Topic: concerts i wish i hadn't seen

we've all missed great concerts, i missed Jimmy Page and Robert Plant who turned up with a new band they were promoting in a Pendine caravan club, they got up to jam later in their set. how did i miss it? i was 50 miles away pulling the engine out my car to fix a big end knock.

so...concerts i wish i'd missed; Argent the second time they'd gigged at Llanelli. they were crap the first time and they played exactly the same set 2nd time even the rubbish jokes.

Mott the Hoople, they were awful! 10 years after were also on the bill but they pulled out last minute ggrrr!

Alexis Corner, we were expecting CCS, but we got blues all night. we had to wait till the end to see local group Man who were brill.

anyone know who CCS were and their one big hit?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: concerts i wish i hadn't seen

I went to the 20th anniversary of Earth Day in Washington DC because John Denver was supposed to play live. He played with a canned backing track. It was like karaoke to his own songs.  Fortunately, the backing track had an issue and he couldn't perform, so he cut out with an apology half way through the first song (Calypso).  The Indigo Girls came out and did a longer set than they were supposed to do and they had whatisname from U2 who hangs out with them along.  That was great.  Much better than karaoke, even by John Denver.  After a speaker told us about the horrors of voting Republican (I was Republican at the time and none too excited about her outlandish claims), John Denver came back out, saying he borrowed a guitar from Emily Sailers (one of the Indigo Girls) and he proceeded to do I think it was six songs with just him and guitar playing like a pub singer.  That was awesome.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that I got the concert that I wanted to see, but it wasn't the one scheduled which I didn't want to see. 

I may have just confused myself.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If I'm right you're saying....every cloud has a silver lining. Or...roses are red violets are blue, they grow in a garden covered in poo? That's the watered down version.

This past summer I saw the Marshall Tucker Band (or what's left of them) and was so disappointed. The original lead singer was still performing and he was terrible. His voice was gone and he sounded like he was just mumbling random words and would stop mid verse to flirt with women standing by the stage. The sound tech must have been sleeping because all the guitar leads were buried but the flute parts were so jacked up it felt like spikes being shoved in your ears. I had waited years to see these guys and afterwards realized I should have kept waiting

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

bswyers wrote:

This past summer I saw the Marshall Tucker Band (or what's left of them) and was so disappointed. The original lead singer was still performing and he was terrible. His voice was gone and he sounded like he was just mumbling random words and would stop mid verse to flirt with women standing by the stage. The sound tech must have been sleeping because all the guitar leads were buried but the flute parts were so jacked up it felt like spikes being shoved in your ears. I had waited years to see these guys and afterwards realized I should have kept waiting

The Marshall Tucker Band played at our county fair a couple years ago.  I agree - it was one of the worst performances I've ever heard.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dylan - at Doubleday field in Cooperstown a few years ago

It was awful.  Placed was packed - but  many left halfway through.  I stayed for entire event b/c I'm a Dylan diehard no matter what. My wife and daughter left to go to local bar for drinks.  At the end- I kind of wished I had left with them.
With that being said two years later I saw him in NYC and it was great.   
Guess everyone can be lousy some nights. smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

It was awful.

I forgot about Dylan in the other concert thread; with good reason I guess.

I saw him in DC in '90 or '91and had the same experience. He had 10-12 too many beers. The lyrics were slurred and he could barely walk. I very forgettable show.

Then there was a band called Angel. I saw them at the Tower Theater just outside of Philly '79. It is a relatively small venue with a capacity of around 2500. The "band" had the amps cranked up so loud it hurt. The lead singer screamed unintelligible lyrics into his mic. The lead guitarist was trying to play as many notes as possible into every measure of every song and the drummer, who should have been setting the timing, sounded more like a jackhammer breaking up concrete on the street. There seemed to be no rhythm at all; just this overpowering noise that I felt had bore no resemblance to music.

8 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-02-25 16:35:41)

I have seen Dylan 4 times and the first time he was touring with Paul Simon. Dylan went on for an hour, then Paul Simon for an hour, and then they played several songs together. The sound of those two singing at the same time was like oil and water mixed.

The other times Dylan was great. In the time period you saw him I wonder if it was beer or something else.  Do you remember the Byrds? They sang Dylan better than anyone else including Dylan.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Classical Guitar wrote:

I have seen Dylan 4 times and the first time he was touring with Paul Simon. Dylan went on for an hour, then Paul Simon for an hour, and then they played several songs together. The sound of those two singing at the same time was like oil and water mixed.

The other times Dylan was great. In the time period you saw him I wonder if it was beer or something else.  Do you remember the Byrds? They sang Dylan better than anyone else including Dylan.

The Byrds are one of my all-time favorite bands.  Back in the late 60's they came to our town as part of a swing through three Ohio towns in one evening.  They borrowed instruments from the opening act, spent ten minutes tuning and then played for about 20-25 minutes before rushing off again.  I was pretty disappointed but still loved their sound.

I went to see Dylan a few years ago with my youngest daughter.  The band playing with him had a blue-grass sound and Dylan's vocals were hard to hear.  It wasn't what I was expecting but I have to admit I really enjoyed it.

My all-time favorite concert was Joan Baez.  She walked out on the stage with just a guitar, sat on a chair and kept the audience spell-bound for two hours.  It was at that moment that I realized that well-written songs performed by a talented  solo singer trumped loud music, light shows and stage theatrics.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-02-25 19:26:26)

This is a completely awesome topic ... I bow to you, Sir Phill !

I have four crap-shows in mind:

a) Joe Cocker (Halifax, mid-70's)
He was so drunk that he barely got through 3 or 4 songs. He then tried to climb into the back of his piano, and a couple of roadies had to free him from his predicament. The concert came to a close, and we were all eventually refunded for our tickets. He acted like a pompous idiot during his 10-minutes on stage, and I have no respect for him as a result.

b) Seals & Crofts / Nazareth (Halifax, mid-70's)
What kind of promoter books S&C to open for Nazareth? Halfway through their 3rd song, the audience booed them off the stage, and Nazareth came on for a terrific performance.  It was a weird experience.

c) April Wine (Montreal, mid-70's)
The sound system blended everything into a wall of noise, with no one instrument being discernible from the rest. I give the sound people 0/10 for their part. When lead-singer Myles Goodwin stepped to the front of the stage, he played the worst guitar solo I've ever heard by anyone claiming to be a professional. Missed notes, dropped pick twice, and just plain dreadful. We were about 15-feet away from him, and we all booed him at the top of our lungs. He cut it short, and we all cheered. Pretty cruel, but he should have left the lead guitar work to Gary Moffatt (who was quite good).

d) Rockin' the Island (Baddeck, Cape Breton, mid-70's)
An outdoor weekend concert with 6 or 8 decent bands was advertised, and we bought tickets and went. We got there, saw the stage, lighting, PA system all set up, so we pitched our tents along with hundreds of others. No bands ever showed up, and no explanation was ever given. A bunch of people trashed the stage setup, but we just left.

I have to admit to never going to any big name concert, the stories above make me feel like I didn't miss much. I used to work at a local bar many years ago and heard some great music played by local bands. A lot of it was cover songs with some well done originals thrown in. I was always amazed at the talent of these local bands.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

TIGLJK wrote:

It was awful.  Placed was packed - but  many left halfway through.  I stayed for entire event b/c I'm a Dylan diehard no matter what. My wife and daughter left to go to local bar for drinks.  At the end- I kind of wished I had left with them.
With that being said two years later I saw him in NYC and it was great.   
Guess everyone can be lousy some nights. smile

Sounds like the time I saw him. He was touring minor league ball parks with Willie Nelson. Willie was awesome, sang every popular song, interacted with the audience. It was a joy to see - actually brought tears to my eyes, seeing this American Icon.

Then came Dylan - all electric amped to the max, totally incoherent vocals and not a single song recognizable. I left early. I still am a huge fan, but man was that disappointing.

That's why I didn't see The Who last year when I was in Vegas. After the fiasco in the Super Bowl half time a few years back, I didn't want taint my love for Pete and Roger by witnessing it in person.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

musical legends like Dylan  or John Denver have an aura about them which shines through even when they're not at their best, i suppose if you didn't know who they were you wouldn't have such high expectations. as for Joe Cocker i saw him about 1979 playing in Swansea he and his band were supersonic and one of the best shows i have ever seen. i also heard he was playing live in Cardiff a few years back as support to one of those one hit wonders that no one can remember now, and he was fantastic again (it was an afternoon concert) but all the kids drifted off as they only came for the "pretty boys" that were miming...what has the world come to?

I'd have high expectations to come see you in concert Phill !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

you say the nicest things Jim..xxx

Okey dokey ... this is starting feel weird. lol

What I wish I had not seen, , refer to other thread  on concerts and my story of Danny Joe Browns acoustic show, 
Quiet Riot, We got up and left,
Rick Derringer in Ocean City MD around 82 or 83.
Rosington Collins, was just so so

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Phill Williams wrote:

musical legends like Dylan  or John Denver have an aura about them which shines through even when they're not at their best, i suppose if you didn't know who they were you wouldn't have such high expectations. as for Joe Cocker i saw him about 1979 playing in Swansea he and his band were supersonic and one of the best shows i have ever seen. i also heard he was playing live in Cardiff a few years back as support to one of those one hit wonders that no one can remember now, and he was fantastic again (it was an afternoon concert) but all the kids drifted off as they only came for the "pretty boys" that were miming...what has the world come to?

Phill if you saw a bad night for Denver,, it must have really been bad.  I saw him twice with my family in WV.  He was incredible each time.  He knew how to entertain!  Such a shame he died as he was coming back up in popularity.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)