the pics I took that night. He doctored it a bit and made a double image for use in his girlfriend's art gallery. The original is not like this. In the original you can see the "Ozzy" tattooed on his fingers.

ETA: I'll have him email me a few and share them later.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/unclejoesband/Ozzy_zps75ozwz6g.jpg~original

Forgot to answer the question. http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_2926.gif

I've seen a LOT of concerts over the years, and no Amy, they were not all Dead. smile

But I'll start with them.

Grateful Dead- 68x
Yes- 2x
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Outlaws
Molly Hatchet
.38 Special
Kinks
Crosby, Stills and Nash- 3x
Moody Blues
David Bowie
Todd Rundgren and Utopia
Ozzy
Little Feat
Bella Fleck
Arlo Guthrie
Richie Havens
Micheal Hedges
John Pearse

There's probably more but I get kinda blurry eyed when I start trying to remember them all.

A couple that I regret missing are Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. I was invited to Madison Square Garden to see Pink Floyd's "The Wall" tour but I was dead broke at the time and had to turn it down.

Baldguitardude wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

My early vote for March SOTM is that we nominate based upon our favorite shows we've seen live and in person. smile

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you for reminding me!  Thread is up:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 84#p181584 

UJB - SIXTY EIGHT TIMES!  Um... uh... well... no comment.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Concert i missed `Chordie Stock`
seen a few vids but much more next time please.

The King Of Audio Torture

mekidsmom wrote:

UJB - SIXTY EIGHT TIMES!  Um... uh... well... no comment.  LOL!

That's not counting the 4 shows I saw with the variations of the band after Jerry died; 1 in '08 and 3 in '16. Back in the day I knew people that had seen them hundreds of times. I was just a wanna-be compared to a lot of Heads.

I thought of a couple more.

In 1970 Three Dog Night came to my hometown. I didn't actually get into the venue to see them but being it was at a baseball field 2 short blocks from home, I was able to sit on the porch and listen. I also saw Brooks and Dunn.

easybeat wrote:

Sure hope you can make it some year EB!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

There was a time in my life where I had a press pass.  A real honest-to-goodness press card.  I used it to get in to some concerts and access areas that aren't all that accessible to everyone. Sometimes I wouldn't even have film in my camera, but a press photographer has to have a camera with him doesn't he? 

I got in to see Molly Hatchet that way, and Yes (but I didn't know who they were or any of their songs), and .38 Special (who didn't excite me very much I'm sad to say).  Plus a whole lot of regional bands.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

UJB,
You reminded me that I have seen Arlo also. It was at a great little hall. too bad its gone now, but he was awesome, and he had a drunk removed, it was "that" guy who kept screaming for 2 songs over and over, finally Arlo asked security to remove him "Cause I'm the captain of this ship, and you need to go"  LOLOL heck he got a ovation just for kicking the guy out! LOL

easybeat wrote:

Amen!  ChordieStock is the kind of concert I enjoy. Friends making music together or for one another is as good as music gets.