1 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-04-29 11:40:50)

Topic: Land Where The Poets Died

I've been working on this for about a week or so.  I think I'm pretty close to where  I like where it is right now.  (I'm sure it needs some tweaking)
I was thinking back to all the great poets and songwriters that used to standup for people and shake the sh*t out of people's conscience.  Doesn't seem that we have that anymore - hence this song.  Hope you like it

[song]
{t:Land Where The Poets Died}
[C]  [Em]  [F]  [G]  [C]
do you
[C]remember  when the world had  it’s conscience [Em]wakened
[F]when poets dared to speak words others had [C] forsaken
[F]with  choices to make and chances we thought worth [C]taking
[G]hoping that change could be a  miracle in the [C] making

Chorus
[Am]They spoke of justice and freedom  in an unkind [Em]world
[Am]Cried out in a voice that would not be de[Em] nied
But [F] in  the shadows of time those verses  have faded a[C]way
And [G]now we’re living in the land where the [F]poets voice has [C]died

[C]Words that healed, and  somehow seemed to [Em] last
[F] words that changed our  lives in  a world so vague and [C]vast   
[F]Defiant voices that put  new colors upon  our[C]masts
Our [G] champions of hope, fighting  to fix  the wrongs  of the[C] past

Chorus

[C] truth spoken  with the  power of a rolling  [Em]tide
[F] With strength in their voices and anger in their [C] eyes
[F]They would not be silenced, though many, many  had [C]tried
But [G]now it seems we’re  the land where the poets [C] died

Chorus
[G]now we’re living in the land where the [F]poets voice has [C]died
[G]now we’re living in the land where the poets voice has [C]died

[song/]

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Land Where The Poets Died

Great lyrics  Jim I must give this one a try.

Another big one Jim. I just read this as a stand up piece of poetry, and let's be fair, it's poetry at it's best. Can't wait to see what Graham and yourself will do to it musically.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Jandle 2017-04-29 10:42:05)

Another good one Jim ( no surprise there smile )   haven`t had much time to follow up on any of your songs as I have been away but looking forward to catching up and listening to what you come up with on this one smile

(Edited by Jandle for spelling mistake)

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-04-29 12:59:13)

Thank you for your kind words.

I am looking forward to Graham's version (or anyone else if they so choose to).

this is the link to the chordpro version which I think is easier if you want to print or transpose keys.
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

this is a quick take on it I did this morning... I posted on soundcloud........................................with sincere apologies to your ears smile
https://soundcloud.com/tigljk/land-where-the-poets-died
Like I said, I really just enjoy writing... and like to hear real musicians take care of the music part smile 

Thank you so much again  for you comments! smile
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

This is just amazing TIG you are such a talented writer. Quite close to me we have a pub called The Dead Poets, and once a month theirs a meeting of The Dead Poets Society where talented poets and musicians showcase their latest works. This would raise the roof. Great work.

Thick as two short planks

Wow ... that's powerfully-written high-calibre stuff, TIG. Reminds of something the late great Leonard Cohen might create. Beautiful!

keepitreal wrote:

This is just amazing TIG you are such a talented writer. Quite close to me we have a pub called The Dead Poets, and once a month theirs a meeting of The Dead Poets Society where talented poets and musicians showcase their latest works. This would raise the roof. Great work.

Keep It Real  Thank you - That would be awesome, I'd love to get it to them.  Is there a website they use ?

Tenement Funster wrote:

Wow ... that's powerfully-written high-calibre stuff, TIG. Reminds of something the late great Leonard Cohen might create. Beautiful!

Thank you TF ! smile To be even casually mentioned with the name Leonard Cohen blows my mind.   yikes

I really do believe it to be true though,   we were so fortunate to have such great poets and songwriters that took incredible stands, on important social issues. Today it seems that not many do because they are afraid of the PC backlash.  big_smile
I really am hoping for and  looking forward to a Graham, Phill, or someone else's  version because my voice and playing sure ain't gonna make it smile

Thank you so much for your kind words Rick!  smile

Jim

Awesome lyrics, Jim! Gonna check it out.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

TY Bill

Thought provoking this song, I like the lyrics and message smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan