Topic: Grounding issue!

Ok, I have talked about the mods  I did to my sons AXL Strat a few months ago.  Well it tested good at the shop.  We just found out recently that when we plug it in at home,  it has a loud humm. not so bad in first position for the bucker, but as it goes up the selector it gets really bad.  and I know strats and singles have hums,, but not like this! Yet taking it back to the shop,  it did not do it again.   I had them replace the jack and look for loose grounds. Check,  get it home and same thing!  I know its a ground issue because if you touch the jack plate, it grounds and goes away!   It is all in the guitar because I plug it in same cord and amp my guitars are in with no problem. 

Any suggestions for a secondary ground? or should I take it to a different shop?  This same guy worked and modded Bettie with no problems, and fixed my sons acoustic also.  I need to make a quick vid of what is going on for him I guess.  I hate going somewhere else, but I may have too.

Thanks guys.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Grounding issue!

Are you certain that the ground in your house going into the amp is good?  I can recall a particular venue where I couldn't plug into a particular house circuit because it created problems for the PA's amp.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1. When you test at home are you running straight into the amp with no effects in line? (Electro-harmonix fx are particularly noisy in my experience)
2a. What happens when you plug the guitar into a different amp, plugged into the same outlet?
2b. What happens when you plug the guitar into the same amp, different outlet (or different location?)
3. Did the guitar tech use the same guitar same cable same amp, or just same guitar?

Basically I would go about eliminating for any other explanation than the guitar before I spend any more money on the guitar. Assuming you've done all of the above, take both the amp and guitar (and the same cable)  to the guitar shop and plug it in. See what happens there.

I don't know if this will help. You tube has a video  ( 5 things about a Fender Strat ) . Sorry I don't know how to get the direct youtube address.  Any way one item is static build up on Strats. I never heard of this before ,it might be worth watching.

Joe

Baldguitardude wrote:

1. When you test at home are you running straight into the amp with no effects in line? (Electro-harmonix fx are particularly noisy in my experience)
2a. What happens when you plug the guitar into a different amp, plugged into the same outlet?
2b. What happens when you plug the guitar into the same amp, different outlet (or different location?)
3. Did the guitar tech use the same guitar same cable same amp, or just same guitar?

Basically I would go about eliminating for any other explanation than the guitar before I spend any more money on the guitar. Assuming you've done all of the above, take both the amp and guitar (and the same cable)  to the guitar shop and plug it in. See what happens there.

WEll here is what I have done.

As far as a different outlet, no good the whole friggin basement is on the same run! (cheap late 80s house construction)  Tempted to go next door and check. probably should. or go up to kitchen circuit , That should put it all on the guitar.

AXL guitar with same cable into Johnson amp direct, it  happens, Use either of my other guitars with same chord into Johnson, its fine.
AXL into  my rig with effects, happens worse,
Axl into my  rig direct, same as with the Johnson

If the problem were at the outlet, wouldn't ALL my guitars sound like poop? They dont The SG and Bettie (the Squire strat) sound just fine!  its really ticking me off.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I've found some pups to be mighty louder than others, esp hot single coils. 

I have one guitar I need to throw the tuner on in between songs the buzz is so loud.

I would start with replacing the ground wire to the springs then replace the ground from the volume pot to the jack input and all the grounds from  pot to pot but if it was me I would just invest in a  Emerson pre wired setup with paper and oil capacitors I have one in my Strat quiet as a church mouse AND the tone controls really work nice.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … oCNqzw_wcB

This is  your sound were talking about get the best.and the ground and lead wires to the jack are included (rubber coated no soddering)
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16683875_10212206791423741_6997040583328974747_n.jpg?oh=0d44b0bebc45819c38ed2a70bdaeff0b&oe=592DFF6C

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I would start with replacing the ground wire to the springs then replace the ground from the volume pot to the jack input and all the grounds from  pot to pot but if it was me I would just invest in a  Emerson pre wired setup with paper and oil capacitors I have one in my Strat quiet as a church mouse AND the tone controls really work nice.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … oCNqzw_wcB

This is  your sound were talking about get the best.and the ground and lead wires to the jack are included (rubber coated no soddering)
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16683875_10212206791423741_6997040583328974747_n.jpg?oh=0d44b0bebc45819c38ed2a70bdaeff0b&oe=592DFF6C

WEll I guess its down to the ground wire check.  Russ these are all GFS pups.  the two singles are just the same as I have in Bettie,(Brighton rocks) and the bridge is a "Little killer" humbucker http://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--Lil-Kil … 21984.html

As soon as I put my finger on the plate housing and become the ground, its fine.

time to open it up i guess.  I  have spent more on this guitar than it is really worth, but I had the pick ups handy and thought it ould be a cool treat for my son.  now its just  not playable!!!!

Sounds like you have some nice parts I am not familiar with the pickups I have Texas hot coils in my strat with the Emerson setup it only looks like a strat but all the components (tuners,neck,bridge,body) are the best I could find at the time funny how things take on a life of there own I see it as this is my means of expressing myself so I keep searching for improvements its kind of like chess you never quite have enough knowledge so you stay committed. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

WHOOO HOOOOOO  I THINK I NAILD THE PROBLEM!  Its the volume pot!  I just plugged in the guitar, and it was fine, played some, and it sounded like it was starting up, and I tweaked the volume knob,,,, and it went away!  GFS here I come.  Russ Not sure if that set up you have is gonna fit myu budget for this guitar.  I have it now where parts and labor are more than it was ever worth (My son only paid like 100 bucks for it! (LOL)

Spray some of that contact cleaner schmutz in it. You could just have some metallic dust in there or something.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Spray some of that contact cleaner schmutz in it. You could just have some metallic dust in there or something.

GOOD IDEA.  I dont know if that will cure it but worth a try for sure!  I have some right next to the dang amp too LOLOL  but I gotta tel ya, that "Little Killer" bridge pick up sizzels!

13 (edited by beamer 2017-03-16 00:44:22)

just decided, gonna replace some pots.   As the man GFS tech says : " The  Lil Killer is a 15k humbucker compared to a 6.5k single coil so it will blow the Brighton's away. I would suggest 500k pots with the Lil Killers definitely!"  So I am upgrading the pots on both Strats since Bettie has a pretty powerful humbucker and I have noticed some of the same noise at mid volumes.  at 4 bucks each, I think I can handle it smile

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-Custom- … 22992.html

This is why I play acoustic.  It's also why I never play my Yamaha fretless open. It gets a little buzz when open.  When my fingers are on the strings, no buzz.  So I just don't play it open.