1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-01-24 16:19:56)

Topic: Great Reading!

My younger son got me this book for Christmas, and I just finished reading it this morning. It is chock full of details about the electric guitar's origins, the main people in it's development, and all of the history behind it's growth in popularity. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. 5 stars!

http://blog.concertkatie.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/playitloud.png

Re: Great Reading!

I bet it mentioned Les Paul's "The Log", didn't it, TF?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

It did indeed, Bill.

Aside of the fact that Les was "larger than life" in his own eyes, he did really take George Beauchamp's pickup idea to the next level. His motto was "the string is the thing", and he focused on converting the string's vibrations directly to electricity, apart from the tonal characteristics of the traditional hollow body. The Log was his first attempt at this, as you obviously know ... and away we go.

The one bad part of the book I must mention is the almost total absence of the 70's. The authors jump from the late-60's to Eddie Van Halen in the late-70's, with many of the great 70's guitarists almost ignored. For example, David Gilmour isn't even mentioned in the entire book!

Very good read. However, it is a pity that in our region its a bit hard to buy. Tried with united states ip to watch on Amazon, maybe buy there. In any case, thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a very good book.

Strummerboy Bill -= good to see you back in the fray !!! smile   ya see - that's the kinda expert stuff we miss when you're not on here !!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

My favorite textbook is Sipser’s Introduction to the Theory of Computation, In my first year at Caltech, I took our theory of computation class. And I remember staying up late at night reading this, unable to put it down. That class put me on the path to doing a PhD in CS instead of pure math. I now jump at the chance to TA our theory of computation class every year, because I have such fond memories of taking it.