Topic: An Invitation

If anyone happens to be in the Portland, Oregon area the weekend of April 29-30, 2017 you might consider a visit to the Northwest Handmade Instrument Show.  I just received my invitation in the mail and thought I'd pass it along to the Community.

www.nwmusicalinstrumentshow.org

Warning: there is a small admission (less than a cup of Starbucks) and parking can be "interesting" primarily because of narrow streets on-campus.  But I always learn something and see more than my share of beautiful instruments, listen to some very good Musicians over in the concert area, and am pleased to have "left my checkbook at home".  Sudden onset of GAS is likely.  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

2 (edited by beamer 2017-04-12 20:40:02)

Re: An Invitation

Doug,
I forgot you are in Portland.  I might have to take a train trip.  Family can bump around town and ill check out the show.  Sounds like UBER or Taxi is best bet for that one smile

Only 5 hours each day, that is not a big window LOL.  Maybe we can do some picking ourselves.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hey Scott, I'm not in Portland.... just about an hour and a half South though.  I've made that trip for the show a couple of times and it's a nice venue but a bit crowded.  Actually Portland has awesome mass transit with light rail and such that can get you anywhere in the metro area literally faster than driving.... a day pass is cheap (less than uber or ??) and limitless.  Gotta love trains!!  Here to Seattle was only like $35, and back when Mom lived in Kingston, we'd Amtrak to Seattle, walk the couple of blocks down to Coleman Docks and Ferry over to the Island with a 3 block stroll up to Momma's.  Not even gonna mention the Seahawks trips.... always overnighters and still less than gasoline. smile

Well only 2 weeks to go and finally (but later than expected), the Concert/Demonstration schedule has been added to the site.  My planning usually hinges on who's playing when as I only attend one of the two days and as Beamer said five hours per day is a fairly small window for a show that has been going on for as long as this one.

Doug
I just spent some time going through the photos of the luthiers on the site.
They are so impressive.  I cannot fathom the time, talent, and passion that went into creating such masterpieces.
This is art at a whole different level. I wish I wasn't 3000 miles away, I would love to see them in person.
In addition,  the performers (I would anticipate) will be of matching quality - making this a really unique and worthwhile event.
Be sure to post some pictures of your visit.
thanks for sharing

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Sure wish something like that were a bit closer.  Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There's another one in La Conner, WA in the middle of May !!     http://laconnerguitarfestival.com/index.html

Perhaps a little closer to our Seattle based and BC Friends.  Another showcase of Lutherie as Art and Function.

Well plans are firmed up, and Jeff & I are going to make the trip up to the Portland show on Sunday.  Jeff & I have been playing music together for something like 35 years, and this weekend just happens to fit into his schedule as well.  Perhaps there will be other members present tool, but how to tell Chordieans from the rest of the herd.... I have no idea!!

See you there (or not).... but have a good weekend anyway !

Made the trip up and back.... nice weather (for a change) and met a bunch of great Luthiers who were willing to chat a bit about woods, sound, finishes and motivation for spending the time to build instruments that can only be considered functional works of Art.  Managed to get a few photos good enough to share, but had some quality problems with back lighting and exposure control with all that darn sunshine filtering through the windows of the venue.  I'll find a host and post links later.

Was thankful that the checkbook didn't make the trip as there wasn't enough room in the van for all the ones that might have been candidates to bring home.  Most of the folks there were happy to let you take their stuff out of the hall into one of the side rooms and actually play for a bit without sending an armed guard.... amps and cables provided, "bring your own talent".  wink

Across the commons  area in Wiegand Hall up on the third floor (stairs or an elevator!!), the Chapel had been set up for demonstrations and performances by local talent using instruments featured on the show floor.  So there was a steady stream of live music to enjoy on a 15 minute rotation.  All in all a nice way to spend a Sunday Afternoon that otherwise might have been "wasted" doing something like yard-work, or similar chores. smile smile

Oh Yeah... I "bumped into" that other Doug Smith (the one with the Grammys) hanging out in one of the halls playing all by himself and we introduced ourselves and enjoyed a nice mini-concert in between sets.  Naturally that photo of the two of us was one of the ones that was totally junk, but I wanted one just so I could prove to everyone that we are two separate people.... Really !!

Quite Cool Doug !  Wish I could've gone as well.
A poor pic is better than no pic smile

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke