Topic: Brain cell takes a vacation.

So there we are sat in the pub Sunday lunchtime. A few of us passing the guitar round downing a few beers and playing a few tunes. Although not particularly a Beatles fan I thought I'd play 'In My Life' just coz it's easy and I know it. I'm sure you're all familiar with the intro with that very recognisable guitar riff, so off I go. The only problem was it came out as Tracy Chapmans 'Fast Car'. I have never played this before in my life and don't know where it came from, but it wouldn't leave me. As I don't know the lyrics to Fast Car I had to abandon that project and settle for an old favorite of mine 'Four Strong Winds'. Not sure if the brain cell was having a day off or it was swimming in Titanic Plum Porter.

Thick as two short planks

Re: Brain cell takes a vacation.

I wasn't swimming in any porter but I did the dame thing a few weeks ago. My partner and I were playing woody Guthrie's " Goin Down the Road". When he went into a solo, for whatever reason, I went into a song called "Rosa Lee McFall". They're both the same chords but in a slightly different pattern.  All of the sudden we were out of sync and he looked over at me with this look that said; "what the heck are you doing"? I quickly realized what I had done but have no idea why I changed songs right in the middle.

KIR ... thanks for making me feel normal. My brain cells will take vacations without notice, but I feel the majority of them have emigrated somewhere ... and have left no forwarding address.

OMG- I did the same thing this week end - I was trying to learn  Uncle Kracker's Follow Me,  and every dang time I'd try to play it without looking at the chords on paper, right  in the middle of it I ended up playing the chorus of Drift Away by Dobie Gray.     

I think my old brain cells that long ago got immersed in alcohol keep pushing back to re-emerge at their own chosen time   smile 

Great getting older ain't it ? smile   wink

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Happens all the time.  I often start to play Billie Joe Shaver's "Live Forever" and out comes Jim Croce's "Age."  There are some others I regularly conflate as well.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've stopped bothering ,I just have my stand with the words ,if Pete Townsend had to do it at Glastonbury then who am I to not do likewise.lol.

i once played a club with a girl vocalist. before we began the first song, "cotton fields" (we came straight in with no intro) i strummed the chord to get the level. while we were waiting to be introduced the organist hit a few notes out of spite cos we weren't using him and of course we came in in the wrong key. looking back i suppose we could have made it into a joke but we didn't and got paid off...did you have to remind me of that?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thats funny that how brain functions and remind us when we need to travel even in our tough time, so I need to together also manage things accordingly as previous one vacation was not good enough to me.